Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Phoenix Force Affiliation... is a thing.

  1. #1

    Phoenix Force Affiliation... is a thing.

    Thanks to @Dave (for submitting the question) we have another Rules forum answer.

    Phoenix Force globals and affiliations

    Postby reservepooldave Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:26 pm
    1) Do the Phoenix Force OP cards (Cyclops, Colossus, and Phoenix Force) carry the Phoenix Force affiliation? The logo underneath the cost where affiliations usually are would appear to be that affiliation based upon assumptions, but has never been officially defined.

    2) Colossus: Phoenix Force carries the following global:
    Pay . Double the attack and defense of one of your fielded Phoenix Force dice this turn. Limit once per turn.
    Is this ability referring to the Phoenix Force character die only? The Phoenix Force subtitle? The Phoenix Force affiliation (if it exists based upon question 1)?

    Hi Dave!

    Thanks for the question. (1) Yes, the Phoenix Force OP cards have the Phoenix Force affiliation. (2) The Global Ability on Colossus: Phoenix Force refers to characters with the Phoenix Force affiliation.

    -The Dice Masters Rules Team

    http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...d924276510f7f1

  2. #2
    This, to me, is wrong on so many levels. Now it's official though. Welcome to your new meta folks.

  3. #3
    I don't see it being game-breaking (or meta-shaping). Infiltrate is a BAC, available to both players, and so is the PF Global.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    I don't see it being game-breaking (or meta-shaping). Infiltrate is a BAC, available to both players, and so is the PF Global.
    Going first is also only available to 1 of 2 players once per game. This is the main problem. Contrary to what people might say, it is by no means difficult to achieve a game ending combo on turn 3 now with Wolverine: Formerly weapon 10.

  5. #5
    There were other turn 3 combos too. The thing is if this combo is a big thing the best teams won't be the combo, it'll be the FWX teams that aren't based on the combo since they can still combo against the combo teams while having more utility for that matchup while also being able to be good decks against non-combo teams. Having a combo that relies on globals and basic actions will never create a meta that doesn't have options against it.

    Also WOL will give us Mera which gives us a global that makes the combo bad.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    There were other turn 3 combos too. The thing is if this combo is a big thing the best teams won't be the combo, it'll be the FWX teams that aren't based on the combo since they can still combo against the combo teams while having more utility for that matchup while also being able to be good decks against non-combo teams. Having a combo that relies on globals and basic actions will never create a meta that doesn't have options against it.
    Agreeing with @Scum a lot today. JT, who ran this combo team at Gen Con, acknowledged as much. In fact, that was the theme of his entire article on this combo.

  7. #7
    J
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    This, to me, is wrong on so many levels. Now it's official though. Welcome to your new meta folks.
    How, in any way, is it wrong? They're all Pheonix Force characters, from the Pheonix Force OP kit, with the same affiliation icon. It was one of the few things that was clear in the recent past.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by IgwanaRob View Post
    J

    How, in any way, is it wrong? They're all Pheonix Force characters, from the Pheonix Force OP kit, with the same affiliation icon. It was one of the few things that was clear in the recent past.
    I, as well as my entire local area, interpret the text exactly as it appears, boosting a phoenix force die (Phoenix Force the Character). I have no choice but to accept the ruling, but I don't have to like it.

  9. #9
    The language matches other cards that reference affiliation.

  10. #10
    I take text exactly as it appears too
    I'm allowed to ***** about it but hey I'll have to accept what it does

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    The language matches other cards that reference affiliation.
    The difference here is you have an actual card named Phoenix Force, and the affiliation was never named until now. Again, I have no choice to accept the ruling, but I think my group's logic is completely reasonable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •