Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Release Burnout?

Release Burnout?

I know everyone here are junkies, so I may be the only one who feels this way. Does anyone else feel that the set release schedule is a little to aggressive? I feel like I have barely been able to explore and play with Age of Ultron, and when age of Ultron came out I felt the same way about Justice League. Now War of Light is like three weeks away, and Amazing Spiderman is just two more months after that.

Then in the first half of 2016 there is a TMNT box set, a third DC set and probably something else. I know the argument is, you do not have to buy them all. I get that, but the thing is I do want to get them all I just do not want to do it every two months.

My wife and I have already decided to sit Spiderman out because we have more interest in the next DC set (and hopefully next D&D set). Am I just in the minority or does anyone else feel like new sets come out too close together?

I feel the opposite. I usually you go for the single characters I really like (DC for me was Joker Harley Deathstroke ) So I say the more the merrier. I like to try to at least rock my favorite characters over meta stuff (doesn't always work in my favor) so with constant sets it keeps it fresh for me and excited for new things to be released. Ive only ever bough a gravity feed of age of ultron and D and D the rest where just loose packs and singles. But if I was a collector like you I d be very frustrated with the way its going by rarity more the set release full arts and 8 super rares make everything hard to get it seems and drives up prices on singles I think im done with gravity feeds after pulling zombie red skull and captain universe in mu aou feed.

I want them to bring the DC sets out faster, lol. Need to catch up to Marvel.

The set was already pushe'd back a month. It was supposed to be this August but it needed more time for drafting and other events. I'm fine with a new one coming out already. It'll be what, a couple of weeks before the new one.
    What's the difference between magic and Dice Master releases?

Wiz kids need testers from actual players who compete and a staff of writters. They need more people. Lot of mistakes that need fixing
    Games still young and hopefully they'll gather data in the coming years.

You are not the only one that feels that way. I tried to get into Magic a couple of years back and was feeling set burnout. I felt that dice masters might be different. Like many others thre is always a feeling like you would like to get everything. I love that the price point for the game is lower than others and a gravity feed will get you most of the cards. It would be nice to have a slower release cycle. Though I expect that this will never happen. Look at clixs and how they are on a similar cycle. So to make this response even longer.

I feel your pain.

I also feel it is too much too fast. But, if you have a decent community, try talking to your community or FLGS or event runners about doing limited events from previous sets, MARVEL only events, DC only events, 2015 releases only events, etc.
    I think easing yourself away from unlimited, and persuading your local players to do the same, can really benefit release burnout. Not all of us are training for world's next year, so you don't have to pretend to create some ultimate unbreakable combo from the entire Dice Masters line, buying a complete set of everything in the process. Just trying to build the best team "in set" or "in genre" really cuts out the amount you need to think about/purchase.

I'm definitely a little burnt out on the release schedule. As one of the two main sources of single cards in my area (the other being theroyalfalcon, as we both buy a case), it gets expensive. 8 super rares making finding the one you need tricky aside, as a collector I'm now expected to somehow get 4 unique chase rares, which are roughly 1 in 10 boxes, in 2 months. I can keep up for now but it can't keep going like this. I would vote for 4-5 main sets per year, 1 marvel, 1 dc, 1 d&d, 1 yugioh and maybe another marvel/dc set or another tmnt style thing.

I'm used to it from Heroclix. I'm not trying to be negative, but I've always assumed Wizkids business model is identical to that of a puppy mill. Crank out as many dogs as fast as possible with as few staff to maintain the operation - with little regard if their puppies have genetic issues or other such internal defects.

Half of me loves it because it gives me tons of shiny, new toys to play with. The other half is burned out because I'm drowning in new toys.

If you look at it from the perspective of someone who wants to collect all the sets, yeah, every 2 months may be too fast for some people. If you look at it from the perspective of someone who only cares about one IP (just Marvel, or just DC), it's probably just right. If someone is only into D&D or only YGO, it's probably way too slow. As long as the current release schedule is meeting their sales expectations, it'll probably continue at the current pace.

Well like every game to collecting, i try to overlook this shadow and just wait. Sometimes it is really the best not to focus on the newest stuff and wait for second set. There are benefits to that,you will have 2 sets to discover at one time and so on.

Sure i would go to events and so even without the new cards. So while i am waiting for AOU to be released here i will not buy some stuff from it, because for reasons.

I am a rule junkie and creating teams and learning some team mechanics is more fun as cracking packs. I did only once this "BUy a gravity feed in a group" and it was ok but not overwhelming. It is the same as when you get your beloved board game and you know "no time, no people to play it"...

And to announce, after saturday when the worst happens in our local store, i will stay away from this game as a player. I hope i can help behind the scenes and as a judge, but right now this game is not worth to convince people to play it(i am talking from my local spot).

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I'm definitely a little burnt out on the release schedule. As one of the two main sources of single cards in my area (the other being theroyalfalcon, as we both buy a case), it gets expensive. 8 super rares making finding the one you need tricky aside, as a collector I'm now expected to somehow get 4 unique chase rares, which are roughly 1 in 10 boxes, in 2 months. I can keep up for now but it can't keep going like this. I would vote for 4-5 main sets per year, 1 marvel, 1 dc, 1 d&d, 1 yugioh and maybe another marvel/dc set or another tmnt style thing.
    Wait, are you calling this game expensive? I buy a case + starter per set, so that's about just under $160. Back when I was waiting tables I'd make that much in a shift easily, and now that I'm doing ANYTHING above waiting tables, it's even less of a thing.

Also, nobody expects you to do anything. Listen, I have OCD myself in ways, from counting the mile markers on the highway was a kid, to my whole life not wanting to step onto cracks, etc..., and I don't even think OCD has anything to do with most completionists. I think it was very telling when you said "I'm not expected to somehow get...," because where are these expectations coming from? Nobody said you can't wait to get everything after it's been out for a bit, or that you actually have to collect one of every card, including chases, etc... That's all on you, and isn't a valid complaint about release schedule, since most people don't have hang-ups thinking they're owed the opportunity to easily procure every card in what is supposed to be a limited, collectible game.

I love the release schedule. It's so cheap that's it's basically like filling my gas tank per gravity feed (when pre-ordered), so I'm basically filling a super gas tank and buying some snacks when I make my order for each set.

I just don't think it's fair to use your own hang-up of being a completionist to argue that product is released too quickly.

The release schedule is just about perfect, as by the time the new stuff has come out, I've been bored for a couple weeks already AT LEAST.

Anyway, I don't mean to call you out, but I don't want Wizkids to think that's a prevalent attitude (that it's too hard to "collect 'em all"), so they should slow down releases.

Also, War of Light was "supposed" to have already been released on Wednesday August 12th or 19th, and it, like every set will be in the future, was delayed a month, which is a long time considering the average time between releases. That adds a good 25% more time between releases.

I'm very happy with the release schedule, and could use it moved up by about two weeks or so, if not three to four.

I'm "in for a penny, in for a pound." It works for me.

I think the release schedule is too fast, and not because of the cost (though I am finding that increasingly hard to justify).

I think it's too fast because we don't have the time to really explore, ask questions about, and get rulings on, a set before the next is coming out.

All it will take is one set I don't care about to be released for me to call it quits on new sets. Maybe I'll be done after Spider-Man and TMNT. There are really a lot of dice and cards to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    I think the release schedule is too fast, and not because of the cost (though I am finding that increasingly hard to justify).

I think it's too fast because we don't have the time to really explore, ask questions about, and get rulings on, a set before the next is coming out.
    Can't believe I forgot to mention this, chalk it up to me posting on the way to work again this morning. Not only is collecting a pain and the game being expensive to properly buy into a new set, but we really don't get enough time to actually play with each set. If you are lucky enough to have a local tournament once a week like I do, 2 months only gives you about 8 tournaments to play with an entire 100+ card set. Let's look at it this way. If you were to play with a new team of 8 unique cards from the set every week, the next set would be out before you'd even had a chance to tourney-test the set. The more I think about this, the crazier it becomes. It's crazy to me that there are some people who actually get bored with a new set so quickly and want the next one rushed out asap, quality control errors and all aside. I think they need to take some time to actually enjoy what they have and look at the bigger picture, rather than demand more and more increases to the card pool. Which, I may add, only serves to accelerate powercreep and create broken cards and/or strategies to make the game seem new (by invalidating older cards) which, if my experience with games has taught me, they will no doubt complain about on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Can't believe I forgot to mention this, chalk it up to me posting on the way to work again this morning. Not only is collecting a pain and the game being expensive to properly buy into a new set, but we really don't get enough time to actually play with each set. If you are lucky enough to have a local tournament once a week like I do, 2 months only gives you about 8 tournaments to play with an entire 100+ card set. Let's look at it this way. If you were to play with a new team of 8 unique cards from the set every week, the next set would be out before you'd even had a chance to tourney-test the set. The more I think about this, the crazier it becomes. It's crazy to me that there are some people who actually get bored with a new set so quickly and want the next one rushed out asap, quality control errors and all aside. I think they need to take some time to actually enjoy what they have and look at the bigger picture, rather than demand more and more increases to the card pool. Which, I may add, only serves to accelerate powercreep and create broken cards and/or strategies to make the game seem new (by invalidating older cards) which, if my experience with games has taught me, they will no doubt complain about on the internet.
    No Event since April..... Packs cost doublbe the amount here, but yeah i wished there would be some more involving the in the OP Kits with Events for it to learn all the cards a little bit. Where is the Justice????
    But we didnt even scratched DC here good enough. It feels more like a filler Set until AOU.

Ive already drafted AOU 5 times. Its draft,constructed, draft etc. I'm bored of this set and I'm looking forward to the next one. Last draft that was Yugioh.

The release time is fine.

Wizkids just needs actually pick up on their rulings or re-vamp everything else. Collect all the data and make a final note.

That's the problem with collecting cards. You dont have to. I just see it as a waste of money. Ill just buy the cards I want and play with them. Saves me a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Ive already drafted AOU 5 times. Its draft,constructed, draft etc. I'm bored of this set and I'm looking forward to the next one. Last draft that was Yugioh.

The release time is fine.

Wizkids just needs actually pick up on their rulings or re-vamp everything else. Collect all the data and make a final note.

That's the problem with collecting cards. You dont have to. I just see it as a waste of money. Ill just buy the cards I want and play with them. Saves me a lot of money.
    I do want to state, I wasn't bothered by this until they added 4 chase rares into a set and doubled the number of super rares. If the release schedule stays the way it is, the number of super rares and chases should drop back sown to accommodate this. The addict people who want as much as possible as fast as possible an the collectors should get some sort of compromise here. Before Age of Ultron, this was not a problem. It is now.

As I pointed out, I dont care about collecting. Shouting at deaf ears. To me it's about playing the game

As a compromise, each grav feed should come with 4 super rares. Six if you're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    As I pointed out, I dont care about collecting. Shouting at deaf ears. To me it's about playing the game
    You're not shouting on deaf ears, it's that your perspective isn't shared by everyone. Some people enjoy collecting and that's perfectly ok. The release schedule may be fine for you and your goals/expectations but maybe not those with limited resources and/or those who want to spend time with a new release to explore it's possibilities.

Like I said, grav feeds should come with more super rares. At least four of them. More bang for your buck. Specifically you the collectors. Maybe a re-vamp for avengers vs xmen. Saves money for you guys