Thread: Marvel legendary any good.

Marvel legendary any good.

Never played a deck building game before. Saw this game on table top and looked really fun. Anybody have any experience with the game. I have a two younger kids and was wondering how difficult it is etc. just looking for some input before I go out and pick it up.

Well in a small example, you have the rules in your mind to explain, it is not that hard, i learned it from tabletop and watchitplayed(great resource for playthroughs).

If they like the thematic and the mechanic that you build your own deck over some time to do some combos. Yeah it is a great game and a good time filler!

Sure i prefer Predator(when out) and Alien more but it has not so much rules in it to get crushed by it.

I have played several times and enjoy the game. In my initial experience, I found it a little difficult as I had not played a deck building game before. That said, having gone back to play it after becoming somewhat proficient with Dice Masters it was much easier to pick up.

In relation to kids, I think they can benefit from the economics of the game. Deciding what to purchase based on effect or artwork, being able to actual pay the recruitment value, learning or comprehending an objective. The actual interaction between cards could be too much for them, depending on age.

PS: The Guardians of the Galaxy expansion is well worth it.

I recently bought in to Marvel Legendary and I love it.

Got all of the Heroic expansions up to and including the latest one.

The core set is a little easy after a few plays (though the rule book includes ways to increase the difficulty), but each expansion has ratcheted up the difficulty level.

I'm still unsure about the game. I've never had a close game. Either the players win by a landslide or the game crushes is into dust and we cry. I've played roughly 10 times and I think it's like 50/50 for win or loss.

Legendary is a cooperative, deck building game. It's a tough one. You really need to think, and to communicate on what to do, and when to do, in order to win. I like the game, but not love it, it takes a while to play, and the setup takes forever. As a deck building game it's good, but still behind Thunderstone Advanced. As a cooperative it's very good, because as true cooperative it has a well done difficulty level, it's doable, but requires a lot a work, it's not as mind breaking hard as Atlantis Rising, more on a level of Ghost Stories. I still prefer semi cooperative games like BSG, or Dead of Winter, as those have traitors.
    As a cooperative deck building game this one is very good. I prefer Legendary over Pathfinder adventure game, and enjoy it on the same level as Shadowrun.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatWar View Post
    I'm still unsure about the game. I've never had a close game. Either the players win by a landslide or the game crushes is into dust and we cry. I've played roughly 10 times and I think it's like 50/50 for win or loss.
    Have you played with any of the expansions, or just the base game, @TheGreatWar ?

And how do you select which mix of heroes, henchmen, villains, mastermind, and scheme to use?

If you use an entirely random set up then you will find, often, that it is either crushingly difficult or walk in the park easy.

However I have played it a lot since getting it and had plenty of nail biting edge of the seat games where we all felt loss was only a turn or two away, but our decks kicked in at the right moments and allowed us to chain huge combos and inflict massive damage to the mastermind.

Or, indeed, conversely, games where we thought we were doing well, until out came the perfect storm of villain and mastermind abilities that decimated our hands or decks and sent us reeling.

With time and experience you get to know the mastermind/scheme combinations that are either impossibly difficult or ridiculously easy, and the hero sets that either synergies well or not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    However I have played it a lot since getting it and had plenty of nail biting edge of the seat games where we all felt loss was only a turn or two away, but our decks kicked in at the right moments and allowed us to chain huge combos and inflict massive damage to the mastermind.
    This. It seems like most games we get absolutely rocked. We start to piece things together, and..... we either storm back for the win or the comeback gets thwarted. Most games I've played of this have a very natural climax.

We have most expansions and always play random set up. What are some fun set ups you suggest? Maybe we've gotten unlucky in our randomness.

Oh, man, it's tough to remember specifics - played so many games, LOL!

But, here's one 3-player setup we played recently that was really good:

Madelyne Prior
    Corrupt The Next Generation

Brotherhood
    Limbo
    Manhattan
    Doombots

Bishop
    Black Panther
    Domino
    Hawkeye
    Old Man Logan

Thank you guys for the feedback. I think I might wait for the newest version of it to come out and pick it up. I think that is supposed to be secret wars.

Anybody now about the new version?

The latest expansion is Secret Wars Volume 1 and it already out in the U.S, and Europe.

Secret Wars Volume 2 is due out in a couple of months, and is likely to also be an expansion.

It requires the base game to play, as do all the previous expansions except Villains (which is less an expansion and more a separate but compatible base game (it looks, however, like they may be dropping the separate Villains line and bringing both together under the one Marvel Legendary banner)).

If you do buy in to the game, I recommend you firstly getting the Marvel Legendary (not Villains) base game, and perhaps either one or two of the heroic mini expansions (Guardians Of The Galaxy, Paint The Town Red, or, if you can find it, Fantastic Four) or Dark City.

The base game by itself has a ton of replayability, but has some of the weakest Masterminds, and easiest Schemes, in the game, however even the mini expansions each increase replayability, as well as Scheme difficulty, and Mastermind strength, by a large degree.

I've heard it's good, though I haven't tried it. I think i've concluded that I just don't care for deck builders. Dominion is fine, mostly, though themeless. But the others - Ascension, Star Realms, and so forth - they just don't grab me. I don't enjoy the experience.

What sets Legendary apart from others?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    What sets Legendary apart from others?
    It's cooperative (or semi-coop, if you want to play it that way (or 1-vs-many competitive now, with Secret Wars' 'playable mastermind' mode)).

I love deckbuilding games, and this one is definitely at the top of my list. It is everything a good deckbuilder does but also adding that co-op mechanic that basically says we either win it together or lose it together really makes it shine. It is a co-op in a good way. I enjoy the IP, and the variety each game can bring.

It's alright. I've played better deck builders.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    It's alright. I've played better deck builders.
    Or you've played deck builders that you prefer.

I'm a fan of Marvel Legendary. I play it solo and find it to be challenging and a lot of fun.