Thread: The Tournament-Dilemma

The Tournament-Dilemma

Hey i have question, maybe it is just to justify myself for the Little Cup Tournament, or maybe even a decision for my gamerlife at all.

I am a Rule-Nerd, i love reading sites and books of rules!

Also i am strictly against using rules wrong on purpose.

So here i am, i will do this tournament on saturday, i will play in it and not be a judge. Also i know that i will be the only one that knows the newest rulings and almost all rulings on the WKRF.

So when i play there against the people, should i explain them some rules, or at least ask them at the beginning of the game if they have question about my cards? I think already know the answer, but in my logic of Knighthood, you should never use great power to your benefits..... . Like Batman always teached me in his comics or cartoons!

someone throw me in the pit ~_~ of doubt.

Discuss your team with the TO before the tourney if there is any grey area or new rules issues with your team.

Then you will know how they would rule on it when the situations come around.

As for helping others, I find being stern, but explanatory about a rule, knowing the reference, and if there is a question, calling over the TO, usually sets a minimum for due dillegence. On the other hand, if I see my opponent about to walk into a play blunder, because of a little known rule, I politely inform them of the rule when I see the interaction. This may be at the beginning of a match, as the situation evolves into something complicated or the moment they try to spend the energy or attack. I would rather win against opponents that played to the best of their ability than blindside them with a rules issue and put them on tilt.

Remember, the best part of this game is the friendly community, be a part of that and embrace it, dont fight to distance yourself from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Discuss your team with the TO before the tourney if there is any grey area or new rules issues with your team.

Then you will know how they would rule on it when the situations come around.

As for helping others, I find being stern, but explanatory about a rule, knowing the reference, and if there is a question, calling over the TO, usually sets a minimum for due dillegence. On the other hand, if I see my opponent about to walk into a play blunder, because of a little known rule, I politely inform them of the rule when I see the interaction. This may be at the beginning of a match, as the situation evolves into something complicated or the moment they try to spend the energy or attack. I would rather win against opponents that played to the best of their ability than blindside them with a rules issue and put them on tilt.

Remember, the best part of this game is the friendly community, be a part of that and embrace it, dont fight to distance yourself from it.
    Thanks Shadow, yeah i know, but the issue here is,
    1. I am the TO ^^ .
    2. The Rules i would inform them are old and from UXM Times.
    3. If tell them directly the things i would reveal my strategy directly.

And your 100% right, it wouldnt be so much fun or competitive as when i know they know what i know.
    Sure i cannot expect them to inform me about there teams, thats why i like to take at the beginning of a game take 1 Minute Look at their Cards and take guesses or using my data i collected so far for this game.

So here it is, losing a game maybe honestly because i explain the full understanding of the rules i would use or do nothing and wait until they do something not so clever and then reveal my evil plan and be the evil knowing-all-rules-guy.

I hope i will get somehow a way between these two extremes.

Ask them before the match if they have any questions about your team, and frankly, have confidence in your own play skill.

Feel free to tell them your team strategy. Don't tell them your buy order, don't tell them what to buy to counter you, or why you brought certain cards, but by all means say "I love how cyclops and human torch work together" or what have you.

You already say you know more than them, play without the handicap and play your opponents on even terms. Your experience and familiarity with the cards is different than ignorance of the rules. One is a credit to the player, the other is an avoidable handicap you can help your local scene overcome. Smarter players make your teams stronger by challenging them.
    And remember, losing is part of a game with such random variables, a good learning experience, and helps others avoid seeing you as the "rules overlord".

Thanks thats a good advice. Yeah i will try to ask them about it.

In dice masters i have confidence that the dice hate me and do what they want to me. 8-)