Thread: Article: The Transition Zone: Using the WizKids Events System

Article: The Transition Zone: Using the WizKids Events System

How many of you have picked a store, registered (or not) and showed up based on a WES event listing? Did you call the store first?

In my location there are not as many events as I'd like, so I am looking to drive to MI or OH. Just wondering what others experiences has been.

In Toledo if you show up you get to play. At least that's been my experience. Whether you registered ahead or not.

I called first on the way to my first local event. Mostly just wanted to confirm since its a good 30 minute drive. Signing up on the site helps ensure your spot as well, in case there are too many folks that show. I know my stores often only have a feed or two of any particular product, and if 15 folks showed there might not be enough packs to actually draft. 15*12 is 180 packs, if even one pack from a feed is sold, someone sits out.

Signing up also lets others see that it is worth the drive potentially because people are interested

Great article! Only once have we had on of our local stores cap attendance based on WES signups. Checkmate (mentioned above) got their hands on a couple of AvX GFs and a Phoenix Force OP kit earlier this month. They were going to have enough AvX packs for rainbow drafting and prizes for 6, so they capped registration, announced it well ahead of time that they would be doing so and we all had to wait on our email notifications. Worth mentioning that when you designate a FLGS as a "favorite" in WES, they send you email notifications when they set up new events. I was camping with my sons' Boy Scout troop with limited cell coverage the moment this event went live. Thankfully @IsaacBV texted me and I could drive to a location with better coverage to sign up in time. (3 guesses as to who won that event - the first 2 don't count - I enjoyed second place).

Yeah, I encourage players to sign up on the WES, it makes less work for the Judge signing everyone up at the event, and like @IsaacBV said, other people looking at events see that there are already others going. I have judged whether to make the drive to other shops before based on pre-registration.

After running my first event on the WES System I have some questions:

1) If a participant does not have a WES account, how do you deal with this person in the system? Create a guest account? Make them create one?
    2) What if a participant does not wish to give out there email address?
    3) Is is possible for someone to change their WES username?
    4) Is is possible to delete an event? (I tried to cancel one, but it did not get removed. Although the website did state it was a cancelled event.)
    5) SoS = Strength of Schedule? How is this calculated? What is the practical use of this?
    6) Is there documented support for determining fellowship?

Overall I had a very positive experience. It was straightforward to reseat participants as we used our own pairings, although I could see us relying on the system as we become more familiar with it. I highly suggest if you are not working with the system now, give it a try! Two participants attending, who had previous negative experiences with the site from their "Clix days", were impressed with site in its current form and the ease of use.

Quote Originally Posted by fun4willis View Post
    After running my first event on the WES System I have some questions:

1) If a participant does not have a WES account, how do you deal with this person in the system? Create a guest account? Make them create one?
    2) What if a participant does not wish to give out there email address?
    3) Is is possible for someone to change their WES username?
    4) Is is possible to delete an event? (I tried to cancel one, but it did not get removed. Although the website did state it was a cancelled event.)
    5) SoS = Strength of Schedule? How is this calculated? What is the practical use of this?
    6) Is there documented support for determining fellowship?

Overall I had a very positive experience. It was straightforward to reseat participants as we used our own pairings, although I could see us relying on the system as we become more familiar with it. I highly suggest if you are not working with the system now, give it a try! Two participants attending, who had previous negative experiences with the site from their "Clix days", were impressed with site in its current form and the ease of use.
    1) I'd just do a guest account for that night. Have them make one later if they want to for future use.

2-4) I don't know :-P

5) Yes - helps break ties. Example: 8 person draft, you have 3 different people who go 2-1. SOS helps see who came in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

6) Up to you. Some stores do second place, some have players vote, some have "most creative team", some give it to the judge.

Does anyone know the difference, when setting up an event, between Standard and Dice Masters scoring method?