Thread: Big Entrance - New WoL Basic Action

Big Entrance - New WoL Basic Action

When purchased, you may add this die to your dice bag. When used, dice purchased this turn cost one less than their printed cost and go directly to dice bag instead of used pile. (may be missing words)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CropperCapture[99].jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	2774

This sounds like a great new ramp mechanic!

Source:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOurhuSfCog

Thanks to @Jonasty for the original video post http://www.thereservepool.com/conten...age=5#comments

My gut says there has to be some catch. That's really powerful for a 3 cost BAC. Especially when there are reducers out there like Red Dragon that could turn it into a 1 cost.

EDIT: Watched the video and was able to pull the full text.

When purchased you may add this die to your dice bag. When used, dice purchased this turn cost 1 less than their printed cost (minimum 1) and may be put directly into your dice bag instead of your Used Pile (No matter how many Big Entrance dice are used).
    So, no catch. Does what it says. Crazy.

This card was also in a Spoiler article by Dave that I just ran across.

http://www.thereservepool.com/conten...ht-Spoilers-DC

This card is going to be monstrous with Nick Fury and Black Widow...

Turn one, use a dragon global to purchase it for 2, use a prep global, and PXG. This gives you the die and 6-7 sidekicks turn 2 depending on which dragon you used. Big Entrance turns Tsarina and Nick Fury into 1-cost characters, allowing you to buy 3+ Tsarinas and 1+ Nick Fury's with very reasonable luck (if you're really lucky, you can get all 4 Tsariana's, Nick Fury, and prep a die with the prep global, though it's probably better to PXG). They all go to your bag and come out to play on turn 3... That's going to be a very difficult push to recover from since you're going to be taking 5+ damage from each Tsarina, possibly allowing a turn 3 kill...

This is going to be a very difficult die to play around...

New plan, Instead of Black Widow, go with the starter Guy Gardner. He's abolutely ridiculous early and if you can get multiples of him out, you can be swinging with 4 6+'s... This action die alone has just ushered in a new age for rush down strategies...

Part of me wonders if there will be a cost errata to 4 or 5 energy on Big Entrance.

The meta altering implications of this is bananas. Unless there is something else in WoL that we've not seen yet.

Can't wait for the full set spoiler to hit. I've just looked at every card in every set that was keyed to be anti-action, and all of them are too slow to stop Big Entrance unless you're running Big Entrance as well. At which point, you might as well just rush too, otherwise you'll risk being on the back foot the entire game.

Long... live... aggro?

This guy after you use Big Entrance and put that purchased character in to your bag.

I like the idea of Big Entrance with the uncommon maria hill as well. Get her in your bag while all those other shields are in your prep area.

@Randy

That's an interesting combo, but it requires you spend 4 dice to pull off. If you do manage to draw the right characters, chances are you're not going to be able to field it unless it's a real weenie (or PXG is polluting the game).

You may be right Necro, but how about big entrance and outsider? Followed by say rare Zemo?

That's so... evil... I love it!

It may take some time to get rolling, but it works great on big villains with high fielding costs like Doctor Doom, Ultron, or Juggernaut. Honestly, I'd love to see a Zemo/Beholder combo get going.

so i like this card and all, but to play devil's advocate, using PXG, i usually roll characters i buy the following turn anyways...as for the reduced cost it warrants, is it worth the extra die diluting your bag especially with a deck that has been focused on one or two characters because lets face it, the more characters you buy the less chance you have of rolling the one you need...with that said, this card will work great in decks that require many different characters. Ex. SR Gladiator: (relevant text) While active, Gladiator gets +2A and +2D for each of your other active {mask} characters. with this card he benefits from more ACTIVE mask characters. so you need to constantly buy different characters. all in all its not a bad card but not sure if it warrants taking up a basic action slot with it. I think id still rather run Resurrection for ramp as a basic action.

Quote Originally Posted by Camalott View Post
    Part of me wonders if there will be a cost errata to 4 or 5 energy on Big Entrance.

The meta altering implications of this is bananas. Unless there is something else in WoL that we've not seen yet.

Can't wait for the full set spoiler to hit. I've just looked at every card in every set that was keyed to be anti-action, and all of them are too slow to stop Big Entrance unless you're running Big Entrance as well. At which point, you might as well just rush too, otherwise you'll risk being on the back foot the entire game.

Long... live... aggro?
    Has WK used errata to change any energy costs in the past? They seem pretty big on standing behind cards once released, no matter how unbalancing they may seem...

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiX View Post
    Has WK used errata to change any energy costs in the past? They seem pretty big on standing behind cards once released, no matter how unbalancing they may seem...
    Not that I can remember. The closest thing I can think of if changing the energy type on the rare star lord from shield to fist, but that was a correction of a printing/proofing error rather than an actual errata.

Also, that the ability to add the die back to your bag is optional. That's incredibly powerful as it makes early buys insane, but it also allows you to use cards that add dice from your used into your reserve or prep even more effectively.

However, it will almost certainly contribute incredibly heavily to the biggest problem in the current game, first turn advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Palto1826 View Post
    so i like this card and all, but to play devil's advocate, using PXG, i usually roll characters i buy the following turn anyways...as for the reduced cost it warrants, is it worth the extra die diluting your bag especially with a deck that has been focused on one or two characters because lets face it, the more characters you buy the less chance you have of rolling the one you need...with that said, this card will work great in decks that require many different characters. Ex. SR Gladiator: (relevant text) While active, Gladiator gets +2A and +2D for each of your other active {mask} characters. with this card he benefits from more ACTIVE mask characters. so you need to constantly buy different characters. all in all its not a bad card but not sure if it warrants taking up a basic action slot with it. I think id still rather run Resurrection for ramp as a basic action.
    I would tend to agree that clogging you bag with unnessicary dice would be a problem, if this guy didn't help alleviate that issue by bagging what you buy. On top of that, the fact it gives all characters you buy in a given turn one less cost, more than makes up for the 2 energy you might miss out on if you were to say, instead draw and roll an energy face or mask for PXG.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I would tend to agree that clogging you bag with unnessicary dice would be a problem, if this guy didn't help alleviate that issue by bagging what you buy. On top of that, the fact it gives all characters you buy in a given turn one less cost, more than makes up for the 2 energy you might miss out on if you were to say, instead draw and roll an energy face or mask for PXG.
    yeah i definitely see that...i think i will need some play time with it to really like it...plus i overlooked that after used it does go right in the bag...this will def be better than i originally thought and i will be placing it into my fist aggro deck...now just something to reduce the fielding costs

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Hey Shadowmeld, for some reason i felt like giving an update on my feelings on this card...i have played a couple test games with it...i really wanted to give it a fair shot because i was hoping that maybe we can see some new cards for ramp other than the typical BEWD and PXG...unfortunately, i have come to the same conclusion each time i play. the card/die after turn 2 just gets in my way...its nice that it can allow for some quicker removal if i were to buy a storm or something else along those lines by placing her right in the bag, but the biggest drawback is not being able to refill the bag with characters in your used pile if you buy dice with big entrance with dice in the used pile. Ive tried with pxg and bewd and swarm with decks that i ran without big entrance fairly successful...so i dont want to give up completely on it so i was wondering if you have tried/tested it out and what ideas you had.

I tried it out with the WoL #4 Batman. It works wonders for teams that are looking to trigger action dice every turn. Other than that I haven't played it yet, but I'm willing to bet it's great in draft. he secret I've found is only buy one. Let your opponent buy the other two. Then, you get a dedicated "purchase turn" that you can predict, and play around. Successful use of this action requires counting and predicting a few turns in advance so you can plan to have the right energy when you need it.