Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mera (War of Light)

Mera (War of Light)

Global: Pay (mask). If a character would deal you 5 or more combat damage, it instead deals you 2 combat damage.

A) Does this target an attacking character? (aka Does Doomcaliber Knight negate this?)

B) If so, could the cost be paid before the attack step (kind of like the Casualties global) in the anticipation of the combat damage?

A) This ability does not affect a set number of characters. It instead mitigates damage of a certain nature, functioning exactly like Vibranium Shield.

B) This ability, like all reactive abilities, is paid on a case by case basis. If you are hit in the face by 3 Thanos dice, you'll need to spend 3 's in order to turn it into 6 damage.

What he said. It doesn't target a character and it is reactive to a tigger (ie you pay when you want to use it). In other words, it's really, really good.

It doesn't read as reactive to me, but more like pay in advance.

Pay in advance:
    Pay for it once before any characters deal combat damage and then "If a character would deal you 5 or more combat damage, it instead deals you 2 combat damage."

Reactive:
    "When you take 5 or more combat damage from a character, reduce it to 2"

Just because it's worded in future tense, which means you would need to pay for it before it happens.

Since your characters doing damage counts as "you" doing damage, does your characters taking damage count as "you" taking damage?

I'm sure there was a ruling on something like this not so long ago.

But I can't find it.

Anyway, I believe @crambaza is correct on this one.

Since its combat damage, does it even matter?
    Declare attackers
    Declare blockers
    play actions and globals
    deal damage

Never mind. Op was asking if it "could" be paid in main.

It being "a" character would imply you have to choose a character. I don't see why this couldn't be played in the main.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    My personal opinion is the global must be used twice in that scenario, but that falls apart when you consider an Avenger with an attack value of 4. It would deal 8 damage. Can you use Mera's global for that? I've been wrestling with this and though I have an opinion, I think the answer is far from obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Here's the discussion we had about this card two months ago:

http://www.thereservepool.com/thread...-Mournful-Rage
    Having re-read that thread, I have changed my mind again again.

You cannot reduce damage that has not yet occurred.

Therefore it is reactive.

I now await WizKids' ruling that it is preemptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    My personal opinion is the global must be used twice in that scenario, but that falls apart when you consider an Avenger with an attack value of 4. It would deal 8 damage. Can you use Mera's global for that? I've been wrestling with this and though I have an opinion, I think the answer is far from obvious.
    Yes, that does make it quite interesting when you consider an Avenger with 4 attack vs an Avenger with 5 lol.

I could be totally wrong, but the way I'm interpreting it, is with the "all combat damage resolves simultaneously" clause. Even though the Avenger deals damage twice, I feel it might still just be one instance of damage, in which you would only have to pay for Mera's global once for an unblocked Avenger with Patch assist.

Would it be dealing 8, or assigning 8? If Patch makes it deal damage twice, wouldn't it be 4 damage, and then another 4 damage? Resolving separately, but assigning simultaneously. I think the use of the words 'deal damage' on Patch's card is intended for resolving exactly this kind of thing, just not sure yet...

Blog Entries
    The most literal interpretation would dictate pay once and reduce it all to two. But I think we'll have to wait to see what it's function actually is. Until then, all Patch teams will run Zmagneto!

This is not a prevention or redirect.

Did a character deal you 5+ ?
    Change it to 2.

One source = one mask.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    This is not a prevention or redirect.

Did a character deal you 5+ ?
    Change it to 2.

One source = one mask.
    So the 4A Patch assisted Avenger would not be affected by Mera's Global?

edited to add:
    For reference, Wolverine: The Best There IS says Wolverine does Double damage, which means he double the die stats, whereas Patch specifies that the damage is dealt twice.

Blog Entries
    To stir the pot (maybe), what if I attack with 3 Tsarinas all level 2. Pretendd you can't spin down or block. You take 6 from her ability, but as the damage comes from a single character (albeit multiple dice), could you reduce the forthcoming 6 damage to 2? Are we getting into counting violation territory with that question or not?

To stir the pot (maybe), what if I attack with 3 Tsarinas all level 2. Pretendd you can't spin down or block. You take 6 from her ability, but as the damage comes from a single character (albeit multiple dice), could you reduce the forthcoming 6 damage to 2? Are we getting into counting violation territory with that question or not?
    Pretty sure it's per die as the global ability is not self-referential (as opposed one that is ).

This is not a prevention or redirect. And since those are the only things that can be played after combat damage assignment, it MUST be preemptive.

An unblocked 4A avenger deals 4 damage twice SIMULTANEOUSLY. That is 8 damage from that character die and therefore satisfies requirement, pay 1 .

3 Tsarina's is 3 character DICE, that are only doing 2 damage. This doesn't satisfy requirement, take 6!

Blog Entries
    But, but, but, her global says character, not character die! (I know, I'm making the argument despite not believing that's how it works... But could it work that way?)