Thread: Turn structure clarification-hosing an opponent's global window

Turn structure clarification-hosing an opponent's global window

I'm 99% sure this is correct, but scenario:

My opponent is sitting on a mask or 2 for PXG. At the end of my main phase I pass priority and they elect not to use the global yet, perhaps because I'm sitting on an attacker or 2 he might want to distract. Anyway, I enter the attack phase, and in an act of cruelty, do not declare an attack. Officially, as per the rule book, the turn's over and the attack phase global window closes, and they lose their masks in their clear and draw phase.

Now in a casual game with friends, I'd probably let them PXG anyway. However, in a tournament, if they don't PXG by when I give them the opportunity in the main phase I can hose them by not attacking, right?

Yep.

Some of your terminology is off, like "I enter the attack phase, and in an act of cruelty, do not declare an attack.". You have it the wrong way. If you do not declare attackers, there is no Attack Step. But you are correct that you can end your main phase after your opponent passes to you, forcing them to waste that energy.

Also,I would say don't let them PXG even in casual play. Learn to do it the right way in casual play so when you move into more competitive play you don't have an excuse for not knowing what to do. The "do I attack or bluff" to get the to waste energy is a huge part of strategy in this game.

You have to declare attackers when you say "I'm going to attack"

If you gave them priority in the main phase and they say "Im fine" THEN you end your turn, the masks saved up turn to being useless. If you aren't sure what your opponent is going to do on your turn, just give them priority and see what they plan. Keeps you from guessing too much.
    Last edited by VastSpartan; 08-31-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Just to clarify.

If your opponent used one of those mask to PXG then passed the priority back to you, your opponent will still have an opportunity whether you do something or not. right?

Yes. both players must "pass priority" (without doing something) in succession, for the main to end. Same for when playing stuff during attack step also.

We tried "I pass priority" in a casual game. It quickly degenerated into "passing" several childish things and we went to "Are you doing anything?"

Did it turn to being mere incompetence from your opponent?
    I've had to deal with that on Vassal. People love to cheat and mix up certain global's.

I thinking the phrase "passing priority" is confusing new players a lot because of the rule books use of the word "passing" as meaning doing nothing. "Passing priority" is something the players came up with I believe. "Giving priority" would probably be a less confusing phrase to use.
    The non active player, then the active player have to not do an action in that order. This is an important nuance, and probably the one thing that people dont take advantage of the most in the game. You can get so much info by simply giving priority to the inactive player, or as the inactive player, not doing anything when you know the active player is still going to do more.
    The order also plays an important role with certain globals. For example, if youre the active player and want to use transfer power but they want to do a bunch of globals to buff up their characters, you always have the last say. This means after every time they do something you can pass on your global window, and if they pass it still comes back to you to do a global or end it. Most players will not play this right, and if they do, you will save your energy seeing what they are going to do(if the pass on their global window while saving a shield in this example).

I say passing priority to my opponent for them to activate global's they want to use. When they're finished I get to what I would be doing A) ending my turn or B)attacking.

Thats how most people do it. Sometimes I will give priority right after my roll/reroll step. If they PXG all their energy leaving them without any energy for globals, I know I can use all my energy to do major damage. If they save it to react to what I might do, I can instead buy dice knowing that they can counter me.
    Another strategy is to not make them give you priority in their main step every time. If they have a habit of going straight to the attack step that gives you an advantage since you know what they are going to do. Sometimes you will have to go back and say you want to do something in the main step, but most of the time you can do the globals in the attack step and now you dont have to guess if you should save energy or not.

I save energy regardless. Just looking at their deck I can tell if its going to rush me or its docile.

But you cant tell if their going to use a mask for distraction or pxg until they use it.

Then I let them do either. My deck usually has wasp so if they do either PXG or Distract, they lose 1 life. If I already gave them priority and they PXG'ed once and have possibly a wildcard/mask left its most likely for distracting. If I swing with something big and force them to distract, there really isnt a problem. My character is safe, I sap them of life and I make them waste energy. When it's your turn just make sure of what their intentions are. Its quite easy when you look at their reserve. The inactive player can only do so much on your turn. You also have priority to do EVERYTHING first.

You never know what their intentions are which is why its good to find out.
    Are you saying your going to use all your energy to pump up an attacker just to be distracted? Or when you thought they were going to save for distraction so you spend your energy showing what youre going to do so they don't have to worry about using distraction, or maybe they were never going to use distraction in the first place. So you may have missed an opportunity to win or do a significant amount of damage. This is just one example, there are many situations where you want to see what they do.
    I really don't see why you would disagree that this gives you an advantage. At the very least it ends it the exact same as doing at the end of your main step every time.I have won several games by doing this instead of waiting until the end of my main step.

Ok first off, my decks are suited for maaany situations. It's not just set on just attack or defense. It's made sure to have full control of the game.
    As for what they will do, you can tell exactly from looking at their globals or knowing what the card effects can do. Iv'e rarely ever been surprised in a game.

I love it when people make grandiose statements about their teams.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Then I let them do either. My deck usually has wasp so if they do either PXG or Distract, they lose 1 life. If I already gave them priority and they PXG'ed once and have possibly a wildcard/mask left its most likely for distracting. If I swing with something big and force them to distract, there really isnt a problem. My character is safe, I sap them of life and I make them waste energy. When it's your turn just make sure of what their intentions are. Its quite easy when you look at their reserve. The inactive player can only do so much on your turn. You also have priority to do EVERYTHING first.
    So in youre example, you think its pointless to pass priority to see if they use all their energy so that you cant swing in with enough energy to kill? If you spend that energy, you cant do it. If they save an energy to distract, you can not attack and buy something you need or do whatever, you didnt lose anything. If they dont save an energy, YOU WIN! Tell me how this isnt an advantage, I would like to know the logic here.

But theres not much you can say to some one who knows everything I guess.
    Since Im one of those that doesnt know everything and cant say for sure what my opponent will do when they have several options, I will continue to give them the opportunity to show me.

Did I ever say passing priority was pointless? Where did I once type that word?
    Getting things mixed up. A good amount of players forget to pass priority to the inactive player. Also you're example is confusing me. Am I the active player or the inactive? If it's active I'll roll and see what they have saved up. Roll to what I need. Once I have it Ill give them priority. See what they do.

If you're playing and people are swinging for lethal, they will save a mask to distract. Why wouldn't they? You play enough people, reading them becomes a second habit.
    Again, as the inactive player, they can only do so much besides globals such as PXG or distract. If you pass it to them and they decide to do nothing, you can guess that it's saved up to distract. You make the 50/50 guess.

To me, if they distract I have no problem. My way of playing isnt swinging in big. Slow and steady for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jasongardner View Post
    Thats how most people do it. Sometimes I will give priority right after my roll/reroll step. If they PXG all their energy leaving them without any energy for globals, I know I can use all my energy to do major damage. If they save it to react to what I might do, I can instead buy dice knowing that they can counter me.
    Another strategy is to not make them give you priority in their main step every time. If they have a habit of going straight to the attack step that gives you an advantage since you know what they are going to do. Sometimes you will have to go back and say you want to do something in the main step, but most of the time you can do the globals in the attack step and now you dont have to guess if you should save energy or not.
    This is too risky for me.

What if they try the double-bluff?

A - I'm going to attack with..., oh wait, I forgot to give you priority in my main phase. I NEED to give you priority in my main phase, what would you like to do?
    B - Oh, nothing, you're fine, attack away!
    A - Ok. I'm going to attack with... no one, turns over. Your turn. Go. Too bad for all those Professor X masks wasted...

Too risky. I ALWAYS back them up if they rush to the attack step.

Quote Originally Posted by crambaza View Post
    This is too risky for me.

What if they try the double-bluff?

A - I'm going to attack with..., oh wait, I forgot to give you priority in my main phase. I NEED to give you priority in my main phase, what would you like to do?
    B - Oh, nothing, you're fine, attack away!
    A - Ok. I'm going to attack with... no one, turns over. Your turn. Go. Too bad for all those Professor X masks wasted...

Too risky. I ALWAYS back them up if they rush to the attack step.
    In that example they are giving you priority. Im talking about when they just declare attacks. Unless theres something that must be done before they attack I dont make them go back and give me priority. Now I dont have to predict what they are going to do and possibly waste energy or not have enough energy in the attack step.
    Doesnt matter as much to those that always know what is going to happen tho.

I force them back to give me priority. Its rude. If it's on accident, or they're a new player its whatever. But when its continuous and you keep having to remind them its gets a tad frustrating.