Thread: Trying to get Ant-Man Global straight

Trying to get Ant-Man Global straight

Scenario 1
    I field Apocalypse Awakened at level 3 and then pay to activate Ant-Man global.
    Does Apocalypse now have an attack value of 7 or 12?

Scenario 2
    I field Apocalypse Awakened at level 3, I play Take-Cover with no bursts (characters get +2D), I pay to activate the Take-cover global and finally pay to activate Ant-Man global, am I attacking with 7, 9, 12, 13, or 15 damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    Scenario 1
    I field Apocalypse Awakened at level 3 and then pay to activate Ant-Man global.
    Does Apocalypse now have an attack value of 7 or 12?
    It's an Applied bonus effect, so it's swappable; +12A

Scenario 2
    I field Apocalypse Awakened at level 3, I play Take-Cover with no bursts (characters get +2D), I pay to activate the Take-cover global and finally pay to activate Ant-Man global, am I attacking with 7, 9, 12, 13, or 15 damage?
    Also an Applied bonus, as well is the global, so +15 here. Also note, you can use that global multiple times before flipping as there's no printed restriction.

Static vs Applied effects

1. Correct for this Turn if you do it in that order of actions it will be a 12/6 Apoc
    2. Sames as first one. 7+2+1+5 = 6/15 * ant man = 15/6

OK, good. I had that one right.

How about this-

I first assign Black Panther to attack while at level 3. I then pay from Ant-Man global.
    Does Black Panther have 2/10 or 4/8?

Here you have to watch out "when" you use the global.

If you use it in the Attack Step after blockers and he attacks alone you would get a 2/10 Panther.
    Because his effect triggers when he attacks alone and after he was delclared as one.+
    If you would first use the Global, then go over to the attack step. He would be 4/8.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    Here you have to watch out "when" you use the global.

If you use it in the Attack Step after blockers and he attacks alone you would get a 2/10 Panther.
    Because his effect triggers when he attacks alone and after he was delclared as one.+
    If you would first use the Global, then go over to the attack step. He would be 4/8.
    Based on the ruling from Wizkids @IgwanaRob referenced above, why would Black Panther be a 2/10?

This is what is confusing me. What makes a stat applied and therefore able to swap and what makes it static and therefore not able to be swapped?

I was guessing Black Panther would have become a 4/8 because the +2A is static.

I'm sorry if I'm being dense or slow. Thanks for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    Based on the ruling from Wizkids @IgwanaRob referenced above, why would Black Panther be a 2/10?

This is what is confusing me. What makes a stat applied and therefore able to swap and what makes it static and therefore not able to be swapped?

I was guessing Black Panther would have become a 4/8 because the +2A is static.

I'm sorry if I'm being dense or slow. Thanks for your patience.
    The trick with Black Panther is in the wording. "When attacking" is a momentary trigger that procs the moment he is declared as the lone attacker. It is not a persistent effect based upon him being the sole attacker as it would be if it was worded "While attacking". As such, if you polymorphed him in exchanged for a lone sidekick, he'd be a 4/2. His ability never procced since he did not declare the attack alone. Ant-Man's global can swap any momentary trigger, but cannot swap persistent effects.

In an example of how this works out differently, Ant-Man - Pym Particles himself is worded in such a way that he gets +2D "While attacking", turning him into a 1/4, 1/5, and 2/7 respectively. Accordingly, his extra defense would not bew swapped since the extra defense is a persistent effect while his is an attacking character and has nothing to do with him being declared an attacker. In just the same manner, if antman was polymorphed in for another character, he'd come in as a 2/3 since his effect is persistent while he's an attacking character.

TL;DR: Black Panther's effect is a momentary trigger and so can be swapped just like Apocalypse's. Characters like Vision or Ant-Man have persistent effects reliant upon a certain state of the game and so cannot be swapped.