Thread: Kuriboh explosive body

Only if it's blocked. A character is only considered in battle or engaged when it either has been, or has declared a block.

When this monster is knocked out in battle, deal damage equal to its defense to an opposing monster.

I assume when its blocked? It says battle. I would assume attack step in some occurrences but I will go with being blocked for the effect to trigger.

Are we sure "in battle" = "engaged" and not just "during the attack step"?

What evidence is there for this?

No clue. I'm guessing here
    Yugioh has a bunch of context different when I play the game. Such as the "ready area" which isn't mentioned in the rule book. Couple of us just decided it was the reserve pool

http://dm.retrobox.eu/?search&set=yg...=attack%20step

http://dm.retrobox.eu/?search&set=ygo&text=battle

I think it means the kuriboh must be knocked out by combat damage... of course that may also be the way the card was intended towork, and instead . ...

http://dm.retrobox.eu/?search&set=yg...0knocked%20out

Edit: I disagree with myself now.
    See below...
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 09-01-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Like SarkhanMad sayd it, it must be kod through Combat damage. It is really hard to bring this out. With Globals to force a blocker on it or enough blockers are there with harley quin or similar. There several ways to do it , but it involves too much card slots, so that it isnt the best combo.

Well since this set uses yugioh terminology (monsters...) I referred to the yugioh rule book.
    There is a "Battle Step", and in this battle step, the active player selects 1 monster to "attack" a target defending monster. Those monsters are then: in "Battle".
    While still in this Battle Step, damage resolves, monsters killed, and then another monster may be chosen to enter into another "Battle" with another defending monster.

So I would say battle=engaged

This should(not) clear things up.

In combat=during attack step? No
    In combat=engaged=in battle? Yes

Does not need to be engaged

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    Well since this set uses yugioh terminology (monsters...) I referred to the yugioh rule book.
    There is a "Battle Step", and in this battle step, the active player selects 1 monster to "attack" a target defending monster. Those monsters are then: in "Battle".
    While still in this Battle Step, damage resolves, monsters killed, and then another monster may be chosen to enter into another "Battle" with another defending monster.

So I would say battle=engaged
    Ah, thanks. Did not have my Yugioh rule book to hand. And I don't think I've ever read it! LOL

Anyway, yeah, that sounds like "in battle" = "engaged".

I shall dig my copy out later and take a look for myself.

(And, yes, I know it's on the WizKids website, but reading PDFs on my phone can be frustrating)

This reminds me of something I was thinking about the other day.
    Is there a card that requires to be knocked out either:
    1. by combat damage
    2. From combat damage
    3. Because of combat damage

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Ah, thanks. Did not have my Yugioh rule book to hand. And I don't think I've ever read it! LOL

Anyway, yeah, that sounds like "in battle" = "engaged".

I shall dig my copy out later and take a look for myself.

(And, yes, I know it's on the WizKids website, but reading PDFs on my phone can be frustrating)

You misunderstood me. I read the actual Yu-Gi-Oh! tcg rule book.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    You misunderstood me. I read the actual Yu-Gi-Oh! tcg rule book.
    Oh. LOL.

Please don't confuse matters like that.

Here are the only mentions of the word "battle" in the (online) YGO Rulebook:

DETAILED COMBAT EXAMPLE
    Kyle has just started his attack step in his game against John. We recommend that you pull out the cards and dice mentioned and follow along to get a better sense of the flow of the game as we walk you through this battle.
    Each player reveals the two Basic Action die data cards they want on the battlefield. It is possible that both players choose the same Basic Action card(s); in that case, there are two sets of those dice available. Assign colors to each of the Basic Action die data cards, place them in the center of the table, and place the three matching dice on each one.
    In Yu-Gi-Oh! Dice Masters, two players take the role of game duelists directing the actions of their force of monsters (represented by dice) to battle each other!
    The first is the only one really applicable, and would seem to indicate that "in battle" means "during the attack step".

@pk2317 I don't think any of those references are relevant or shed any light on the situation. The middle one is referring to the setting of the game as a battlefield and and the other two simply state that you and your opponent are battling. None of them indicate that the attack step has anything to do with "in battle".

In fact, a case could even be made that the final reference indicates that your forces battle each other, meaning that characters are only considered "in battle" when they are fighting other characters i.e. engaged. This is because the "each other" is ambiguous and could refer to the "two players" battling "each other" or "their force of monsters" battling "each other".