Thread: Article: The Prep Area Podcast 09: Masks, Masks & More Masks!

Article: The Prep Area Podcast 09: Masks, Masks & More Masks!

It would seem that the team URL's are missing this week. Any way we could get that sorted?

@Dave I'm really surprised at the short shrift you gave Juggernaut in the "Six Pack"

He's one of the strongest 5-drops in the game and can really assist you in walling up in a set that's lacking many potent villains. He's also incredibly strong alongside Villainous Pact which is a great way to finish off a stalemate. Heck, even running a shield team with Transfer Power's global could be devastating.

If you remember @IsaacBV 's team that he brought to the World's Qualifiers, he used Superman - Trinity war to great effect and Juggernaut - Kuurth is effectively a more reliable and more utilitarian version of him. And since Professor X is a character you want your opponent to bring for you instead of wasting one of your own slots, I think Kuurth was the right choice for that initial set of packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    It would seem that the team URL's are missing this week. Any way we could get that sorted?
    Yup! @Shadowmeld -- get to it!

Also, great job on "Off the Meta" this week. Both Alanna and I really enjoyed it!

Not in draft. There are dead cards in draft anyway, so you need to know that you have it. Juggs is defensive and in general defensive play loses drafts.

Digging the decks that focus on one character! Plus the more Dungeons & Dragons love the better. I am the only person I have seen to play Tarrasque at this point, however. When I first started playing the game (two weeks ago) my first pulls were:

Tarrasque - Lesser Aberration
    Tarrasque - Greater Aberration

followed by the next pack...

Red Dragon - Greater Dragon
    Tarrasque - Epic Aberration

I pulled a second lesser Tarrasque that day too. So four Tarrasque dice plus an Age of Ultron Starter deck. I thought I was set. Then I learned that nobody uses Tarrasque. So @Shadowmeld I was hoping you might cook something up focusing on the Classic Kaiju. I always thought it would be hilarious to use Blue-Eyes Global to sacrifice your own Epic Tarrasque on the opponents turn, whereupon it regenerates to its level three side (a fifteen percent chance of doing so) and wipes their board on their main phase. I always figured this would be the best, but I always have trouble buying Tarrasque in the first place (to not even mention paying its fielding cost).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Not in draft. There are dead cards in draft anyway, so you need to know that you have it. Juggs is defensive and in general defensive play loses drafts.
    I don't think Juggernaut is defensive at all. Again, he is one of the most offensive characters in the game. Take him in the context of Giant-Man's rarer versions since Giant-Man is already acknowledged as fantastic and not because of his defense. For one exta purchasing and fielding costs, you're effectively guaranteed a character with the same offensive stats and more utility in the defense.

As far as PXG goes, taking him gives us literally zero advantage over our opponent. In draft, I want cards that can make me win, not cards that are going to help my opponent just as much as me. PXG is only ever "good" if you can use it better than your opponent and that's just not going to be the case outside of constructed. Also, since we're fairly sure that our opponents are going to bring it because of their own addiction to the global, we're always better served by grabbing a card that contributes solely to our own win condition rather than our opponent's as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Beets View Post
    Digging the decks that focus on one character! Plus the more Dungeons & Dragons love the better. I am the only person I have seen to play Tarrasque at this point, however. When I first started playing the game (two weeks ago) my first pulls were:

Tarrasque - Lesser Aberration
    Tarrasque - Greater Aberration

followed by the next pack...

Red Dragon - Greater Dragon
    Tarrasque - Epic Aberration

I pulled a second lesser Tarrasque that day too. So four Tarrasque dice plus an Age of Ultron Starter deck. I thought I was set. Then I learned that nobody uses Tarrasque. So @Shadowmeld I was hoping you might cook something up focusing on the Classic Kaiju. I always thought it would be hilarious to use Blue-Eyes Global to sacrifice your own Epic Tarrasque on the opponents turn, whereupon it regenerates to its level three side (a fifteen percent chance of doing so) and wipes their board on their main phase. I always figured this would be the best, but I always have trouble buying Tarrasque in the first place (to not even mention paying its fielding cost).
    I'm actually a big fan of common Terrasque. I built a few teams with it.

Oh man, I have stayed up all night to roll Loki.
    The Carebears was so hillarious. It was so spot on. I pretty much lost it at "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Quote Originally Posted by CeeQue View Post
    Oh man, I have stayed up all night to roll Loki.
    The Carebears was so hillarious. It was so spot on. I pretty much lost it at "I have no idea what you're talking about."
    Glad you enjoyed it! @Jthomash2 rules.

Loved the segment on Mystique: Shapeshifter! Really provided the insight I needed in order to use this character effectively.

Does Mystique lose her Villain affiliation if she takes the form of a non-Villain?

According to her text you could say she does. She copies everything on the card except for die faces and Fielding/purchase costs. However, she gets both cards, according to the rules for copying, and the ability to maintain her burst. Thus, I would say that she copies one card, but still counts as the other card as well.

Since a die always knows its affiliation, I'd say she does indeed keep villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankholdup View Post
    @RJRETRO what wrestling game was it? Luchador?
    I play a lot of wrestling simulation dice games.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    Since a die always knows its affiliation, I'd say she does indeed keep villain.
    Yup, no limit (yet) on the amount of affiliations a character/die can have, and I think Wonder Man is the only card that actually allows a character to lose an affiliation.

How great would a BAC or global be that allowed you to remove affiliations from characters? Really great I say!

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Maybe the next villain global could require two energy but toggle the affiliation?