Thread: Smash - overlooked action of the past might well be the star of today!

Smash - overlooked action of the past might well be the star of today!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	2835

So here's an action that we all own sitting at the back of our dice masters binder feeling unloved and unplayed. I think though that may be this card now has a chance to shine!

First let's look at that global - pay fist target blocked character deals no damage. Ok now have a think about Overcrush look at the global, look at Overcrush, for 1 fist this global stops Overcrush in its tracks. Yes yes I know there are counters there are for everything but while your opponent is setting that up you can concentrate on your own win condition.

Now the action it's self KO a level 1 character or **KO a 1 or 2 in itself not great but now have a look at pepper Potts uncommon (when fielded spin down two opponent characters down by one level) or any of the other multitude of ways of spinning opponents characters down and Smash becomes a good spot removal tool.

In short give Smash some attention and it may reward you.

Deadpool - Jack

Iv'e thought of using that against a Hulk Green Goliath or Jade Giant
    Distraction was a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Iv'e thought of using that against a Hulk Green Goliath or Jade Giant
    Distraction was a better option.
    And that's the crux of it. In 80% of circumstances, Distraction works better and no one is actually going to buy Smash because of its very difficult to proc nature. A double burst just isn't reliable and no one wants to be faced with the only possibility being to KO a sidekick.

The best utility it has is allowing you to KO your opponent's big attacking characters with a bunch of weenies without losing anybody in order to create an opening in his defenses. It's a niche circumstance, but it's a valid one and that's when Smash becomes a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    The best utility it has is allowing you to KO your opponent's big attacking characters with a bunch of weenies without losing anybody in order to create an opening in his defenses. It's a niche circumstance, but it's a valid one and that's when Smash becomes a good option.
    I'd argue that distraction whilst being good is far more of a two edged sword than smash, it's all about win condition. Smash effectively negates Overcrush (with exceptions due to counters, EVERYTHING has a counter) where as distraction works against Overcrush, unblockable etc, my point here being you still need a win condition and why bring your opponent the tools to defeat you. Actions don't exist in a vacuum neither do characters it's all part of a team and all I am trying to do with this post is highlight that there are options people may not have considered.

Yeah but we will always bring up something that is usually just better. Use smash if you want. A good amount of people will just stick with distraction.
    It allows us to push away and pull back characters.
    Last edited by VastSpartan; 09-03-2015 at 05:31 AM.

Better in your opinion which doesn't make it actually better. Nothing exists in a bubble it all depends on the other parts of the team. I find distraction too abusable by opponents but that's my opinion I am entitled to it as you are to yours.

Lot of the time when people bring distraction for their team.......they aren't usually going to be swinging for lethal. Why bring something that will be used against you?
    Also, calm down man. There's always something better. As for my opinion, distraction, while looking at the most recent BAC's is one of the better one's for negating damage. Actually, I dont think there's any other BAC that negates damage like distraction. It literally negates any sort of combat damage.

Also this confuses me
    "Smash effectively negates Overcrush (with exceptions due to counters, EVERYTHING has a counter) where as distraction works against Overcrush, unblockable etc, my point here being you still need a win condition and why bring your opponent the tools to defeat you."

Your reasoning is confusing me. Are you using overcrush? Or are they? Smash negates damage to the attacker. The blocking character doesn't deal any damage to the attacker.

Another point, what does this BAC have to do with win condition? I'm assuming that you're using overcrush, attack with a character and they block. You pay the fist, negate the damage to your attacker and knock out their character causing overcrush damage.
    Last edited by VastSpartan; 09-03-2015 at 05:39 AM.

Also this confuses me
    "Smash effectively negates Overcrush (with exceptions due to counters, EVERYTHING has a counter) where as distraction works against Overcrush, unblockable etc, my point here being you still need a win condition and why bring your opponent the tools to defeat you."

Your reasoning is confusing me. Are you using overcrush? Or are they? Smash negates damage to the attacker. The blocking character doesnt deal any damage to the attacker.
    You are using it to stop Overcrush being used against you. The global causes an attacker to cause no damage if it is blocked. It doesn't negate blocker damaging attacker.

It is hard to judge tone of posts as opposed to talking I'm not annoyed a little exasperated maybe, as I said I'm just trying to put options out there.

Dude, you got things mixed up.
    Can you read the card again.

"Global: Pay . Target blocked character deals no damage." The attacker doesn't get hurt in the process.

Hence why Necromanticer agreed on me with this part dude.

I think you're confused on negating overcrush damage being used on you. That's why distraction is more viable. It just pushes the thing away. Or you use this ol gal

Nope didn't mix anything up, you may have though and you highlighted the word for me! Target Blocked Character Not target blocking character.

I think where the confusion seems to lie is in the word Blocked.

Example

Wolverine formally weapon 10 assigns to attack alone with anger issues on his level 3 side (this detail doesn't matter but helps illustrating the point) in defence one side kick is assigned to block. Wolverine is the attacker but he is also Blocked. The sidekick is the defender but also the blocker. Now without any further interference wolverine swings for 1 against the sidekick (KO ing him) and 14 to the player, Wolverine also takes 1 damage from the sidekick.

Now when you use the Smash global (it also exists on a couple of other actions) it causes the target Blocked character to cause no damage, thus wolverine (the blocked character) doesn't knock out the sidekick (the blocking character) or get to put a hurt on the player but wolverine still takes one damage for the sidekick damaging him.

Wolverine does 18 damage. Level 3 hitting for 8 plus blocked turns to 16. Plus 3 from anger issues is 19. Minus 1 from the sidekick.

Dude, you got things mixed up.
    Can you read the card again.

"Global: Pay . Target blocked character deals no damage." The attacker doesn't get hurt in the process.

Hence why Necromanticer agreed on me with this part dude.

I think you're confused on negating overcrush damage being used on you. That's why distraction is more viable. It just pushes the thing away. Or you use this ol gal
    Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

This has literally nothing to do with why I think Smash! isn't particularly good. You've read the card completely wrong.

The blocked character is the attacker, not the blocking character. Smash! completely negates Overcrush since the attacking character is dealing no damage, to you or your characters. This means that if you're using unblockable characters, you can still bring Smash! as a counter to overcrushing characters without worrying about it being used against you like Distraction would. However, overcrush isn't common enough to make the trade-off in utility very worthwhile. Also, since you're already running an unblockable setup, that means you have characters vulnerable on the field for some stretch of time and you should be bringing protection like Human Paladin outright.

In the end, it's only better in a niche strategy as an even more niche counter, that being when: you're using an unblockable team without global protection, have a spare BAC slot, and are particularly worried by your opponent using some sort of overcrush. Outside of that scenario, it still has utility, but it's just not quite going to cut the mustard against the reigning BAC's of choice like Distraction.

Wait, did you confuse my combo with distracting back Hulk or me attacking with Deadpool force blocking Hulk then pulling him back?

What? Level 3 side is A 8 +4 for attacking alone is 12 +3 for anger issues is 15 one is blocked by the sidekick allowing 14 through! (Original maths wrong sorry I'll correct that) but if you use the smash global the BLOCKED character deals NO damage. The BLOCKED character is wolverine. Are we on the same page yet?

I see! But do you get why smash' global negates Overcrush?

I could have actually used Smash last weekend for my Black Widow - Natasha and Spider-Woman - Jessica Drew combo.

:aou01:

I ran into a few characters with level 1 pay 1 to field that screwed it up.

Someone mentioned Smash and Deadpool - Jack because I was worried about Hulk Green Goaliath. Were they calling bull**** with this combo or mistaken?

Someone mentioned Smash and Deadpool - Jack because I was worried about Hulk Green Goaliath. Were they calling bull**** with this combo or mistaken?
    Could you clarify what you are asking?

Awhile ago while creating my first official deck I was thinking on how to kill a Hulk without activating his effects. I didnt want to use millennium Puzzle so I went with Deadpool jack. I wasnt' too sure on what BAC to use. Someone mentioned distraction and Smash. The combo was to attack with Deadpool, force block Hulk and pay a fist to nullify Jacks damage. I thought at the time was to pay the fist for Deadpool to not hit hulk but proc the block and kill effect.

That would stop Hulk triggering, and Hulk would be KO'd by Deadpool's ability.

But Deadpool would likely be KO'd (depending on the respective levels of the two characters), unless you also used the Distraction global.