Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Article: D&D Set II - Faerun Under Siege

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Upping the price of the Starter again?

    Grr.....

  3. #3

  4. #4
    D&D was five dollars above base price last time too (allegedly due to increased licensing costs with Wizards). This just continues the trend now that all other starters are at $19.99.

  5. #5
    I know, but after D&D they all went up to $19.99. I don't want to see that happen again.

  6. #6
    I think at $24.99 you are going to see some drop off in sales (at least of the starters). That's a lot of money, especially for those who remember the good old days when $14.99 (or less via online retailers) got you started in the game.

  7. #7
    Well played Wizkids, well played.... I may be buying this set.

  8. #8
    Yes! Collectors box!

    Also February = March or April.

  9. #9
    It seems like the increase in starter price might warrant more shelf presence and better, more reusable packaging. For that price, I wish that they merged the starter and collector's products. They are slowly eroding their "budget collectible game" image. With the continuing increases in cash required to keep up, I'm finding myself having to cut back on what I go after. The net result is me spending LESS money per set, not more.

  10. #10
    Whoa, more D&D! For some reason I'm skeptical of the legs of Dice Masters, but here we are and it's still truckin'. I never really played much using the D&D set unfortunately. But I'll still probably get it. I just love drafting new sets!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    It seems like the increase in starter price might warrant more shelf presence and better, more reusable packaging. For that price, I wish that they merged the starter and collector's products. They are slowly eroding their "budget collectible game" image. With the continuing increases in cash required to keep up, I'm finding myself having to cut back on what I go after. The net result is me spending LESS money per set, not more.
    Here comes the deluge of people who think that makes you "entitled, whiny and cheap" but fail to see the bigger picture.

    More on topic, I think that's getting to be a big problem. One of the easiest ways to get new players in my area has been to show them how inexpensive it is to buy and play reasonably well. It's only getting tougher. Hyped for new D&D though, really hoping for another Yugioh set still.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Here comes the deluge of people who think that makes you "entitled, whiny and cheap" but fail to see the bigger picture.
    Could be. If so, they've got it wrong. WizKids doesn't owe me anything, and I'm not the kind of person who needs a constant drip of new product to be happy with the game. It's fantastic as-is, and whatever new stuff comes out is just gravy. If they stopped production tomorrow, I'll still happily play the game for years and years to come.

    My statement was meant as a bit of a business warning. I'll elaborate on my pricing thoughts a bit. If WizKids strays away from DM having its "budget friendly" image, they risk alienating those who came to the game for that feature. That's not a particularly deep thought of course. One could argue that raising prices means they'll still make more money anyway, so it doesn't matter much, but that's being a bit short-sighted as to where DM stands in the marketplace. It's still a bit early to tinker with that image.

    Clearly the early success of the game was assisted by the perceived budget friendliness. Maybe it no longer needs that to succeed, but given the reported volume they're selling (with WizKids ordering production of millions of dice at a time), they are doing pretty well making up for smaller margins with volume, and it seems like an unwarranted risk, at least as this juncture, to mess with that and even if it works (increases profits) short-term. That's because it's not established well enough just yet and you're risking the long-term. That is, the game is still new enough, the market is competitive enough, and they've had enough growing pains that they can easily lose the current momentum. You'd think they really should take a long pause when considering something that might alienate subsets of the existing base. They may not realize it, but their grip on them isn't as secure as some think (on average--it certainly varies from player to player).

    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    More on topic, I think that's getting to be a big problem. One of the easiest ways to get new players in my area has been to show them how inexpensive it is to buy and play reasonably well. It's only getting tougher. Hyped for new D&D though, really hoping for another Yugioh set still.
    Yeah, I'm stoked to see what they've come up with! DnD was a home run in my book, so I hope to see a strong follow-up.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    I know, but after D&D they all went up to $19.99. I don't want to see that happen again.
    Come to europe, every starter cost above 20$ ^^

    Cant wait to see what cards the will bring out. D&D was always more interesting than Marvel and DC for me.

  14. #14
    I've only played the first D&D set a bit, and only own about 50 csrds or so, but the mechanics of that set just seem so fun, and the quality of the cards and dice is far superior to all other sets...so I am excited to hear about this new set for sure!

    I'm curious if the increased quality will continue with D&D2. I thought that perhaps it was part of the licensing agreement to create a product to a minimum spec level which was higher than thier existing sets. Time will tell I suppose...

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    D&D was five dollars above base price last time too (allegedly due to increased licensing costs with Wizards). This just continues the trend now that all other starters are at $19.99.
    Adding to this D&D's card stock is also thicker than the standard sets, so we are getting better quality for the price.
    Last edited by vonVile; 09-04-2015 at 01:01 AM.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by vonVile View Post
    Anding to this D&D's card stock is also thicker than the standard sets, so we are getting better quality for the price.
    Assuming they do that again. I really hope they do.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    For that price, I wish that they merged the starter and collector's products.
    This is along the line of what some of the people I play with were talking about - they have the products backwards. The big box should be the 2 player set up, with all the characters, cards, and dice. The small box should just be a single player entry level thing - all the variant starter dice, BAC's, and a bag. Enough so that they can grab a handful of boosters and have plenty for less than the cost of the big box, and cheap enough that the alternate colored dice are enough of a lure that some of the people that buy the big box wouldn't mind picking it up.
    Last edited by IgwanaRob; 09-03-2015 at 12:07 PM.

  18. #18

  19. #19
    I wonder if they'll have a Minsc and Boo style promo card in this set. I hope so. And we need more fiends. Otherwise, Pit Fiend is terrible (maybe not so bad if Sangan from YGO counts as a fiend, but still...

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by SethAtreides View Post
    I wonder if they'll have a Minsc and Boo style promo card in this set. I hope so. And we need more fiends. Otherwise, Pit Fiend is terrible (maybe not so bad if Sangan from YGO counts as a fiend, but still...
    I vote it should

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Could be. If so, they've got it wrong. WizKids doesn't owe me anything, and I'm not the kind of person who needs a constant drip of new product to be happy with the game. It's fantastic as-is, and whatever new stuff comes out is just gravy. If they stopped production tomorrow, I'll still happily play the game for years and years to come.

    My statement was meant as a bit of a business warning. I'll elaborate on my pricing thoughts a bit. If WizKids strays away from DM having its "budget friendly" image, they risk alienating those who came to the game for that feature. That's not a particularly deep thought of course. One could argue that raising prices means they'll still make more money anyway, so it doesn't matter much, but that's being a bit short-sighted as to where DM stands in the marketplace. It's still a bit early to tinker with that image.

    Clearly the early success of the game was assisted by the perceived budget friendliness. Maybe it no longer needs that to succeed, but given the reported volume they're selling (with WizKids ordering production of millions of dice at a time), they are doing pretty well making up for smaller margins with volume, and it seems like an unwarranted risk, at least as this juncture, to mess with that and even if it works (increases profits) short-term. That's because it's not established well enough just yet and you're risking the long-term. That is, the game is still new enough, the market is competitive enough, and they've had enough growing pains that they can easily lose the current momentum. You'd think they really should take a long pause when considering something that might alienate subsets of the existing base. They may not realize it, but their grip on them isn't as secure as some think (on average--it certainly varies from player to player).



    Yeah, I'm stoked to see what they've come up with! DnD was a home run in my book, so I hope to see a strong follow-up.
    I couldn't agree more. I'm glad to finally see another person who can see why this may be a problem. It's not worth giving up the game just yet, but they are risking burning out a lot of their core playerbase, which I don't think is large enough to survive much of a blow when other, more popular games are around and devouring any smaller startup games like potato chips.

  22. #22

  23. #23
    Okay I think everyone is missing the mark for cost evaluation. So I think I need to step up and say something.

    (1) Cost.
    the collectors set now comes with the nice upgraded dice bag. So if you ask me yes anyone would pay more for this this actually cuts costs overall.

    (2) quality over quantity.
    Yes the original dice masters sets were cheeper and you could tell. Card and dice quality were terrible. I am more than happy to pay for a better product. (Have you seen the dice in Tom Vasal 's review, beautiful and legible!

    (3) demand.
    Higher demand = more dice. More dice = lower quality. Let's face it. This weeds out those who want to pay for a premium product. And those who don't. Fact of the matter is... it's still cheeper than almost anything else. Go check vs. MTG prices, for there so-so cards
    .
    Less demand = less product needed to fulfill said demand. Meaning over a better experience. If this were a Kickstarter people would be ferious at the level of quality and the over-the-top delays.

    All in all, Suck it up; pay the extra bucks or two and enjoy dice masters at it's best.

    I hope I gave so perspective to fellow dice masters enthusiasts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •