Thread: Ant Man Global

Ant Man Global

I'm sorry if this topic has already been discussed in a previous thread but I'm newer to the forums.

How do you use the Ant Man global, which flips the attack and defense stats of a character dice, with defense and attack bonuses and global sales?

I'm centering a team around this global, Vision - Punisher ( Who gets +4 defense if your opponent has a non-villain dice fielded), Groot - We Are Groot (+3 defense for all your other characters), Odin - Gungnir (who is unblockable by characters with a lower defense, Invulnerability for the pump and Hulk Out for overcrush.

Would this team work the way I hope it would with Ant Man's global? If I use Antman's global and then invulnerability's global would I pump up the new attack or the defense?

Would the defensive bonuses brought by Vision and Groot stay as new attack stats after using Antman's global?

If I use Antman's global after I assign to attack, and no one prior to using the global has a higher defense then Odin, would he still be unblockable if his new defense stats are lower or equal to an opposing character now, or did he already trigger that effect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The 3+ from groom doesn't work that way. It's a continus effect not static.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    The 3+ from groom doesn't work that way. It's a continus effect not static.
    What if it's from the bride? 😉

Vast is correct that Groot won't help here, as he will still give +3 defense after the stat flip, but the thought is good.

Any defense boost that is not a continuous effect would indeed become a boosted attack stat with Ant-Man's global. Boosting Odin's defense to make him unblockable and then using the global after the declare blockers step should work for lots of free damage.

As for adding boosts after the stat flip- they still get applied like they would without it. So yes, if you used an attack boost like Invulnerability after the Ant-Man global it boosts the new attack number. So if you have a defense boost global, use it prior to the stat flip. If it's an attack boost, use it after.

Here is a WizKids ruling on the matter:

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=2118

Note: WizKids use "Static" to mean what VastSpartan and Mordred referred to as "continus"/"continuous", and "Applied" to mean what VastSpartan referred to as "static".

I would recommend using the WizKids terminology to avoid confusion.

I'm on my phone dude
    And at work. I only have so much freedom at the moment. But I will look at the proper wording.

Uh oh. I've been using this combo for this purpose to buff my Black Widow Cold Warriior, and send her through unblocked. But Groot seems to fit the same standards for "static" as the Captain America in this ruling. Don't tell my group!

So static is meant for a 'continuous effect' while the thought was meant to be applied and one time use.

It seems that it is the "while active" wording on Captain America that makes it a static affect. Same for Groot, I suppose. Though I think this ruling makes it is a little confusing as to which buffs can and can't be transferred with the Ant-Man global. It creates a bad situation where anytime that global is used and a buff is involved, you have to question the buffing cards wording and make a determination. Wiz Kids is their own worst enemy sometimes when they make some of these rulings and chooses not to improve their wording on future cards. They seem to have an aversion to clarity and consistency when it comes to their terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by CapoBro View Post
    It seems that it is the "while active" wording on Captain America that makes it a static affect. Same for Groot, I suppose. Though I think this ruling makes it is a little confusing as to which buffs can and can't be transferred with the Ant-Man global. It creates a bad situation where anytime that global is used and a buff is involved, you have to question the buffing cards wording and make a determination. Wiz Kids is their own worst enemy sometimes when they make some of these rulings and chooses not to improve their wording on future cards. They seem to have an aversion to clarity and consistency when it comes to their terminology.
    It's not too bad with this one - anything that relies on an outside condition to be met and retained cannot be flipped as it's a Static effect (While Active, While Attacking). Anything that lasts until until the end of the turn is flippable as it's an Applied effect (Pay 1 to get +1D, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by IgwanaRob View Post
    It's not too bad with this one - anything that relies on an outside condition to be met and retained cannot be flipped as it's a Static effect (While Active, While Attacking). Anything that lasts until until the end of the turn is flippable as it's an Applied effect (Pay 1 to get +1D, etc)
    When you state it that way, it causes me to look at that mechanic very differently. I think several cards I had previously considered as combos with the Ant-Man global will no longer apply. Groot is still a great card. He can help any build stand up better against straight Overcrush teams.

Then mention the cards you think that wont apply with Antman.

A good card that will work for you is Odin - Gungnir

Quote Originally Posted by CapoBro View Post
    When you state it that way, it causes me to look at that mechanic very differently. I think several cards I had previously considered as combos with the Ant-Man global will no longer apply. Groot is still a great card. He can help any build stand up better against straight Overcrush teams.
    It also doesn't lessen Ant-Man's usefulness either, just makes you think a little more about how to get things done

Well an easy example is the Uncommon Ant-Man himself who gets +2D while attacking. That would also be "static" as defined. Really any character that gives or receives a +D bonus for "While Active, When attacking, While opponent has active..." effects would not be able to transfer that +D using the Ant-Man global.

Yes, I like the Gungnir and would Probably use the 5 cost Thor with him. That combo could be a game finisher.