Thread: Iron Man: Philanthropist timing

Iron Man: Philanthropist timing

Each time Iron Man takes damage, you gain 1 life.
    * Gain 2 life instead.

Another timing question. My opponent attacks with 2 characters. Iron Man defends against one, the other damages me, and would bring me to exactly 0 life. Does Iron Man's ability proc and leave me at 1 life or 2 on a * ?

You would gain 1 to 2 life. All damage is simultaneous. So you're still in the game.

Good to know we played it right. Between my Iron Man and her Captain Marvel gaining life, that game lasted 1 and 1/2 hours. I won in the end. Good thing my wife loves me. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
    Each time Iron Man takes damage, you gain 1 life.
    * Gain 2 life instead.

Another timing question. My opponent attacks with 2 characters. Iron Man defends against one, the other damages me, and would bring me to exactly 0 life. Does Iron Man's ability proc and leave me at 1 life or 2 on a * ?
    In this scenario, you lose.

All combat damage is dealt simultaneously. As such, your life is reduced to 0 and Iron Man takes his damage. This causes you to lose the game and Iron Man now triggers. Since you have already lost the game, Iron Man does not resolve and his effect never occurs. This is because of the timing difference between a trigger and a resolution.

In this case, the same instance of damage that cause you to die, also triggered Iron Man. However, the damage must resolve on both you and Iron Man before his ability triggers. Accordingly, the combat damage resolves completely, leaving you with 0 life and losing you the game with Iron Man triggered, but not resolved.

Sorry you played this out wrong, but take it as a learning experience and it will help you in the future

Necromanticer is correct.

One effect must resolve fully before the next can.

And you lose as soon as your life hits zero.

Sadly, you are not the Hulk.

If there is any doubt...just refer to the back page of any rulebook where it has the turn sequence laid out.

It says..."Assign and resolve damage. Resolve effects that occur due to damage or KO".

So the resolution of all combat damage happens BEFORE any effects which are triggered by damage.

Even ignoring things like timing and resolution, WK has been pretty clear that, as Scott mentioned, the moment a player's life hits 0 then that's game over.

I actually had something very similar occur in Nationals and we had to get a judge rule on it, except it was Nova blocking.

I was at 1 life, my opponent was at 4. I attack with 3 characters, 2 get through to do lethal and he blocks with Nova. The ruling was, damage happens, THEN Nova (or Iron Man in your case) would trigger in response to that damage but AFTER it has occurred (it has to have happened in order to trigger the effect).

So in my case, my opponent's life dropped below 0, the game ended. Nova did not trigger before his life was 0.

In your case, the damage has occurred dropping your life to 0, the game ended. Iron Man did not trigger before your life was at 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Devolution View Post
    *This prevents possible issues of 2 people ending the game with 0 life.
    Not any more it doesn't.

Games can now end in a draw if both players' life hit zero from the same effect.

Fireball from D&D is an example of how that may happen.