Thread: Villain Burn.0

Villain Burn.0

Now I'm sure everyone's sick to death of the standard Black Manta villain burn. However, I think I have an interesting and new take on it that has a higher/safer damage potential without sacrificing the walling aspect.

Ultron NON-STARTER

Ultron Drone RARE

The idea is simple enough: we want to knock out our own Ultron Drones to act as momentary removal and trigger the burn of Ultron and Black Manta. Why did I choose to go back to the old standby of Black Manta or the new Jocasta hotness? Three reasons:

Energy Efficiency - For 1 , we're removing an opposing character temporarily and likely dealing 6+ damage (Ultron Capture = 3 | Black Manta + Ultron + Ultron Drone = 3). Jocasta takes 2 s to deal half. Also, since we're splitting the damage between two character abilities, we don't need to worry about Human Paladin's global as much since it now takes twice as much energy to reduce the damage to twice the normal level.

Less Counters - Since we're getting a capture out of Ultron Drone's sacrifice, we're able to deftly avoid the new Captain America counters such as First Avenger or Super Soldier since we capture them before we deal our damage. Other villain burn setups need to worry about using more permanent removal like Solomon Grundy on those characters, but we can avoiding blowing our big ticket removal on less valuable targets.

Safer Play - As I mentioned before, we can easily hit for 6+ damage for a single energy and we don't have to do so on our own turn. Because Ultron can proc on either player's turn, we're able to hold off until we see what our opponent is doing before committing our energy and characters. Also, this allows us to knock out our Ultron Drone on our opponent's turn to then refield and re-KO the Ultron Drone again on our own for a staggering amount of burst damage.

As far as the other quirks, Kobolds are fantastic for the heavy investments we're going to be making. Without them, we'd have a very hard time building up to a 6-cost purchase and so they fit just right. Sinestro is also a unique idea, but I'm always deathly afraid of the Phoenix/Mr. Fantastic globals, so I wanted something to keep my core in tact. I couldn't go with Human Paladin since it's too easy for my opponent to hog shields and majorly bog me down, but going with Sinestro means I get almost the same levels of protection without having to worry about interrupting globals. Also, having an extra bulky villain on board never hurts. Finally, Crush Card Virus is there to allow me a way of acquiring knockouts even when I'm not rolling the right energy. It's a bit of a big purchase, but it's well worthwhile when you just can't get your sidekicks to roll properly.

If you have any ideas on how to modify or improve this team, I'd love to hear it. I think it gives an old strategy a bit of a buff and can make it more competitive than it's been in the past. I always like finding new ways to use and abuse overlooked characters and I've never heard of anyone legitimately using the rare Ultron Drone before and this is what came of that.

Thanks for reading along, everybody!

As much as I like the innovation with Sinestro, he doesn't protect your 1 or 2 cost characters, or you SKs. This gives you opponent a significant amount of wiggle room and collapse the delicate lattice that is Kobold ramp.

Perhaps a distraction instead of one of your other BACs. You don't need to attack on this team.

Wish there were some cheap villains to help you out here, guess you will have to wait for WoL.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    As much as I like the innovation with Sinestro, he doesn't protect your 1 or 2 cost characters, or you SKs. This gives you opponent a significant amount of wiggle room and collapse the delicate lattice that is Kobold ramp.

Perhaps a distraction instead of one of your other BACs. You don't need to attack on this team.

Wish there were some cheap villains to help you out here, guess you will have to wait for WoL.
    Lyssa Drak is coming and with her, Distraction becomes even better due to the cheaper energy.

Also, I like the segment you guys aired earlier. a little work on the "uhms" and you'll have it down!