Thread: Article: The Transition Zone: Netdecking

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JorduSpeaks View Post
    Another advantage to netdecking is that by playing a list that has been consistently trouncing you, you can better understand its weaknesses.
    Excellent point.

We did this, with one each other, taking out our strongest Teams, every with a really good win condition and proof of success.
    Then swapping the Teams, so we can understand it better and maybe try i out ourselves, the so called archetypes.
    It could be so far that you will have a "TopMeta-Deck" where the most needed cards for % of win are inside.

Note: ( I dont like Top Cards, and Netdecking either, but it is fun to try out new things every time, so will just go with it).

Great article sir! Awesome points. I know I find myself looking through those decks just like you said to gain perspective on consistency. Prime example is Deans Solomon blue eye synergy and now when I run blue eyes it's almost a peanut butter And jelly kinda relationship in my mind. Then I throw an imprison on the team and call it a day :P

Great read. Netdecking isn't a bad thing. It gets a bad rep from players that do it. Everyone knows the type, individual that starts a new game. Starts netdecking it and all of the sudden he's a pro player. That's what ruins netdecking.

As a whole it's just a much broader range of what we've all always had...information. Back in the pre internet days we all had that one person at our FLGS that just picked the game up faster than everyone else. Those were the people we went to for information. They could only tell you stories of what they faced and didn't even know exact card counts if they didn't see them all. Netdecking today is nothing more than knowing a guy who has a friend, that has a friend, that has a friend that does event coverage. Gone are the days of the small circle of people kicking ideas around wondering if anyone else thought of it. Now that circle knows what the "meta" of their game is and kicks around the ideas to counter it. It definitely helps everyone be more competitive by giving base foundations to build on.

O.k Here is an example of some netdecking

One of these are a team made by @Necromanticer
    The Other was made by me starting from looking at the team that NecroManticer made

Can you tell which is which (Links below)
    http://tinyurl.com/op58wwj
    http://tinyurl.com/ngp6nrp

One of your best, @IsaacBV . I like the quotes about each netdecking "pro" topic by some of the leaders on the site, followed by your commentary. This is one of my favorite ways to build teams. I hear or read about a combo or theme that interests me and pair it with my own favorite cards. Sometimes I am beat over the head at a constructed event by someone else's combo and I will bring it home and give it my own spin and bring it to the next event. Using these podcasts and the internet to share these ideas just expands our exposure to more ideas.
    How do I modify AIA for Little Cup?
    How do Jocasta and The Outsider change that Villians Retaliation team?

Reverse Netdecking should be a thing too. Expecting that someone will bring Walsh's, JT's or Dean's team to the next constructed event, then bringing counters for those win cons that pair well with yours. I guess we actually just call it "building a meta".

Quote Originally Posted by jevansfp View Post

Reverse Netdecking should be a thing too. Expecting that someone will bring Walsh's, JT's or Dean's team to the next constructed event, then bringing counters for those win cons that pair well with yours. I guess we actually just call it "building a meta".
    Thank you!
    And yes I think that "Reverse engineering" idea fits the meta building idea and it fits well into the idea of homebrewing that we will cover next time

Quote Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
    O.k Here is an example of some netdecking

One of these are a team made by @Necromanticer
    The Other was made by me starting from looking at the team that NecroManticer made

Can you tell which is which (Links below)
    http://tinyurl.com/op58wwj
    http://tinyurl.com/ngp6nrp
    Necro made this one: http://tinyurl.com/ngp6nrp

Also on topic, since I come mainly from a Yugioh background, I think I can provide some background on netdecking and what netdecking actually is. I'm glad @Bestia posted this because it can help my point a little bit. For starters, what Bestia did here is not what I would ever call netdecking. Necro came up with an interesting concept, Bestia appears to have tried it out and gained some inspiration, and has built something almost entirely different. In fact, the teams only share the Blue Dragon card between them, which provides some mass removal on a large body at an affordable price, always a great card to play with. Instead, something much more valuable has happened here, a new team has been born.

Anyways, in Yugioh, netdecking has developed a hatred among a large portion of the playerbase, and ironically, they are usually the people responsible for it's recurrence. Here is what will happen. There will be a circuit series ARG event where a well known player such as Jeff Jones will do well playing a deck. We'll call this deck X. Now, what will happen is people will immediately latch on to deck X and will begin to play it. Here, however, is where we see the crucial difference. People are not taking X deck and modifying it to become something new or innovative, which we'll call deck XY. Instead, people are ripping off the deck, taking it to events and succeeding. This is largely to do with the skill gap in the game and how playing most decks in Yugioh do not require any thought (I can say this, I've played the game for years and have been successful) but follow a checklist. This is due to a number of reasons, but for the most part it's because Yugioh is largely a combo based game. I can't necessarily speak for MTG because I don't play it, but I can say that this is where a significant portion of hatred for netdecking comes from.

This is where we get the key difference. Netdecking in a game like Dicemasters will not earn you any success outside of a small local event, at best. Matchups and bad rolls are always a factor, but it's impossible to deny that success will mostly come from the skill of the pilot, both in playing it and in building it, talior making it for specific events. My point is, outside of maybe some little cup concepts that @Shadowmeld and @RJRETRO come up with, most of what I've seen done on here is not netdecking, but rather taking a concept, becoming inspired, and making something that is your own, just like Bestia did up there. It's one of the reasons I like this game so much, because a game where netdecking can lead to success at events is destined for stagnation. The most I tend to see on here is after the recent Worlds event, a bunch of people throwing Solomon Grundy and Deadpool Jack into whatever team they can think of, even when they serve absolutely no purpose because their team isn't built for control or the have a strong win condition already and need to fix other flaws. They will probably figure it out for themselves however, once the cards do nothing for them and they decide to experiment with other ideas, and possibly even come up with something great.

Well to be honest - my team started with SR Black Canary, and cards that attempted to do the same thing Necro did in his team, but because I don't own any yughio cards, I drew on what I had.

Then it morphed into a little cup team (that I took to my local stores tourney completely untested), which then I heard/read about Doctor Strange, and added him in - making my team completely new (in music it is called a variation of a theme)

But with the large amount of cards, and with out the easy of buying exactly the singles you need (like magic, and I am guessing yughio) where you can drop a list into a website order the team with the excite number of dice we won't see, what MTG players consider true net decking for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
    Well to be honest - my team started with SR Black Canary, and cards that attempted to do the same thing Necro did in his team, but because I don't own any yughio cards, I drew on what I had.

Then it morphed into a little cup team (that I took to my local stores tourney completely untested), which then I heard/read about Doctor Strange, and added him in - making my team completely new (in music it is called a variation of a theme)

But with the large amount of cards, and with out the easy of buying exactly the singles you need (like magic, and I am guessing yughio) where you can drop a list into a website order the team with the excite number of dice we won't see, what MTG players consider true net decking for a while
    It's actually pretty easy to find the exact cards you need from large online board and card game shops. Finding them at a price you're comfortable with may be a struggle, but it's helped by the fact that running four of a super-rare means ordering one super-rare and three commons.