Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Next big meta shift? Mera stops the big swing win?

  1. #1

    Next big meta shift? Mera stops the big swing win?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	2967

    Look at that global! Is this the end of the big hitters? What ways can you get round this card? Is this going to be a big meta change?


    I have a lot of ideas on getting round it and stopping it but lets have a brain storm and see what people are thinking.

  2. #2
    Wouldn't Human Paladin get around this global?



    While active, your characters in the field cannot be affected by global abilities used by your opponent.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    Wouldn't Human Paladin get around this global?



    While active, your characters in the field cannot be affected by global abilities used by your opponent.
    Im not sure, i did consider it but does it target the character or the damage it is doing or does it target the pperson recieving the damage?

  4. #4
    I would say that the way the global is written it affects the character.

    Global: Pay . If a character would deal you 5 or more combat damage, it [the character] instead deals you 2 combat damage.

    The global changes the amount of damage the character deals as compared to reducing the damage directly.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I would say that the way the global is written it affects the character.

    Global: Pay . If a character would deal you 5 or more combat damage, it [the character] instead deals you 2 combat damage.

    The global changes the amount of damage the character deals as compared to reducing the damage directly.
    I'm with you but it doesn't say targets which is how all the globals I can think of that Human Paladin prevents work, I think it will be another one that Wizkids will make an interesting ruling on, but I wouldnt be suprised to see it work either way.

  6. #6
    Human Paladin, Prismatic Spray, and Zombie Magneto all help defend against Mera from what I can tell. Mera is a strong character, but I don't think it does enough to slow down the meta. It will just mean the builds that want to swing big have to have the sort of answer they were most likely already using anyway.

  7. #7
    Prismatic spray I'd thought of, Zombi Magneto had slipped my mind but is a good one. Still not sure on Human Paladin something in the wording is ambigous enough that it could get ruled either way.

    I put more of my thought into avoiding doing more than 4 combat damage per swing. It's only an idea at the moment but Nick Fury and the Kobolds of S.H.I.E.L.D. in their Helicarrier is screaming to be made.

  8. #8
    It's affecting damage not the character. So pally wouldn't help. Ruling needed but even if this goes the other way it's a four cost counter to a counter you may or may not see so I still think Mera will make a big impact.

  9. #9
    Human Paladin does specifically say that it only prevents the characters from being effected by globals. It should deal full damage towards you. "IT" meaning the character shouldn't be effected by the mask.

  10. #10
    Loki - Loki Laufeyson

    He's the super neutralizer. All he has to do is ping Mera via and her abilities are erased that turn. With it classified as Global it can be used anytime when Loki is active.

    Human Paladin doesn't help at all, because Mera's Global doesn't involve characters, but the damage you or your opponent takes from a character. Mera's Global goes into affect after damage is dealt because it reduces total damage received by said character. It doesn't reduce the character's attack value through the character itself.

    Here is the order of action:
    1. Opposing character does 5+ damage to you.
    2. Mera's Global happens.
    3. Damage you take from character is reduced to 2.

    The extra damage just disappears, it doesn't reduce the character's attack stat.

  11. #11
    I don't think that timing is true for Mera. All of the vocabulary used is future tense, damage reduction isn't worded like that. Compare the verbiage on her global and Vibranium Shield's global.

    If you're using Loki all they have to do is not purchase Mera. They still get access to the global and you can't take it away since you can never ping her.

  12. #12
    Ok here's another question how does Mera's global interact with Nick Fury Patch if you have a character that is an avenger and does 4 pots of damage twice (via patch's ability)

  13. #13
    2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion
    360

    Location
    Akron, OH
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by vonVile View Post
    Loki - Loki Laufeyson

    He's the super neutralizer. All he has to do is ping Mera via and her abilities are erased that turn. With it classified as Global it can be used anytime when Loki is active.
    Despite being ruled that way at Gencon, I am unconvinced Loki removes a global. It's targeted, and the global ability does not reside in the target die, but the character.

  14. #14
    But thats the characters global. It removes the text for a turn. I dont see how that isnt fair

  15. #15
    well the fact is, Globals are Abilities used by the player, not the character.
    I am not uptodate if Loki shuts down a Global on a card too, but
    But it all comes down when is what useful.

    This mera Global is good for 4 Turn kill teams. Also for late game, if you have enough PXG out there.
    But an Team that uses Abilities to hurt you will not be stopped. Also a Zoo-Swarm Team will also not be stopped so fast.
    It is good against Transfer Power Global.

    I would say the global itself is better than Loki at early game. but using this global will also stall the player sometimes to the fact that you need maybe this mask.

    So a shifting meta with her, i dont think so except for Striker/Rush-Teams. She is the next in a line of globals with Distraction and so on.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    Despite being ruled that way at Gencon, I am unconvinced Loki removes a global. It's targeted, and the global ability does not reside in the target die, but the character.
    I would agree, except that the Zombie Magneto question (re: Wasp's Global) that I posted and was answered said that zMag's abilities functionally wipe the card of its text like Prismatic Spray. The text on Loki reads very similar to the text on zMags.

  17. #17
    2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion
    360

    Location
    Akron, OH
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    I would agree, except that the Zombie Magneto question (re: Wasp's Global) that I posted and was answered said that zMag's abilities functionally wipe the card of its text like Prismatic Spray. The text on Loki reads very similar to the text on zMags.
    I totally agree. But wiping the text from a target (say one Green Goliath) with another in the field does not (!) wipe the ability from the second. This is what leads me to the conclusion that globals cannot be wiped by Loki while they can by Zmagneto.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    I totally agree. But wiping the text from a target (say one Green Goliath) with another in the field does not (!) wipe the ability from the second. This is what leads me to the conclusion that globals cannot be wiped by Loki while they can by Zmagneto.
    I agree with JT here. It's about a single instance of a die being targeted versus all characters. I'll hold out hope that future cards are worded more clearly but I'm pretty sure JT is right here.

  19. #19
    For the record, I agree as well.

    But I could see them ruling the other way based on the wording of zMags.

  20. #20
    2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion
    360

    Location
    Akron, OH
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    For the record, I agree as well.

    But I could see them ruling the other way based on the wording of zMags.
    That's a fair point, but, in my opinion, it would require an errata that materially changes the targeting portion of the text or the ability itself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •