Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Why skip sets?

  1. #1

    Why skip sets?

    So, I finally finished the new episode of the podcast, and I just can't keep quiet about this. Why on earth do people skip sets? Personally, I don't know a whole lot about age of ultron, as I don't care for the avengers movies, and didn't really read it in the comics, but I still love the set, it's got a lot of cool stuff, even though I don't like a lot of the characters.

    I understand not liking a specific IP, I just don't understand why people skip sets they don't care entirely for, and even more, play IP restricted formats, or mainly, non-unlimited formats(pauper excluded). This game is too young to skip stuff and invent new formats. You don't see people skipping sets in other TCGish games like magic, pokemon and yugioh. The reason is, if you skip a whole set, you're probably going to lose an edge in the meta overall. Why hold yourself back? Even with casual play, why limit yourself so much? Don't think I'm trying to be negative, I'm genuinely curious, if this was any other game, people would call you crazy for skipping a set. So in all sincerity, why skip a set?

  2. #2
    Magic, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh CCGs are all self-contained IP specific. With Dice Masters or Hero Clix or Vs, if someone really doesn't like something, I can't see buying it just because it's limiting. One can always purchase a starter only for the BACs and any game-shattering cards can be purchased from eBay or Some other after-market source. There's no need to chase the whole set if one wants none or only a few of the cards.

  3. #3
    That's not what I'm asking. I can understand only wanting meta relevant cards and stuff. That's on every game, but there are people who don't play marvel or dc or non comic sets, just because. I want to know why. It seems silly to me, why skip so much of what this awesome game offers?

  4. #4
    Money. There are so many sets coming out now that I will have to pick and choose. I will still get every starter and every common set for Little Cup, but I cannot afford two GFs a set now.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnofist View Post
    That's not what I'm asking. I can understand only wanting meta relevant cards and stuff. That's on every game, but there are people who don't play marvel or dc or non comic sets, just because. I want to know why. It seems silly to me, why skip so much of what this awesome game offers?
    It comes down to the fact that Dice Masters draws in many more board gamers than it does Magic/CCG gamers. The mentalities of these groups are very different. Whereas the Magic crowd, on average, will go all in to min-max their teams, board gamers, on average, value the fun and theme more than the Magic players, although they still want to win obviously. They view new sets like they do expansions to a board game. If it doesn't interest them for whatever reason they won't buy in.

    I'll use myself as an example: I come from more of a board game background than a CCG background. I don't like playing villains. It makes me feel icky. I will never play a villain team, even if it is obviously the best team. On my constructed teas, I seek to avoid including villains at all costs. If there were a villain only expansion, I would consider skipping it. Might I lose some games because of that? Sure. But I play to have fun, and if losing a few games increases my fun overall, I'm all in.

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Why do some people watch Football and not Motor Racing?

    It's all 'sport', right?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    Money. There are so many sets coming out now that I will have to pick and choose. I will still get every starter and every common set for Little Cup, but I cannot afford two GFs a set now.
    This. 4 years ago I'd be all over every card of every set. I have a 2 year old now, and twins coming in the next 2 months, so I'm going to be skipping some sets going forward. A new set every 2 months is just too much for me right now. With the lack of a local scene, I don't feel the need right now to keep up with meta cards from every set. I can have fun sticking to 1 IP and playing with my friends from time to time.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFirefly View Post
    This. 4 years ago I'd be all over every card of every set. I have a 2 year old now, and twins coming in the next 2 months, so I'm going to be skipping some sets going forward. A new set every 2 months is just too much for me right now. With the lack of a local scene, I don't feel the need right now to keep up with meta cards from every set. I can have fun sticking to 1 IP and playing with my friends from time to time.
    Welcome to the club! Proud father of a six year old daughter, four year old boy girl twins, and a four month old daughter here. Shoot me a PM of you need any advice about the twins-with-a-two-year-old thing. It's crazy but so much fun

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    Welcome to the club! Proud father of a six year old daughter, four year old boy girl twins, and a four month old daughter here. Shoot me a PM of you need any advice about the twins-with-a-two-year-old thing. It's crazy but so much fun
    No twins here, but a 4 year old, 3 year old, 1.5 year old, and 3 months. Spending money on games is hard.

  11. #11
    Okay, then, why: Money. A wife and 2 kids that also play. Potentially needing 16 dice of popular characters. Friends that like the game just enough to play with our cards. As of WoL, I'm going straight DC and D&D for completion. I don't like the Marvel characters that much. I never have. My kids like the name brands, and buying 2 starters and packs for drafts will be more than enough. I grew up on DC and D&D. It's what I like, it's my money, and no one can bully, shame, or coerce me into buying a product I don't want. (All spoken in a pleasant, even, non-threatening, friendly tone of voice.) 😊

  12. #12
    Cost quite possibly. Was for me. Although the forthcoming rainbow draft has meant I r finally relented and dipped a hesitant toe in go justice league. But I honestly canny not afford the 250+ to complete a new set every 2 months, and that's just marvel and dc. If you factor in other sets were looking at 2 sets every 3 months early next year give or take. That's just too much money. As much as I love it. I also play attack wing which has monthly releases and picking up a board game every month or two my budget only goes so far. And now with the move to 8 super rares driving up a set price even further.... somethings got to give. So I completely understand why people don't get everything. And that's before you even get in to op/draft costs.... damn wizkids

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Because blurry screen grabs are embarrassing card art.

  15. #15
    That was all that Konami let them use.

    I see skipping a set overall, but I'd need to at least pick up some of the meta cards (part of why we started the Top Ten Cards to Own ongoing series on TRP podcast).

  16. #16
    Money is a big one. I have family but no wife or kids so I just pick up when I can. I'm starting to save up so I can get a feed. I got bills to pay.

  17. #17
    So to everyone comparing sets to food and sports, this is not the same. As for cost, why buy a whole feed at once? I usually buy a few boosters when I'm at the store, and just gradually build from there,and a starter of course. You don't have to buy everything at once, or just draft instead.

    The main thing I want to address though is the mindset that indymon talked about, and how it's actually a bit detrimental to a game like this.

    I understand the board gaming mindset, but that's not what this game is, this is a collectable game with competitive play, sales of each set need to be good for the game to keep going further. When different sets plummet in sales because people can't see the game past the pictures, it hurts the game as a whole. When you oppose a set because you don't care about that line of comics, sales stay low and the game won't be seen as a good investment to the company so even less will go into it until it dies all together.

    I've seen this countless times with other games, I don't want it to happen here. So just finest you can and play dice masters, it's all one game we all love.

  18. #18

  19. #19
    Sooo.... if your going to buy a cd by a band, you might as well by concert tickets too. And if you're going to go to a football game, you should just buy season tickets. I mean, why play the game at all, if you're not going to buy everything that comes out, right?

  20. #20
    I actually do tend to go to concerts, and if I lived in Wisconsin I'd buy a season pass.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Sooo.... if your going to buy a cd by a band, you might as well by concert tickets too. And if you're going to go to a football game, you should just buy season tickets. I mean, why play the game at all, if you're not going to buy everything that's comes out, right?
    Except this isn't anywhere near the same thing. Buying product supports the game! Playing a collectable game isn't like going to a single football game, it's like goi g to every football game, you end up doing it long term and might as well by season passes as you're there anyway. Do you really not care about supporting this game?(burn out aside, I know you recently stopped playing).

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnofist View Post
    Except this isn't anywhere near the same thing. Buying product supports the game! Playing a collectable game isn't like going to a single football game, it's like goi g to every football game, you end up doing it long term and might as well by season passes as you're there anyway. Do you really not care about supporting this game?(burn out aside, I know you recently stopped playing).
    Buying any amount of product supports the game. Most people don't need or want every item because they'll never use it.

  23. #23
    I think you two just made the same argument, but for different reasons.

    Randy is saying, you can buy tickets to go to a Football game if you're looking for a good time, without having to invest in "supporting the team".

    You are saying, you should "support the game" and buy season tickets.

    That I think should answer your question, "Because I don't feel like investing in supporting the game that much."

    Some people want to, others don't, and the level of support they give is based on their financial means, interest and free time.

    TL;DR People are different.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I think you two just made the same argument, but for different reasons.

    Randy is saying, you can buy tickets to go to a Football game if you're looking for a good time, without having to invest in "supporting the team".

    You are saying, you should "support the game" and buy season tickets.

    That I think should answer your question, "Because I don't feel like investing in supporting the game that much."

    Some people want to, others don't, and the level of support they give is based on their financial means, interest and free time.

    TL;DR People are different.
    I'm saying you should buy season to let's if you're going already. But there's a difference between super casual occasional players, and those of us posting on a forum dedicated to this game. We're going to events, reading spoilers and making fan content, why should we not support the game with every set? Why does an IP drive away your interest in game mechanics. Why not look into other IPs and see why others might like it/why wizkids chose to use it? You may even learn why some cards even have the abilities that they have. Am I really alone in having these thoughts?

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    Welcome to the club! Proud father of a six year old daughter, four year old boy girl twins, and a four month old daughter here. Shoot me a PM of you need any advice about the twins-with-a-two-year-old thing. It's crazy but so much fun
    Thanks! It's going to be nuts I'm sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    No twins here, but a 4 year old, 3 year old, 1.5 year old, and 3 months. Spending money on games is hard.
    Yeah. I'm going to be the super casual gamer until they're out of daycare.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •