Thread: Last week's Super Stirge Super Showdown Super Silly Super Show Spectacular

Last week's Super Stirge Super Showdown Super Silly Super Show Spectacular

I just thought I'd make a little post about this since it was pretty destructive at my locals last week. It came second place overall, losing only 1 game due to the inability to roll a starting stirge turn after turn (chalk that up to bad luck, couldn't start my swarm without a stirge to field) but when luck doesn't punch you in the gut and grab your wallet, it works incredibly well.

Last week I had just gotten off of work and ran home to get ready for the tournament, but I hadn't thought of a team to play. I wanted to play something new and had a few ideas floating around in my head, but I also felt like actually doing well with my tests, so I didn't go for the craziest one I had in the bag. Instead, I built a team in 5 minutes focusing on a 2 card interaction that I absolutely love.

I've looked all over the website to see if anyone else had noticed this interaction and the best I could find was a vague mention about using this global on a pure swarm team from a comment in an old article that Evan wrote. If anyone has seen anything else, let me know, but I can tell you that as far as I know, it's nowhere to be found on here. I'll edit this with a mention if someone does find something relating to it.

Anyways, here's the combo. Purchase your stirges that you intend to swarm with and field them. One (or more) can sit on the board to allow for you to trigger swarm when you draw another stirge die. The other(s) are free to attack your opponent one by one, unblockable until they fall over and die. Now, here's the key bit. If a character goes unblocked, you can use the summoned skull global to pay a bolt energy and place the die back in your bag. THIS IS AMAZING WITH SWARM AND STIRGE. Picture this. Draw 4 dice, trigger swarm, draw extras. Field a stirge and attack for unblockable damage, pay a bolt to place it back into the bag and guarantee yourself more and more swarm tirggers every turn. With proper bag management, PXG weeps at his impotence compared to the almighty stirge.

Now just add in a buffing global, such as the handy anger issues to give a character +1 attack per fist you give up (which stirge provides) and you're hitting your opponent with consistent, heavy damage as early as turn 3, while you build up a big beefy wall to hide behind. Add in some control cards and your opponent will pull their hair out. Now, I have made some revisions to the team, as the original was hastily put together in about 5 minutes and could use some smoothing out. Here's what I currently have in the team:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1074617.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	2989 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magneto-Magnetic-Monster.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	2990

I hate to say it for all the budget players out there, but like all of MY stupid ideas, it's extra stupid by being stupidly expensive to build. If you look at this and think that it's the best thing ever, do yourself and your wallet a favour, and don't rush out and buy all the cards. It's not that great.

Onto choices. The stirge combo with summoned skull is obvious, so that eats up 2 slots. BEWD is BEWD, makes stirges affordable, provides ramp and gives me removal thanks to grundy. Grundy exists for control, targeted removal for lethal swings, etc etc. Constantine is extremely important here. Calling Hulk can and will save you from having your board wiped before grundy can answer the threat when priority is finally passed. It also does the regular things.

Human paladin and jocasta on the same team may confuse some, especially because of weird rulings, but I actually quite like it. It answers different threats and still requires them to pay energy to take less damage when jocasta redir- I MEAN when Jocasta does damage to your opponent. She also stays put on the board and doesn;t go down easily, making her a good stall choice. Won a game with her alone. It's especially great when your opponent forgets you have her, declares an attack with something like a giant man and then proceeds to take 7 damage.

Zombie magneto deals with enemy constantines on my stirge, stops gobby, tsarinas, pepper potts, all sort of little nasty things that ruin my day. Also, if you can field a zombie magneto alongside a human paladin, some strategies will automatically lose due to the inability to function. You can peck them with stirges all day long as they sit there, helpless. Polymorph is safe in this case because of the summoned skull global keeping your used pile free, so buying my polymorph to take out magneto isn't always an option.

Polymoprh gives me added removal, helps ensure important characters like grundy, magneto and even paladin and jocasta hit the board reliably. It's too good not to play. As for anger issues, it's only there for the global. I was playing transfer power originally, but wanted to try something a little different. I also feel like Jocasta can keep me safe from it being used against me, and any teams that will benefit heavily from it are probably already running it. It will be replaces by something like the Mirror Force basic action card as soon as the promo Owlbear get's released, which as far as I can tell, is "pay a fist to give target character +1A". Character slots can come and go, but basic actions are important.

There's a lot more I could talk about here, but I've been having a blast with some old gamecube games I managed to boot up again and I figure most people are smart enough to figure other synergies on here out for themselves. If you do have a question, feel free to ask and I'll answer of course.

The two main reasons I wanted to post this are:

-I wanted to share this madness with the internet

-Feedback is always helpful, even when I think the team is down-pat someone could come along and mention something I could have forgotten or inspire me

Thanks for taking a look at the Super Stirge Super Showdown Super Silly Super Show Spectacular. The title get's longer every day I think about it, I swear.

I think it looks great, have you considered Transfer Power's Global to beef up your unblockable Stirge?

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    I think it looks great, have you considered Transfer Power's Global to beef up your unblockable Stirge?
    As I mentioned, I was playing it originally but am trying out anger issues for more consistent damage

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I built a team in 5 minutes focusing on a 2 card interaction that I absolutely love.

I've looked all over the website to see if anyone else had noticed this interaction and the best I could find was a vague mention about using this global on a pure swarm team from a comment in an old article that Evan wrote.
    I've recently been using Summoned Skull with Injection Fairy Lily and Tsarina.

Great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I just thought I'd make a little post about this since it was pretty destructive at my locals last week. It came second place overall, losing only 1 game due to the inability to roll a starting stirge turn after turn (chalk that up to bad luck, couldn't start my swarm without a stirge to field)
    I'll confirm that he was definitely not lucky with swarm that game. However Osprey did you ever find out if my spindown of xmen characters to pump Kitty after using Doomcaliber uncommon global was legal . I'm still curious!

Spinning down a character is paying the cost, and spinning up Kitty, doesn't target, because she is doing the effect to her self. You are GtG on spinning Kitty post DCK.

Quote Originally Posted by Judgemental View Post
    I'll confirm that he was definitely not lucky with swarm that game. However Osprey did you ever find out if my spindown of xmen characters to pump Kitty after using Doomcaliber uncommon global was legal . I'm still curious!
    Just got off work and before I could post, Shadowmeld beat me to it. Yes, the move is legal and my ruling was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Judgemental View Post
    Was a bit off topic I apologize, thanks for the response gents.
    Back on topic: I love this. I'm totally stealing this Osprey.

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post
    Back on topic: I love this. I'm totally stealing this Osprey.
    Let me know how it goes! I work so much, I barely get to test things most of the time, so anytime I make a change, it ends up being tested at a tournament.