Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Article: Presenting the Black Lanterns!

These cards are so sweet looking!

I'm not so sure about Aquaman and Wonder Woman having free reign to target any character, considering they reference "the Used Pile" and not "it's owners Used Pile" or "that player's Used Pile" the way something like Polymorph does.

I love everything on display here:

We now have access to 10 energy on turn two.
    Losing life circumvents counter burn making these characters legitimately useful. (Jinzo/Black Lantern Batman, anyone?)
    Absolutely fantastic stats.
    Silly and fun utility.
    Multiple ™'s.

They've got it all! Black Lanterns for (un)life!

So, since the names on the cards are Black Lantern X, does that mean we can have the regular AND Black Lantern versions on the same team? I realize that it would be wacky, but I know of at least two people who could build a team around that ability alone.

Quote Originally Posted by OddballNarwhal View Post
    So, since the names on the cards are Black Lantern X, does that mean we can have the regular AND Black Lantern versions on the same team? I realize that it would be wacky, but I know of at least two people who could build a team around that ability alone.
    Seems like you could. It turns into free ramp as they get KO'd not moved to use. The Aquaman and WW ones seem to make a lot of sense there.

Nice! Thank you for spoiling these cards for us, I've wanted to see these since I heard about them. I love that we have a BL for each energy type as well and cannot wait to get my hands on them.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    I'm not so sure about Aquaman and Wonder Woman having free reign to target any character, considering they reference "the Used Pile" and not "it's owners Used Pile" or "that player's Used Pile" the way something like Polymorph does.
    I'm not sure if you are agreeing that they can "target" a die in my opponents used, or disagreeing.

I want to combo Batmobile with BL Batman in the worst way. I want a Zombie Batman to creep up in a fly hoopty (and cost 2 less to purchase). This is now item # 1 on my Dice Masters Bucket List.

No need to pick between Batman and Superman. Use both and get twice the energy

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post

Losing life circumvents counter burn making these characters legitimately useful. (Jinzo/Black Lantern Batman, anyone?)
    Silly and fun utility.
    Multiple 's.

11 I think. 13 if both players bring both.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    11 I think. 13 if both players bring both.
    It makes me sad to think we're 1 energy away from being able to purchase both of them on turn 2...

"one of each energy type"

Does this have to be the four energy types
    Can you use a in place

War of Light Rule Book page 7
    There are four types of energy:
    Fist
    Bolt
    Mask
    Shield
    In addition, some other die faces provide energy:
    Wildcard (  ) may be used as any type of energy.
    Generic (  ) provides two energy, but of no particular type. Doubles some faces will provide two Fists, two Masks, etc. by
    showing two of that symbol.

There are only 4 types of Energy.

There are two other ways to get energy, Wilds and Generic.

Wilds are ANY type and Generic is NO type, but there are still only 4 types.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    There are only 4 types of Energy.

There are two other ways to get energy, Wilds and Generic.

Wilds are ANY type and Generic is NO type, but there are still only 4 types.
    Just a nitpick, Wilds are not "ANY type", they can be used to pay for costs instead of any type of energy. They ARE Wilds and that's why they don't count towards the types of energy for the purposes of this effect or the other energy requisite effects in WoL.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post

Silly and fun utility.
    Multiple 's.

How does one get ten energy on turn 2.

I feel like I'm missing something.

a) Prep 1 with Villainous pact.
    b) Spend 2 on something
    c) PXG those 2 sidekicks to prep
    d) Draw 4 dice (3 sidekicks and oh there it is a 50/50 shot at a side kick and new dice 2 cost die you purchased).
    e) Roll 7 dice, get 6 energy on all the side kicks and 2 energy on the 2 cost character dice you purchased.
    f) Have 1 of each type tog et 2 energy from BLSupes and BLBats

Figured it out as I typed it out

Quote Originally Posted by KennedyHawk View Post
    How does one get ten energy on turn 2.

I feel like I'm missing something.

a) Prep 1 with Villainous pact.
    b) Spend 2 on something
    d) Draw 4 dice (3 sidekicks and oh there it is a 50/50 shot at a side kick and new dice 2 cost die you purchased).
    e) Roll 7 dice, get 6 energy on all the side kicks and 2 energy on the 2 cost character dice you purchased.
    f) Have 1 of each type tog et 2 energy from BLSupes and BLBats

Figured it out as I typed it out
    I was only using one of their globals so that we still have slots left over for useful characters. If you use both, you can hit 11 on your own and as @Jthomash2 Pointed out, you can hit 13 if both you and your opponent bring them.

Prep 2 dice with a combination of Villainous Pact, Resurrection, and Silver Surfer.
    Use PXG twice, leaving 1 die in used and 2 dice in your bag.
    Turn 2 you draw 3 dice, lose 1 life and gain 1 generic energy since you couldn't draw 4, and add the 5 prepped dice to your roll.
    If they all come up different energy, you now have 9 energy and can use the Black Lantern globals.
    Using two of your own, you rack up 11 energy on turn two as the new maximum that you can bring to the table.

Or this to get the 13 energy on turn two:

a) Prep 1 with Resurrection/Villainous pact/Silver Surfer
    b) Spend 2 on two Kobolds/Morphing Jars
    d) Draw 4 dice (2 sidekicks 2 Kobolds/Morphing Jars you purchased).
    e) Roll 7 dice; get 5 energy (four different kinds) on all the sidekicks and 2 energy on each of the Kobolds/Morphing Jars dice you purchased.
    f) Have 1 of each type to get 2 energy from your BLSupes and BLBats
    g) Have 1 of each type to get 2 energy from your opponents BLSupes and BLBats

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Knight View Post
    Or this to get the 13 energy on turn two:

a) Prep 1 with Resurrection/Villainous pact/Silver Surfer
    b) Spend 2 on two Kobolds/Morphing Jars
    d) Draw 4 dice (2 sidekicks 2 Kobolds/Morphing Jars you purchased).
    e) Roll 7 dice; get 5 energy (four different kinds) on all the sidekicks and 2 energy on each of the Kobolds/Morphing Jars dice you purchased.
    f) Have 1 of each type to get 2 energy from your BLSupes and BLBats
    g) Have 1 of each type to get 2 energy from your opponents BLSupes and BLBats
    If you only prep one die from the bag, you have a 50% chance to draw one kobold or morphing jar and a zero % chance to draw both. Right?

Any idea if they all show up as chase rares or is wizkids being kinder to collectors this set?

So, if we brought ALL 4 Black lanterns, Kobold, Morphing Jar, Silver Surfer and PXG, Resurection ad Villainous pact. we're talking Turn 2 Lantern buy, followed by more and more 7 drop buys? I'd start with Aquaman or perhaps Batman as my first buy, and then pick up Aquaman. Probably NEVER buy Superman.

PS you'd have to bring 4x PXGs and Surfers jsut to get to 20 dice

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    If you only prep one die from the bag, you have a 50% chance to draw one kobold or morphing jar and a zero % chance to draw both. Right?
    Whoops, this is true you only have a shot at drawing one of the one costs. I retract my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Any idea if they all show up as chase rares or is wizkids being kinder to collectors this set?
    No evidence of Chase yet.