Thread: Unboxing the DnD Starter I just bought in anticipation of my DnD GF, c/o TRP!

Unboxing the DnD Starter I just bought in anticipation of my DnD GF, c/o TRP!

This is so awesome. I hadn't realized the Beholders were starter set dudes, and I've needed Magic Missile and Resurrect forever.

It's also good to have the rulebook for DnD considering that I judge. There was an equipment question one time I wasn't 100% sure about, but fortunately the other judge was there and playing and was able to easily answer it.

The DND starter is by far my favorite starter so far. Love the basic actions and I think Beholder is super fun.

I hate to burst your bubble, but you might want to read those Human Paladin - they arent the ones that stop the globals, but there is one that protects you (not your characters) from when fielded direct damage effects

The one that stops globals has the sub-title Emerald Enclave

Weren't you "Marvel-only" at one point?

Man, I hope you decide to open some YGO stuff just to see how good it is too. This is awesome.

Slightly related... I have an unopened D&D starter sitting on my shelf. I want to give it away, but I feel we should have a fun D&D themed contest to do so...

Quote Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble, but you might want to read those Human Paladin - they arent the ones that stop the globals, but there is one that protects you (not your characters) from when fielded direct damage effects

The one that stops globals has the sub-title Emerald Enclave
    I knew I wasn't quoting something correctly, lol, but I knew I had something cool; I just didn't feel like going back and looking.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRETRO View Post
    Weren't you "Marvel-only" at one point?

Man, I hope you decide to open some YGO stuff just to see how good it is too. This is awesome.
    I was comics only, because it was a secondary hobby, and the fun I was having and what got me into it was playing a card/dice game with characters I knew. I was always pretty neutral on the DnD set, it just didn't have any characters that I knew or anything, and the hobby did start out secondary for me as well. I won't lie that I still actively dislike Yu-Gi-Oh as an IP and a Dice Masters set, for a multitude of reasons, none of which really have to do with the mechanics of the set, but more the overall theme and feel of what Yu-Gi-Oh is, etc... I won't get more into it.

I probably still wouldn't have gotten into DnD, but we have some awesome super OP prize kits for a super big DnD tourney, since we weren't running events regularly when the DnD OP kits were coming out, and I'll probably participate in about half if there's an odd number that show up - all opening sealed product of some kind. I still wouldn't have gotten that much into it, but I won the free gravity feed here, and there was literally no reason to take any other GF that was available, even if AvX was, because all I'd be doing is selling what I won, instead of enjoying my winnings (I have every comic set minus a few SRs and rares I just don't care about owning, like, less than 10 total) which felt would be really crappy, so I chose DnD; there was literally no chance of me taking YGO. If I'd had last pick and it was the last one left, I'd have obviously taken it, but it would've just turned into straight cash, and I'd feel dirty about doing that with contest winnings - I'm not telling anyone else what they have to/should do, or how they should feel based on what they do.

Anyway, it made sense to get the starter - you can't really get into a set without one IMO - in addition to getting the rulebook and being a judge so it's good for me to be familiar with everything.

Surprisingly, it was a little hard to find. My local store didn't have it, and the online wholesaler I ordered from literally had one left in stock. I don't know if other places would have had it, but I was also glad to get in on the ground floor now before the second set comes out.

Be advised: the printed D&D rulebook is missing a few things (like the definition of Adventurer). They were fixed in the online PDF.