Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Big Tournament Jitters

  1. #1

    Big Tournament Jitters

    Hopefully this is the right place for this. I've been playing this game since about mid-June, my best friend got me into it, and I'd like to think I've come alone way as far as playing goes, but know I could definitely go farther. I've played mostly T/CCGs in the past like Magic, YuGiOh, Pokemon, VS, Duel Masters, Raw Deal, etc. I'm no stranger to the competitive scene, but this weekend I'll be attending my first big Dice Masters tourney at the Midwest open.

    I'm honestly starting to get last minute concerns. Is there a team I don't know enough about to deal with properly? What if I didn't bring the right answers? What if I misplay big time? What if I get otk'd before I can do anything? I'm keeping my team under wraps for now, but aside from specific team advice, what are suggestions or tips you guys have for keeping calm and focused on handling whatever comes your way at tournaments, large or small? I plan on getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, etc of course.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by EJayDM View Post
    Hopefully this is the right place for this. I've been playing this game since about mid-June, my best friend got me into it, and I'd like to think I've come alone way as far as playing goes, but know I could definitely go farther. I've played mostly T/CCGs in the past like Magic, YuGiOh, Pokemon, VS, Duel Masters, Raw Deal, etc. I'm no stranger to the competitive scene, but this weekend I'll be attending my first big Dice Masters tourney at the Midwest open.

    I'm honestly starting to get last minute concerns. Is there a team I don't know enough about to deal with properly? What if I didn't bring the right answers? What if I misplay big time? What if I get otk'd before I can do anything? I'm keeping my team under wraps for now, but aside from specific team advice, what are suggestions or tips you guys have for keeping calm and focused on handling whatever comes your way at tournaments, large or small? I plan on getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, etc of course.
    Go in with no expectations. Focus on just playing the game, meeting nice people and having a good time. It really helps to calm your nerves, and you'll stay on top of your game by doing so.

  3. #3
    Ultimately you cannot control what your opponent brings to the match. However, the better you know your team the more confident you will become. Repeatedly play out the first 4 or 5 turns of your team. This will show you what the board state could be and over time this will cement what your first purchases/turns should be. Equally this will lessen the possible outcomes. Often those unknown outcomes are what can create anxiety or misplays.

  4. #4
    I'm in the exact same boat. I'll be at the Midwest Open as well, and it's my first tourney venture outside my local scene. My hope is to just be "competitive". I don't mean in my behavior, but not be the guy that brought the team that looses on turn three. I keep thinking, "am I bringing the right style?, should I restructure and go with something more straightforward?, etc., etc." Ultimately, everyone is right...have a "turn plan" in place and stick to it. Focus on having fun and meet new people, and possibly learn some new tricks to take back home. I'm excited to see someone else from these forums will be in attendance...I'll be the guy in the rayon, button down Superman shirt featuring his mullet from the 90s...make sure to say "Hi"! See ya there!!

  5. #5
    The meta is in constant flux. It's so hard to take it into account. That's why we've touted:

    1. Win condition, represented by as few cards as necessary.
    2. Support for the win condition (in the form of ramp or other things that add consistency)
    3. Protection from threats to your win condition (example, Distraction, so you use uncommon Doomcaliber Knight for the global)

    You bring the best team you can put together, know how you need it to win, and know how to protect yourself from the stuff that would hurt your win condition. You can't defend from everything.

  6. #6
    2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion
    360

    Location
    Akron, OH
    Blog Entries
    2
    Played both @Osprey and @fun4willis at CanNats. Take their advice to heart. Back in the archives there's a blog by Randy about preparation not related to your team (eat, sleep, etc). Best of luck!

  7. #7
    I've been on the same boat too. I always get tournament jitters, no matter the size. The largest tournament I've been to is a magic grand prix with over 1100 people! I think it was that event that made me realise something though. I love this jitters, they're great! It means your excited, that you love this game and that this event is going to be fun.

    On top of all of that, just remember that your nerves will go away once you've started your first game. You'll be focused on playing, cause that's what you're there to do. You'll have too much fun to worry much.

    Also, good luck to everyone at the Midwest open. I recently joined the facebook group since I'm moving to Kansas City from Seattle, next week! So hopefully I'll see you guys at the DND op 3 event or rainbow draft weekend!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by EJayDM View Post
    Hopefully this is the right place for this. I've been playing this game since about mid-June, my best friend got me into it, and I'd like to think I've come alone way as far as playing goes, but know I could definitely go farther. I've played mostly T/CCGs in the past like Magic, YuGiOh, Pokemon, VS, Duel Masters, Raw Deal, etc. I'm no stranger to the competitive scene, but this weekend I'll be attending my first big Dice Masters tourney at the Midwest open.

    I'm honestly starting to get last minute concerns. Is there a team I don't know enough about to deal with properly? What if I didn't bring the right answers? What if I misplay big time? What if I get otk'd before I can do anything? I'm keeping my team under wraps for now, but aside from specific team advice, what are suggestions or tips you guys have for keeping calm and focused on handling whatever comes your way at tournaments, large or small? I plan on getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, etc of course.
    Want some honest advice? Every tournament you will go to you will have some nervousness. When you go, keep in mind a goal.
    If you plan on attending a tournament make the goal. Every time I do I go in mind with going for either first place or going with 0 losses.

    So if its a big tournament think of the goal.
    "I want to make top 8"
    "I want to get first place"
    "I want to play and place high enough"
    "I want to play and make new friends and learn"
    Another tip is play testing. Play test. Play test. PLAY TEST. Create your deck with a plan. Try to cover up its biggest holes. If there's a weakness to the deck, try to neutralize it or get around it. Look at the successful decks and see how you can take apart and neutralize those threats.
    As for decks, go in mind with these.
    RAMP.
    CHURN.
    REMOVAL.
    WIN CONDITION.
    SUPPORT OF WIN CONDITION.
    PLAN B OF WIN CONDITION.
    No deck is perfect but make it as close as you can. When you play....HAVE A PLAN. Get from A to B. If you need to adapt to what your opponent has do not divert from the plan. Dice Masters has a lot of luck but try to keep the randomness down. Look at your board state and what is going through your bag. ALWAYS KEEP UP RAMP. Make the right decisions and READ YOUR OPPONENT. Look at what global's they have and their card effects. Even the veterans may forget a certain effect which just screws them. ALWAYS MAKE SURE OF WHAT THEY HAVE IN THEIR RESERVE.

    Last thing......HAVE FUN. Dice Masters is a lot of luck. Play as perfect as you can. Even if you lose and you did everything right do not let it get you down. It's all in the dice roll which is all about luck. Make new friends and meet people. Keep the Dice Masters community POSITIVE. Good luck

    If you're having the jitters I have a couple of ways to keep them down. What helps for me is.....chewing gum. Its been known to relieve stress. "Gum chewing significantly increased alertness, quickened reaction time and increased the speed of encoding new information" New study found. I always have a pack of gum on me everywhere I go.

    Have something to drink on hand. Water or orange juice is a good option.
    Deep breaths before you start a match.
    Sleep before the day arrives. Getting those 8 hours of sleep.
    This one is by far the most important one. EAT FOR BREAKFAST My thinking process is significantly helped me so much just eating a simple meal in the morning. Being starved of nutrition when there's a time for heavy thinking causes such stress on the body that it can ruin a game. Learned that the hard way with just 6 hours of sleep and no food going into a draft.

  9. #9
    Play to win but attend to enjoy.

    There is always going to be someone better/luckier than you (luckier because it's a dice game and dice can be fickle things), as much as you plan and prepare you may be thrown a curveball. Here's the thing it's a game, no more, no less. Play the game to the best of your ability but at the same time realise everyone attending is doing the same thing, so try to enjoy the experience too. Try to keep the mood light have a laugh, question if you think something is wrong (nobody is going to mind and most will thank you if you point out an error), take your time over hard decisions and give your opponent the same courtesy.

    Oh and check your bag before going make sure you have all the essentials for the game, a drink, a snack and some deodorant.

  10. #10
    I've been playing CCGs for half my life and never got the jitters. I'm usually the most arrogant loud mouth in the venue, which I think helps.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    I've been playing CCGs for half my life and never got the jitters. I'm usually the most arrogant loud mouth in the venue, which I think helps.
    Pathetic Scum

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange Dude View Post
    Play to win but attend to enjoy.

    There is always going to be someone better/luckier than you (luckier because it's a dice game and dice can be fickle things), as much as you plan and prepare you may be thrown a curveball. Here's the thing it's a game, no more, no less. Play the game to the best of your ability but at the same time realise everyone attending is doing the same thing, so try to enjoy the experience too. Try to keep the mood light have a laugh, question if you think something is wrong (nobody is going to mind and most will thank you if you point out an error), take your time over hard decisions and give your opponent the same courtesy.

    Oh and check your bag before going make sure you have all the essentials for the game, a drink, a snack and some deodorant.
    Bathing should be a requirement. Do not go to an event and smell awful. Last thing I want to do is shake hand's with someone who smells like sweaty butt cheeks or forgets what deodorant is.
    Last edited by VastSpartan; 09-11-2015 at 01:40 PM.

  13. #13
    I think this post is the best collection of advise I have ever seen for a collectible game. Play for fun. Bring your "A" game, Prepare for the worst, have a great time. Easy peasy, livin' greasy.

    I will also say, as for strategy, Trying to prepare for everything that CAN be thrown at you is pointless. You will do nothing else, and still not be ready for everything. Find a strong strategy and only counter things that your primary strategy cannot deal with. You'll do fine.

    ...or not. Who knows, really? Certainly not me. Have fun and you will not be disappointed. You and everyone there already have one thing in common. a love of Dicemasters.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Bathing should be a requirement. Do not go to an event and smell awful. Last thing I want to do is shake hand's with someone who forgets what deodorant is.
    I think this should a requirement before being let into any con or event.

    Unless you have a doctor's note that you have a glandular condition that bathing/deodorant doesn't stop (and you find a way to make showing that note discreet), it's literally a chemical assault on the other players at the venue.

    It sucks because it makes it REALLY hard to bring new players into the game that aren't from any sort of gaming/comics/nerdy background at all. It's an immediate, and understandable, turn-off.

    Also... clip your nails. It's really, really easy, but it's the grossest thing I notice when I have to shake someone's hand.

    I'm not sure if this is exactly the advice you were looking for, but as hygiene was already brought up, I thought I'd continue.

    Also, for an anthropology class the past couple weeks, I basically broke down a Magic: the Gathering tournament that I went to with a friend (didn't play myself). The honest to God theme that kept popping up in my analyses was the lack of hygiene compared to any other random population sample - and that was not my intention going into the assignment.
    Last edited by SlapsterMcFlash; 09-11-2015 at 08:51 AM.

  15. #15

  16. #16
    Good luck! One final piece of advice: focus on socializing and having fun. That hay is in the barn--anything you try to do day of is just going to make you more nervous and is unlikely to help you win any more. I was a wreck before worlds and it helped me a ton to just loosen up and chat with people. Dice masters players are incredibly friendly. Talk to people who look happy and are socializing. Make new friends. You'll play better and you'll leave with new, positive relationships. Win-win.

  17. #17

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by EJayDM View Post
    Finished top 8, not bad imo.
    Was that your goal?
    Did the rest and eating help?
    Did the gum chewing come into play?
    Water or orange juice?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •