Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Hal Jordan (WoL) and Green Lantern (JUL)

  1. #1

    Hal Jordan (WoL) and Green Lantern (JUL)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hal.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	3007

    (Hal Jordan image is courtesy of Ken's WoL Spoiler thread found here)

    I've been doing my usual card-by-card evaluation of the upcoming set, and just realized - Hal Jordan has the EXACT same die as Green Lantern from JUL. Same color, same stats, same character symbol, same energy.

    Yes, I know they are the same character - but I don't think I recall seeing two identical dice (on all six sides) from two different sets. Usually the character faces are identical but the energy is different, like AvX Iron Man and UXM Iron Man - or the color is different like AvX Hulk and UXM Rulk.

    This is especially odd because, via game rules that I understand, you can have Hal Jordan (WoL) and Green Lantern (JUL) on your team because their names are unique. My speculation is that the unique name rule was created because - if you had two characters that use the same die on your team at the same time, then you have no idea which version of that character the die belongs to when you draw it unless you modify the die to become unique. As far as I am aware, it is (tournament) illegal to modify your dice in any way, shape, or form.

    Maybe they're a different shade of green, but I have several dice that are slightly different colors of one another due to fluctuations in the manufacturing process.

    If they are to stick to the unique name rule, then a concession has to be made on how to handle this team.

  2. #2
    I just realized after having hit the submit button, that maybe this new die is translucent like the JUL Sinestro die. That would give it enough variance to make it visually distinct.

    Going to start pouring through the starter set reviews to see if I can find a clean picture of the die.


    EDIT:
    Ok, confirmed that the new die is translucent to make it visually different.

    Personal crisis adverted. Just me being stupid and not doing my research.

  3. #3
    I suspect that WizKids will rule that you cannot have Green Lantern and Hal Jordan on the same team.

  4. #4
    I think they can be on the same team. They have different names.

  5. #5
    Unless WizKids does put out a ruling, these guys can MOST DEFINATELY be on the same team.

    Infact, these two being on the same team is no different than Ant-Man and Giant Man being on the same team. They are different embodiments of the same concept, but one is JLA and the other a green lantern. For all game mechanics, they are decidedly distinct, and the only thing causing any confusion is similar art, stat lines and a subtitle that matches a title. All of these particular things have happened before in this game, but have allowed overlap, just perhaps not in this exact confluence.

  6. #6
    The reason I think that WizKids will rule against it is that the rule is that the dice must match the die strip on the card, and, as the die strip on the two cards are identical, one can legally use the translucent and opaque versions interchangeably.

  7. #7
    2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion
    360

    Location
    Akron, OH
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    The reason I think that WizKids will rule against it is that the rule is that the dice must match the die strip on the card, and, as the die strip on the two cards are identical, one can legally use the translucent and opaque versions interchangeably.
    If the dice are different in physical appearance by design at all (for example Hal Jordan being marbled or translucent), I disagree.

  8. #8
    Tournament rules state:
    3.3 Card/die legality – matching items: All Dice Masters dice used for tournament play must match their characters or actions in color as well as design.
    They match on all accounts. Same color, same design. The only thing that might be misconstrued is the word "design" - meaning that the translucent die was designed for Hal Jordan (WoL) and the opaque one was designed for Green Lantern (JUL. By design, one goes with one, and one goes with the other.

    I'm assuming that WK will probably cite this as an issue of the dice being designed for their individual card set, and they are not interchangeable in tournament play. As such, I think they will allow both Hal and GL to be on the same team, but I think there is going to be the occasional confusion and slip-up if you aren't constantly paying attention to which of the two versions you have on the field.

    Speculation. Will post the question on the DM Rules forum.

  9. #9
    The dice color on the cards is different. These cards can be used together.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by digitallimit View Post
    The dice color on the cards is different. These cards can be used together.
    They look the same to me.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    They look the same to me.
    Some dice look very different when it'a in your hand.
    I think the new green later dice will be transparent

  12. #12
    Justice League Green Lantern dice are solid green.

    War of Light Hal Jordan dice are translucent green.

    The card image appears the same, but the dice are definitely different (although identical stat-wise).

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Justice League Green Lantern dice are solid green

    War of Light Hal Jordan dice are translucent green.


    The card image appears the same, but the dice are definitely different (although identical stat-wise).
    And there you have it. First hand account

    /thread

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    They look the same to me.
    They translucent dice strip looks like a lighter green, and that's before the white is balanced up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •