Thread: help piloting draft teams

help piloting draft teams

So here are the teams from a 2 player draft.

My team:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150910_081842.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	3008

My opponents team:

Name:	20150910_082035.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	3009

And here are the basic actions (which were randomly selected before the draft)

Name:	20150910_081910.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	3010

How would you pilot my team?
    What would be your buy order?
    Purchase any basic actions?
    Biggest threat? How would you handle it?

Also do the same if you were piloting the opponents team.

Bonus question:
    which team is better?

Your team:
    Black Manta and a sidekick or Deathstroke into the other.
    Looking to pick up 1 cheetah, 1 Sinestro and the other Deathstroke, plus maybe another Manta.

Wall up, and get your Deathstroke killed as often as possible, possibly buying Smash or batarang to KO him yourself, and trigger retaliation over and over. Use Smash global to stop things like Manhunter and aggressive attacks, allowing you to slowly get your villains killed, and retaliating. Don't attack.

Other team: Red Tornado, into Aquaman and a SK, or vica versa. Then slowly build up JLA characters, in the order, Firestorm, Manhunter, Arrow, Cyborg. Attack with your Firestorm and Manhunter repeatedly, doing damage to your opponent when able. Stay ahead with your higher stats and fast churn with Red Tornado. if you're having problem characters, pick up Cyborg sooner. maybe pick up Fireball to clear some weaker villains and burn faster.

The second team is better. Higher defensive stats, also has cheap retaliation, but includes more direct damage from Firestorm and Green arrow removal. Super churn combo between Aquaman and Red Tornado.

Smash global may slow the JLA team down, but the same could be said for the Villains team, and villains don't have a reliable way to get thier relatively high defense villains KOed easily.

Bonus question ... The Second team

How would you pilot my team?
    By Cheetah - back manta and Deathstroke and just keep swinging maybe using Zatanna for ramp
    What would be your buy order?
    Cheetah/Black Manta/Zatanna (depending on roll) then the other two and then Deathstroke

Purchase any basic actions?
    Maybe Monster Reborn

Biggest threat? How would you handle it?
    No idea

Question to you
    Did you draft with a plan? or was this random cards dealt out and you made the best with what you have ?

My draft plan was to get as many fist characters as I could for smash global. And villains, although I failed at getting a lot of villains.

And starter Zatanna

I always include starter cards when doing random drafts with friends. You don't have to be opening new packs to do a draft

I can understand all of that, but... Why this ONE AoU card?

I believe I have 2 Ultron cards in this 120 card draft cube. we pull 20 cards each.
    Also 4 drones, 3 Jocosta, 4 AvX beast, 3 Gambit... of the top of my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I can understand all of that, but... Why this ONE AoU card?
    are saying I should have used a different version?

Your team - I'd play this differently than most have suggested. I would buy Cheetah then Black Manta, stay as aggressive as possible fielding all sidekicks rolled. You just want to cycle through the direct damage as fast as you can. Deathstroke I might buy if I feel I need to be on the defensive, but would rarely purchase. I might buy some Cyborgs if I'm rolling bad because it's like a worse Cheetah. Maybe a Fireball if things get too stuffed up, just as a form of reach.

Opponent's team is easy to pilot. Buy Firestorms, get the red tornado to get through the big faster, then buy Green Arrow if you feel you need more removal. His draft is actually really solid and I'd feel confident in winning with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    I believe I have 2 Ultron cards in this 120 card draft cube. we pull 20 cards each.
    Also 4 drones, 3 Jocosta, 4 AvX beast, 3 Gambit... of the top of my head...
    I see...

You should probably make it clear that you're using some kind of non-standard draft format, so as to avoid such questions, in the future.

thanks for the input.

any way to pilot my team without relying so heavily on retaliation direct damage?

well we played.
    I didn't stand a chance. that aquaman fetching firestorms was brutal. I couldn't get my villains KO'd. I did hit him with retaliation a few times, but not near enough. missed on smash die twice. he used the smash global like a pro.

time to redraft.

here is the next rainbow, broken down by energy type:

Name:	20150910_214142-1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	3016

Name:	20150910_214134-1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	3017

Name:	20150910_214104-1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	3018

Name:	20150910_213928-1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	3019

Name:	20150910_213838-1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	3020
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 09-10-2015 at 11:01 PM.