Thread: Mystique - Shapeshifter

Mystique - Shapeshifter

Mystique - Shapeshifter
    6 Cost Mask
    1/1/1 0/1/1 2/1/1*
    When fielded, choose an opponent's character card. Mystique copies that card (except for purchase cost and die faces) until the next Mystique is fielded.
    *She also copies the die faces

I really want to talk about this cards possibilities with others. All I have to say to kick this off is, in the few times I tested her, the chance to copy, a jinzo, hulk, purple worm, red dragon as a 1/0/2 fielding cost became relavent very quickly.

I would love to hear ideas on how to use her most efficiently.

I've toyed around with her because she can essentially give you a team that has 15 card slots (your own non-Mystique 7 plus your opponent's 8). Even if you're copying something that isn't 6+ cost there's value in the chance of getting, say, an opponent's Wind Rider when you're carrying Weather Witch. I just haven't had occasion yet when building a team that I wouldn't rather have a specific tech card in that slot to fill a needed role than bring Mystique. Plus there's the very real chance that your opponent doesn't bring anything that's really worth copying meaning you've got a dead slot on your team.

Even in the best case where there is something amazing for you to copy, a 6 cost with no stats of it's own that relies on a when fielded effect is just begging to get negated by Constantine. Not saying it's the be all end all here, but the card is relevant enough and not always possible to remove. It's a lot of investment that can be easily countered. That said, her +1/+1 stat gain variants are really fun to use on a villains team if you want to go for straight beatdown.

Yeah Constantine does ruin her pretty easily. I guess I'll turn my sights towards a more cost efficient mystique.

Not sure if you checked out the shadowmeld's Laboratory segment on the recent The Prep Area podcast, but I discuss her there.

The thing I'd really like to point out is her synergy with Trinity War Wonder Woman and/or Polymorph.

People complain about her 1/1 stat line, but if you spin her up to her level 3 she copies the stats of her targets level 3 face. It's a really solid tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    The thing I'd really like to point out is her synergy with Trinity War Wonder Woman and/or Polymorph.

People complain about her 1/1 stat line, but if you spin her up to her level 3 she copies the stats of her targets level 3 face. It's a really solid tool.
    No she doesn't.

Her ability is "When fielded".

So she has to be fielded on level 3 to copy the target's stats.

I believe Shadowmeld was talking about the polymorph global not the action itself. I think the burst definitely works whether it is showing or not when fielded

Yes. I know what he is saying. Field her at, say, level 2, then spin her up to level 3, and she magically gains the copied die's stats.

No.

It's a "when fielded" ability.

That means her ability triggers and resolves at the time you pay her fielding cost and move her in to the field.

Subsequently spinning her up to, or down from, level 3 doesn't cause some kind of ripple in time that goes back and changes what happened.

If you field her on level 3 she copies the stats.

If you field her on levels 1 or 2 she does not copy the stats.

It is no more complicated than that.

Her ability to chose a character is her "when fielded ability" The Copy effect, and her burst, are part of a separate sentence. Similar to Constantine's Name at the beginning of turn, that also resolves while he's active.

Also, The rest of her ability is a while active, otherwise, it, like other when fielded effects, would end at the end of turn.

Similar to Loki, I make a choice, and the rest of the Loki's I have fielded are now preventing you. If I field a Mystique, the rest of my Mystique all apply their when active ability to that new choice.

Look at the Loki/Jocasta ruling. The full stop is not significant. It is all one ability and you resolve it all at once, and then it's done.

And, her ability does not end at the end of the turn because it specifies otherwise in the card text.

Yeah, if the burst ability didn't say "also" I would say she could be spun to get the die stats but "also" for me implies that it is tied to the non-burst ability, which is when fielded.