Thread: Article: The Transition Zone: Homebrewing

This really has me rethinking a couple of my teams and how they could be improved. Great article!

I'm a homebrewer for life. I love seeing the meta shape on its own and getting ideas of what cards are getting more powerful. Mostly I like to see what to plan for to beat the meta. I thank you for this article. Now back to what I was already doing...homebrewing!

Great article, as always.

If you aren't homebrewing, in my opinion, you are missing out on most of what this game has to offer. I think of Dice Masters in four parts: collecting, team designing (ie home brewing), drafting, and piloting. Designing your team is the only one out of these four that can be done without requiring the involvement of other people. Many people (including myself) play DM for the social component, but it can be limiting based on the availability of other people. I easily spend in excess of 80% of my dice masters time designing teams. And I find it to be the most intellectually challenging and fun. It's not for everyone--nothing's wrong with buying sets off eBay and netdecking to get straight to piloting--but team design is a deeply rich aspect of the game that I urge people to spend more time on if it is up their alley.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    Great article, as always.

If you aren't homebrewing, in my opinion, you are missing out on most of what this game has to offer.... Many people (including myself) play DM for the social component, but it can be limiting based on the availability of other people. I easily spend in excess of 80% of my dice masters time designing teams. And I find it to be the most intellectually challenging and fun.... I urge people to spend more time on if it is up their alley.
    I can't echo these points enough. I have found that brewing goes best for me if I'm working on something with someone else. Here's hoping that @Randy sees whatever improvement he deems necessary and I get my sounding board back. It's probably more fair than not to say he is as much a reason for whatever success I've had as I am.

Totally agree with @Jthomash2 as well. While you can build solo it's more fun and effective with others. That's one of the many reasons I hope to see more clans develop in DM. Friendly competition, motivation to do well at high level events, socializing, and brewing together. When is the TRP clan going to happen, @Dave ?

Nice! Didn't see that. I hope WizKids does something to make that a thing.

I must admit to the double take at seeing my unattributed quote above. Specifically " I can't believe I brought the tools for you to beat me.." I don't even remember why I brought the Mr. Fantastic global with my Wolverine The Best There Is, but Isaac used it to bounce him off of his Jocasta for my last 16 life. They say in Dice Masters, you are either winning or learning. I learned a lot that day.

Quote Originally Posted by jevansfp View Post
    I must admit to the double take at seeing my unattributed quote above. Specifically " I can't believe I brought the tools for you to beat me.." I don't even remember why I brought the Mr. Fantastic global with my Wolverine The Best There Is, but Isaac used it to bounce him off of his Jocasta for my last 16 life. They say in Dice Masters, you are either winning or learning. I learned a lot that day.
    Well, not just you

I bet you hear that a lot.
    I stopped bringing any globals at all for a while after that and looked with a suspicious eye at my BAC choices. Now my pendulum has swung more to Dean's way of thinking. If I bring globals, I need to be better prepared than my opponent to use them.

I would only disagree with one point. If you build at home without the use of the internet (seems crazy now days right?!) then you ar by definition a homebrewer. That's not to say that you will be coming up with crazy combos no one else knows, in fact there are enough people building in the community and trying new things that the format is basically solvable. The great thing is though thar the game is young enough still that we can find new things to bring to our local metas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    I would only disagree with one point. If you build at home without the use of the internet (seems crazy now days right?!) then you ar by definition a homebrewer. That's not to say that you will be coming up with crazy combos no one else knows, in fact there are enough people building in the community and trying new things that the format is basically solvable. The great thing is though thar the game is young enough still that we can find new things to bring to our local metas.
    In a technical sense you would be a homebrewer, but don't be surprised when you bring your kobold / stirge / Johnny Storm team and have someone ask you how you like trying out the Johnny Swarm team. Trying out new things, whether completely homebrewed or modified netdecking may lead you to that killer combo.

Great comments and discussion guys. Thanks for reading!