Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any insight yet on the WOL set's production quality?

Any insight yet on the WOL set's production quality?

Anyone know of any major errors in card numbering, rarity stripes, wrong energy symbols, etc with this set yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Oetker View Post
    Anyone know of any major errors in card numbering, rarity stripes, wrong energy symbols, etc with this set yet?
    Are you expecting something or just stirring a pot that is better left untouched? AvX, UxM, YGO, and D&D all have no issues with Stripes, Rarity or card numbering. There is nothing to suggest this set will have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    Are you expecting something or just stirring a pot that is better left untouched? AvX, UxM, YGO, and D&D all have no issues with Stripes, Rarity or card numbering. There is nothing to suggest this set will have issues.
    If you only look at the first four sets, sure. If you look at the last two, there is sound reasoning to be skeptical at the very least.

Mistakes happen. Wizkids is doing an amazing job with the assumed resources at their disposal.

That said, if anyone has identified any mistakes that have not already been cited in the DM errata, it should be brought to light. Mine was a silly tit-for-tat. However, if there is one that might affect gameplay or collecting, we should know about it and adjust accordingly.

I'm curious about the card stock and dice quality for WOL. So far D&D seems to have been so far above all the other sets in this regard. I was hoping they would go that way with all sets, but JUL and AOU seem to be more like AVX and UXM...dice quality was slightly better with those last two sets, but still far behind D&D.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    I'm curious about the card stock and dice quality for WOL. So far D&D seems to have been so far above all the other sets in this regard. I was hoping they would go that way with all sets, but JUL and AOU seem to be more like AVX and UXM...dice quality was slightly better with those last two sets, but still far behind D&D.
    Something tells me that all of the quality improvements we saw in D&D came strait from Wizards of the Coast, who own the rights to D&D. They probably said, "Sure, you can make a DM set using our licensed material... but it had to meet these standards."

Despite the higher quality of D&D cards, the heavier stock tends to make them more prone to severe warping.

Lol. I'm not trying to stir anything up. Just wondering if that after the AoU and JuL errors, WoL would be a return back to the quality we saw in the first four sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Camalott View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	3032

They spelled Vengeance wrong.
    Boo! hahaha I can't show my wife that. She's a writer - that would drive her crazy!

What's wrong with asking a question that makes perfect sense considering the most previously released set had problems?

Hell, I didn't post it, but my DnD starter had cards stuck together, ripping some of the actual art off the front/back of some of them.

And what is this proverbial pot that is better left untouched? It's a simple and valid question. Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    And what is this proverbial pot that is better left untouched? It's a simple and valid question. Jesus.
    Frankly, tired of all the Wizkids bashing already. The topic was mentioned in the last two podcasts. It was already stated twice now that there does not seem to be any issues. This expectation and worry / toil over "production quality" is tiring.

Expecting them to make mistakes is assine. 2 sets out of 6 have minor issues, although the wrong energy type on one card IS an issue. It is not in Wizkids best interests for these things to continue, short term or long term.

Frankly, tired of all the Wizkids bashing already. The topic was mentioned in the last two podcasts. It was already stated twice now that there does not seem to be any issues. This expectation and worry / toil over "production quality" is tiring.

Expecting them to make mistakes is assine. 2 sets out of 6 have minor issues, although the wrong energy type on one card IS an issue. It is not in Wizkids best interests for these things to continue, short term or long term.
    Wizkids do make a small number of mistakes. It can be a problem in the future with new expansions being released.

First of all, to be asinine myself, if you're going to try and use "SAT words," spell them correctly. There's a spell check literally built into everything. But that's not even the point. Except it also is...

Quote Originally Posted by Camalott View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	3032

They spelled Vengeance wrong.
    This alone is weak-sauce (to be light about it). War and Peace's LOWEST word count version has over 560,000 words. None of which are misspelled. It can't be that hard, before pushing the final "send to printer" button, to have a couple people each go through the list/pictures of cards and their text, ESPECIALLY considering that everything as a spell-check, and let's say they're using a graphical editing program... someone should still be going through, card by card, (there really aren't that many cards, AND the average word count per card, including card name/sub-name, and text is about 8).

I used to work at this exact position for a small company that made ESL books. I would have had my paycheck taken back if I'd allowed that to be released, and while I was nowhere near editing War and Peace, there were a lot more words than add up from every word on every card in a set, and they weren't presented to me in such an easy to interface with graphical context.

Yes, people have every right to be upset. Spelling and grammar are important parts of writing and language, and to continue to allow misspelling "vengeance" or some-such is just insane to me. I'm not sure how people still have jobs, or if they're actually hiring and firing someone after every set with these problems, and the new employee(s) just aren't being able to settle into their job.

That's obviously speculation but how much longer, literally, how many more years, until this ceases to be something people wonder about? I'm honestly wondering that.

The only way people will stop wondering that is after a couple of sets without any issues.

And look, I love this game, I'm going to play/judge in a little, I love the products that Wizkids makes (I've spent more on HeroClix and Dice Masters than Snoop has on flowers in the past few years), but as a customer who's pre-ordered a case of every HeroClix/Dice Masters set except for less than five over the past five years, I have a right to call out quality control issues.

I have a right to call out quality control issues.
    Maybe you do have a right to call out quality control issues. Is this seriously the correct place to do so? Or even the manner in which the issue is addressed? Wizkids has a mechanism in which to bring these types of issues to their attention.

Maybe you do have a right to call out quality control issues. Is this seriously the correct place to do so? Or even the manner in which the issue is addressed? Wizkids has a mechanism in which to bring these types of issues to their attention.
    I think this is a pretty good forum for this question, especially given how innocent it was. I don't see WizKids volunteering the errors they made, so why not here? He may have just asked for humor's sake, I still get a kick out of "Expectionally."

Its in general questions and a Dice Masters question. Where else would this be placed? Off Topic?

The only problem with this topic in the grander sense is tone. The problem that I have with it personally is that I'd much rather we talk about the game itself.

If the tone continues, the thread is locked, further action may be taken.

If the tone softens and this becomes a productive conversation, then fine.

Criticism is fine with the requirement that it must be constructive.

----

Regardless, other than the subtitle noted above, I've not noticed any glaring issues with the starter or the cards that I have.

While perfection is great, I can live with one misspelled subtitle per set.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    While perfection is great, I can live with one misspelled subtitle per set.
    Would be nice if that was all there is, but the inconsistent substitution of the phrase "pay 1 energy" with "use 1 energy is a pretty substantial issue, especially when one such use was corrected in an errata that was issued for a card that would have broken the game (there are already plenty of threads with people discussing/debating over the intent of properly phrased game mechanics) is another. 3 sets in a row is a pattern, and these sets were all released after they said they were aiming to make things better (well, one will be released this week). Is getting the rarity stripes and card numbering correct better? Sure, but it's also not something that should be applauded - it's simply not something that should ever have been an issue in the first place.

So now we look to set 8 and hope that somewhere along the line they hired someone who actually cares about their job enough to do it right so we can go back to complaining about the rules forum!

Quote Originally Posted by IgwanaRob View Post
    Would be nice if that was all there is, but the inconsistent substitution of the phrase "pay 1 energy" with "use 1 energy is a pretty substantial issue, especially when one such use was corrected in an errata that was issued for a card that would have broken the game (there are already plenty of threads with people discussing/debating over the intent of properly phrased game mechanics) is another. 3 sets in a row is a pattern, and these sets were all released after they said they were aiming to make things better (well, one will be released this week). Is getting the rarity stripes and card numbering correct better? Sure, but it's also not something that should be applauded - it's simply not something that should ever have been an issue in the first place.

So now we look to set 8 and hope that somewhere along the line they hired someone who actually cares about their job enough to do it right so we can go back to complaining about the rules forum!
    I honestly have three theories, knowing that for Wizkids, this can't be easy in any way.

One is that the final editor got the job through some form of nepotism, and it's hard to get rid of he or she, the other is that after each set, they fire the last editor and hire a new one, so nobody gets a good chance to be comfortable.

Lastly, if they really only have 10 employees, the designers could very easily be the same people responsible for editing. After looking at something over and over and over again, it's easy for it to seem normal - especially if the text is done in a graphical program without a spell-check enabled.

Still, I don't think they'd have a hard time finding an intern to work for free as a final-editor, just as something to put on their resume. I would do it happily.

The other main issue I would see with a spell-checker is that there are a TON of names and other proper nouns, that a spell-checker wouldn't easily find. Maybe Vengence is the name of the planet that Atrocitus is from? I don't know (though I doubt it), but the intern looking through the stuff might not either.

And maybe they just wanted to make a joke about Cyborg's pecs. Who knows?

Still, I don't think they'd have a hard time finding an intern to work for free as a final-editor, just as something to put on their resume. I would do it happily.
    I feel like the community is fairly underutilized for this sort of thing, and others. Especially considering there are some people that already have a foot slightly in the door that would be willing to contribute, and others that previously have to some degree or another.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Maybe Vengence is the name of the planet that Atrocitus is from? I don't know (though I doubt it), but the intern looking through the stuff might not either.
    Ryut.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    I feel like the community is fairly underutilized for this sort of thing, and others. Especially considering there are some people that already have a foot slightly in the door that would be willing to contribute, and others that previously have to some degree or another.
    I'm sure a few people would gladly sign NDAs to help proof-read the easily over-looked spelling errors, and beta test abilities to prevent the need for card changing rulings like Jocasta, as well as fixing things like Parallax's Global.