Thread: INFINITE BURN!

INFINITE BURN!

I played my team INFINITE BURN! to a 7-1 record (2nd place) at the Midwest Dice Masters Open. You can read the full tournament report here.

Name:  aou127.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  55.5 KB Name:  auo133.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  61.2 KB

Here's how it works:

Turn 1: Purchase SHIELD Agent. Save or to prep 3 dice.

Turn 2: Purchase another SHIELD Agent or a Wasp. If I roll a sidekick, field it. Save at least for PXG. When I can I will ramp leaving only 3 dice to draw next turn and take 1 burn to gain a generic energy.

Turn 3: Roll for s, s and a . Sidekicks are OK provided I get enough energy to do what I need. I aim for the face on my character dice. Purchase Manticore. Use Resurrection to prep it. Make sure I can PXG 4 times. If I have enough energy left over, purchase another SHIELD Agent.

Turn 4: Get Manticore to show up on a character face and field it. Try to get the other character dice on a or face. I want my sidekick dice to come up on , , or pawn faces. Ensure that there's enough energy to PXG all but one sidekick dice out of the Used Pile on my opponent's turn. Sidekicks in the bag or Used Pile are bad. Purchase one or two more SHIELD Agents. DO NOT field any SHIELD Agent or Wasp dice that have come up character faces. Send them to the Used Pile instead. Bank as much energy as I can. It's almost time to go infinite!

Opponent's Turn 4: During the Main Step, when the opponent passes priority, use PXG to get all but one sidekick die out of the Used Pile. Pay , hopefully using the energy from a character die, to activate Pyro's global. My bag should be empty so I'll refill it with the 1 sidekick and all character dice in the Used Pile. I get to keep any s I roll to power the Pyro engine. Use Pyro again and again, paying with s from the character dice. Every time I roll I deal 2 damage to my opponent. With no Transition Zone on the opponent's turn, the energy I pay for Pyro's global goes to the Used Pile, making it available on later activations to refill my bag with those character dice and continue the cycle. I can do this infinitely, or until I've deal 20 damage to my opponent.

Doomcaliber Knight is here to counter Prismatic Spray. That action single handedly shuts down the combo by removing Manticore's ability on the opponent's turn, when I need to use it to go infinite.

Jade Giant is here to counter Green Goliath and Jinzo. Those 2 are both a real pain because they stop the combo from working.

Tsarina is here, along with Jade Giant, as an alternate win condition in the event that the combo is shut down. She also seemed to be a big distraction. My opponent's saw her an assumed she was a major part of my game plan, not realizing she was secondary to something much more dangerous.

Those 3 spots are flexible as long as they help overcome the cards that the main strategy. Is there anything else that can go in those spots that might help against the cards below?

Name:  aou53.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  61.8 KB

Congrats on second. IA represent.

Having a Prismatic Spray of your own helps deal with 3 of those. Interestingly Z-Mags misses every one of those cards.

Not sure if there is a ruling on it, but can Storm's global attach an equipment to a character that can't otherwise be equipped? If so you could run Storm + Magic Helm, buy 2 helms, a Pyro, and a Manticore and equip those characters to get around Spray. It's super convoluted and probably not worth doing though. You could also go Namor + Storm + Helmet, equip Namor so they can't attack without cancelling their own Prismatic Spray allowing you to combo after blockers are declared.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    Congrats on second. IA represent.
    TY. There were 2 groups from Iowa there. I believe one of the gentlemen from the other group got 3rd. I think it was @EJayDM ?

Having a Prismatic Spray of your own helps deal with 3 of those. Interestingly Z-Mags misses every one of those cards.
    I need to address those 3 on my opponent's turn. I thought I had to use Prismatic Spray on my turn?

True, I guess Prismatic Spray does actual nothing. The only answer I can think of is Storm global + Magic Helm, which also requires a person you could equip the helm too. Dedicating 3 spots, 3 purchases, and 2 mask energy that would be better spent on ramping to get around 1 card doesn't seem worth it. Doomcaliber Knight is the best possible answer, I guess.

You could cut Wasp for Slifer to ping your Hulk with, cut Doomcaliber Knight for Jinzo and become a generic good-control build that wins via combo so you don't have to worry about pushing through during combat. That might be getting too far away from the initial idea though.

Great minds think alike! I made a team that uses similar effects for this week's TPA. It isnt using the infinite damage combo, but mand so I like that.

I love what you did here, congrats. This is a much cleaner version than what I smashed together.

Reddit: the great untapped DM resource. This combo was posted last week after it did well at PAX a few weeks ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dicemasters/comments/3k3z5n/team_my_pax_prime_3rd_place_team_fyi/

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    Reddit: the great untapped DM resource. This combo was posted last week after it did well at PAX a few weeks ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dicemasters...lace_team_fyi/
    I know all about that one lol, someone broguht that list to my locals last thursday and took first place with it. When the combo get's going, it's almost unstoppable. Exposed a flaw in my super stirge showdown team, which I was thankful for because I was able to fix it.

I remember making a team based on that Manticore and Pyro. I didnt use it because how slow it was and the lack of other 2 bolt characters

Damn.

This is a team idea I've been meaning to revisit now that we have better 2-cost bolt options.

Wish I had done it sooner, so that i couldn't be accused of net-decking.

:-/

Might have been my second deck. I started when DnD came out. I was using Phoenix - Redd with it.

AoU common Loki - just blank before or after attacks are declared.
    Jade Giant - ping Hulk and KO Deadpool at the end of the opponent's main step.

Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    Uh...wait. I would not have a out-of-play zone on my opponent's turn? Can I get a link for that? or is it in the rulebook and I just never realised.
    It's in the rule book.

AoU Rule Book page 6:
    Out of Play: Nothing can happen to dice here. Energy spent during your turn goes here, so do Action Dice you use during your turn or unblocked characters.

Used Pile: Dice here have been used up. At the end of your turn, all dice Out of Play are moved here. When you spend energy during your opponent’s turn, it goes directly here. Dice here are returned to your bag when you would try to draw a die but cannot.
    (emphasis mine)

Thanks for the thoughts, feedback, questions and suggestions!

I'm sure there are dozens of people who saw the Manticore + Pyro global potential when D&D was released. I attempted it back then but with the 2 cost bolt characters available at the time it (and possibly my own lack of tuning) it just wasn't that good. When I saw SHIELD Agent and Pepper Pots in AoU this is the first team I revisited. Pepper didn't last long on the team though as I don't really see the need for multiple 2 cost bolt characters.

@Scum - the Helmet + Storm combo is probably too cumbersome to be effective, but an interesting idea. Have we really never gotten an official ruling on that?

@Indy Mon - thanks for pointing me to the Reddit post. I don't read most of what's posted there so I'd missed that. I really like the use of Vibranium Shield. I'm not sure yet if I want to incorporate it but it is very clever. He also mentioned the problem of Ring of Magnetism. I guess if that's on Lord of D. it's no combo for me that game. I hadn't even considered that...

I've considered Millennium Puzzle but I'm concerned about only being able to take care of one character per turn. If they get 2 Jinzo, or 2 Hulk, etc. it doesn't solve the problem. That's why I chose Jade Giant.

Common Constantine is a cheap option against action dice. At 50/50 he's probably not reliable enough.
    Last edited by Gabe; 09-14-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Not sure if there is a ruling on it, but can Storm's global attach an equipment to a character that can't otherwise be equipped?
    I asked at Worlds about the discussion we had on the forums here awhile back, whether Storm can redirect

to an opponent's character. You can't. I assume the same holds true for moving equipment to a non-equippable character.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    I asked at Worlds about the discussion we had on the forums here awhile back, whether Storm can redirect to an opponent's character. You can't. I assume the same holds true for moving equipment to a non-equippable character.
    Just to be sure I understand you correctly, the ruling you received is that Storm cannot move a die like Ring of Magnetism from my character die to your character die?

Ring of Magnetism could be moved because it doesn't specify "your character" or "your opponent's character." Cap's Protection explicitly states "place on your target character" and cannot be redirected to an opposing character.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    Ring of Magnetism could be moved because it doesn't specify "your character" or "your opponent's character." Cap's Protection explicitly states "place on your target character" and cannot be redirected to an opposing character.
    Thank you. That makes sense.