Thread: Nova - Human rocket - several blockers

Nova - Human rocket - several blockers

Hello, I attack with Nova - Human rocket ( Whenever Nova takes damage in an attack step, he deals 2 damage to your opponent.), my opponent blocks with 4 character to ko him at the end of turn, the question is : How many times nova hability is triggered? i understand that with 4 blockers would be 4 times, because nova its damaged 4 times, but rules said that all damage its made at once.
    Can you clarify this, please?

Ah, there is some debate (usually started by me) over this.

Most people read the part in the rules about combat damage being "simultaneous" as meaning that it is all treated as a single instance of damage, but I argue that "simultaneous" could just mean "at the same time", rather than "as a single event".

Rather than rehash this debate again here, I will just say:

There is evidence to support both points of view, and, questions have been asked on the WizKids forum, but no clear, unambiguous, answer has been forthcoming.

So, I am afraid you will need to decide between yourself and the people you play against how this should play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    hahaha. awesome! made me laugh!

but yeah, good answer.

The more relevant reference to this question was in previous rulebooks (AvX):

"If two or more characters block a single character, add their attack values together."

This would imply the damage from multiple blockers is treated as one application. So, for the Nova situation, he would receive the total damage from all his blockers, not 4 applications of damage from each of the 4 blocking dice, triggering his ability only once.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post

Most people read the part in the rules about combat damage being "simultaneous" as meaning that it is all treated as a single instance of damage, but I argue that "simultaneous" could just mean "at the same time", rather than "as a single event".

Rather than rehash this debate again here, I will just say:

There is evidence to support both points of view, and, questions have been asked on the WizKids forum, but no clear, unambiguous, answer has been forthcoming.

So, I am afraid you will need to decide between yourself and the people you play against how this should play out.
    This. 100% this.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    This. 100% this.
    My major issue with all this is that none of it is new. Decide and notify already. Post it. And let us move on. The issue doesn't have to be complicated or convoluted as it is now. Pick an order of operations. Let us all know how it works. Issue errata as needed. Maybe everyone won't be happy (rarely are we all happy at once anyway), but we will all have the same foundation from which to move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    My major issue with all this is that none of it is new. Decide and notify already. Post it. And let us move on. The issue doesn't have to be complicated or convoluted as it is now. Pick an order of operations. Let us all know how it works. Issue errata as needed. Maybe everyone won't be happy (rarely are we all happy at once anyway), but we will all have the same foundation from which to move forward.
    Agreed. I don't care what the outcome is. I just want to know how to play the game correctly.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Personally, I would love for every instance of damage to be unique. That's the way I naturally think of it. But I'd rather have an answer that is final than wait or fight/argue for it to get my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    Personally, I would love for every instance of damage to be unique. That's the way I naturally think of it. But I'd rather have an answer that is final than wait or fight/argue for it to get my way.
    Agreed. If we are trying to make the game thematic, it should be seperate.

If Beast, Psylocke and Cyclops were each fighting Magneto at the same time, Magneto would end up with some scratched claw marks from Beast, a massive headache from Psylocke, and the wind knocked out of him from Cyclops concusive eye blasts...am I right?

My interpretation itīs similar to yours, "at once" for me itīs a rule that said that all damage its at the same time, but the question its about sources of damage, i believe that in this situation there are several sources of damage, but as you said i hope in the next future wizkids makes a good faq, because if they donīt many people leave the game, and i believe if they realease one set every 2 month, no clarifications, rise the prize, this would be sure, and a good game will die another time because the owner donīt look after of it. (my english itīs bad i know, i hoper all of you understand)

See you in the next question!!!