Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sample team types

Quote Originally Posted by s00pahFr0g View Post
    Hey guys new player here. I'm fairly familiar with the different deck types in other card games. I've read that dice masters has these too. I'm talking about aggro, ramp, control, burn, etc. Can anyone point me to a basic example of each of the archetypes in dice masters? I'm trying to get more of a feel for how these translate to dice masters. Your help is much appreciated!
    Not too sure about aggro. I would consider that this combination is aggro

Ramp is considered pulling more dice out of your bag or applying dice to your prep. Couple of examples as so
    (pay a shield, prep one die) (One character on the field, if you pull another kobold out your bag, draw one more die. By chance you pull a second kobold you repeat it again)
    The strongest form of ramp in the game. You will see this card everywhere in constructed tournaments (pay a mask, prep 2 sidekicks for next turn. Typically used on your opponents turn)

Control would be considered having the advantage over the field. Either breaking something or neutralizing certain effects and cards. My favorite form of control card is and an old favorite when I started now replaced with Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wasp-Founding-Avenger.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	3079. Control is having the momentum and stuffing your opponents options. There are a good amount of options in this for controlling the playing field. Such as

This guy is just pressure sitting on the field. If there's a wall, he gives no (excrement). Typically used with

There's spot removal

90% of the time the character will die. That's if you can stop him before he attacks. (See above, that guy can certainly stuff him. That's if you have the right energy)

The combo with this character is usually using this card Pay a bolt, knock out Grundy, safely knock out desired character off the field.

Have this thing out waiting to strike, during the main phase/attack phase after blockers are assigned, sink it on something you do not want to deal with.

Now burn is very straight forward. You burn the life off your opponent. My favorite burn when I started again was this fellow
    They pay globals, I tax them.
    New favorite for burning down the opponent is

Other examples of burn are

There's also churning. Meaning going through your bag to get the desired dice you want. Perfect example is

other questions, just reply

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    Not too sure about aggro. I would consider that this combination is aggro
    That is so not aggro it hurts.

Tsarina:

that is aggro!

Also, Jinzo/Wasp and Hulk really are not control. The elements of control they provide are byproducts of what they do.

@s00pahFr0g , the nature of Dice Masters is such that the vast majority of competitive teams are, by necessity, mid-range. This is because all game state information in Dice Masters is open, so you always know precisely what your opponent can and cannot do. This means it is much much easier to see who is control and who is aggro in the game, and how the balance of those two changes and flows throughout the game, than it is in a game such as Magic, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post

Tsarina:

that is aggro!

Also, Jinzo/Wasp and Hulk really are not control. The elements of control they provide are byproducts of what they do.

@s00pahFr0g , the nature of Dice Masters is such that the vast majority of competitive teams are, by necessity, mid-range. This is because all game state information in Dice Masters is open, so you always know precisely what your opponent can and cannot do. This means it is much much easier to see who is control and who is aggro in the game, and how the balance of those two changes and flows throughout the game, than it is in a game such as Magic, for instance.
    Yea from my limited experience it seems that lategame oriented builds tend to struggle because the powerful high cost cards are difficult to play and not impactful enough when they hit the field. On the other hand, aggro builds seem like they'd be too easily blocked by sidekick dice.

Tsarina:

that is aggro!

I'm not sure what aggro meant in Dice Masters.

When it comes to other games it technically means pulling off all the threat. Such as tanks in RPG's. That's where I based it off when I used to play World of Warcraft

Tsarina:

that is aggro!

I would argue that they are control. Hulk does add pressure when on the field and just wiping your board. Added with Jinzo/Wasp limiting your options with ramp and other global means.

That is control. A means of limiting or regulating something hence "Limiting or killing your options".
    Last edited by VastSpartan; 09-15-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Yea from my limited experience it seems that lategame oriented builds tend to struggle because the powerful high cost cards are difficult to play and not impactful enough when they hit the field. On the other hand, aggro builds seem like they'd be too easily blocked by sidekick dice.
    Really depends on what high cost card you use.

Really depends on what high cost card you use.

I'm not sure what aggro meant in Dice Masters.

When it comes to other games it technically means pulling off all the threat. Such as tanks in RPG's. That's where I based it off when I used to play World of Warcraft
    In games like Dice Masters, the reference point is Magic: The Gathering.

Here's what Wikipedia says about the Aggro archetype in Magic:

Aggro
    Aggro (short for "aggressive") decks attempt to reduce their opponents from 20 life to 0 life as quickly as possible, rather than emphasize a long-term game plan. Aggro decks focus on converting their cards into damage; they prefer to engage in a tempo-based race rather than a card advantage-based attrition war. Aggro generally relies upon creatures as a cumulative source of damage. Aggro decks can quickly overwhelm unprepared opponents and proceed to eke out the last bit of damage they need to end the game. Aggro decks also generally have access to disruptive elements, which can inhibit the opponent's attempts to respond.
    Lord of D / Ring of Magnetism does nothing to reduce your opponent's life to zero.

In games like Dice Masters, the reference point is Magic: The Gathering.

Here's what Wikipedia says about the Aggro archetype in Magic:

Lord of D / Ring of Magnetism does nothing to reduce your opponent's life to zero.
    Like I said, I based it off World of Warcraft. Taking the damage and pulling it off the DPS Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10471559-Puzzled-man-at-computer-shrugs-shoulders-and-expresses-lack-of-knowledge-Stock-Photo.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	3095 Cant blame for trying

I would argue that they are control. Hulk does add pressure when on the field and just wiping your board. Added with Jinzo/Wasp limiting your options with ramp and other global means.

That is control. A means of limiting or regulating something hence "Limiting or killing your options".
    As I said, they can be used for control, but the elements of control they provide are byproducts of what they do.

Taxing (Jinzo/Wasp) and Board Clear (Hulk) are aggro strategies, their primary use is to inflict maximum damage to the opponent in minimal time. That they have control effects as well is a byproduct.

By the way, thanks for all the effort you put into your first reply. It was helpful to see all of that. Do you think you could show much a high cost card with an impact big enough to make it worth working towards?
    I can show you the one's I use

Added with Millennium Puzzle, remove two big defense characters, breath weapon the board, plus this guy forcing one not to block can be pretty devastating.

You attack, choose someone to KO, do damage based off their level AND it has overcrush? That is devastating. The Fielding cost helps very much too.

You attack, if there arent enough blockers to knock him out you do full damage based on his attack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	3096 Unblockable and beefy stats. Pretty nice imo

Using an action based team, currently making a team around it. You can just let him sit on the field and roll action dice. Breath weapon 3 is also a nice touch.

As I said, they can be used for control, but the elements of control they provide are byproducts of what they do.

Taxing (Jinzo/Wasp) and Board Clear (Hulk) are aggro strategies, their primary use is to inflict maximum damage to the opponent in minimal time. That they have control effects as well is a byproduct.
    So you're saying we're both right?
    Last edited by VastSpartan; 09-15-2015 at 07:04 PM.

So you're saying we're both right?
    Not exactly, no.

It's like politics - a politician can have some right-leaning tendencies but still be left-wing.

Control and aggro are not binary concepts - very few cards are pure aggro, or pure control - take Tsarina for instance - the ability to force your opponent to spin down their characters is a form of control, but Tsarina is an aggro character.

So, all cards sit somewhere on this spectrum between pure aggro and pure control, and I will say this - Jinzo and Wasp are very close to the center of that spectrum - but, in my opinion (and, yes, it is just an opinion), they are on the aggro side of the divide.

Not exactly, no.

It's like politics - a politician can have some right-leaning tendencies but still be left-wing.

Control and aggro are not binary concepts - very few cards are pure aggro, or pure control - take Tsarina for instance - the ability to force your opponent to spin down their characters is a form of control, but Tsarina is an aggro character.

So, all cards sit somewhere on this spectrum between pure aggro and pure control, and I will say this - Jinzo and Wasp are very close to the center of that spectrum - but, in my opinion (and, yes, it is just an opinion), they are on the aggro side of the divide.
    Can we agree to disagree that Jinzo and Wasp are forms of Aggro and control? While Black Widow - Tsarina is pure aggro?

Not exactly, no.

I really don't see how Jinzo and Wasp lean more towards aggro. Aggro builds want to field low cost high damage characters and remove specific cards/die that create problems for their strategy. Forcing opponents to pay to do actions is not an aspect of aggro. Wasp probably fits okay in that role due to her lower cost but Jinzo seems too expensive to fit well in an aggro deck.

I'm stepping out of the way of that last reply.
    @Scorpion0x17 'Pats back' All yours buddy

Can we agree to disagree that Jinzo and Wasp are forms of Aggro and control? While Black Widow - Tsarina is pure aggro?
    I will agree that Jinzo and Wasp can be used in a control role.

Tsarina is not pure aggro though.

The thing that people seem to be missing is that Dice Masters is a game that ends by turn 7 most of the time. In Magic an aggro deck wins by turn 5-ish, a control deck can drag the game out. It's an odd comparison. Keep in mind Dice Masters is a game with a few ways to kill on turn 3, which is pretty aggressive - but the reason it can even exist is because of ramp - a game mechanic that isn't associated with aggro in most games. In that sense most Dice Masters control builds are more like mid-range builds. Because everything effectively has "haste" something like Hulk acts as both aggro and control - all big controlly guys do. The closest thing I can think to compare it to is Hulk is like playing a 1 sided Wrath of God + Thundermaw Hellkite in the same turn.

I really don't see how Jinzo and Wasp lean more towards aggro. Aggro builds want to field low cost high damage characters and remove specific cards/die that create problems for their strategy. Forcing opponents to pay to do actions is not an aspect of aggro. Wasp probably fits okay in that role due to her lower cost but Jinzo seems too expensive to fit well in an aggro deck.
    Two points:

1. Jinzo is a 5-cost. 5-costs can be bought turn 2 or 3, with the appropriate ramp mechanisms.

2. What you are talking about is weenie rush. But, aggro encompasses many things, not just weenie rush. Taxing is a form of direct damage (aka burn). Burn is one of the things that aggro encompasses. Ergo Jinzo and Wasp are aggro characters.

Two points:

1. Jinzo is a 5-cost. 5-costs can be bought turn 2 or 3, with the appropriate ramp mechanisms.

2. What you are talking about is weenie rush. But, aggro encompasses many things, not just weenie rush. Taxing is a form of direct damage (aka burn). Burn is one of the things that aggro encompasses. Ergo Jinzo and Wasp are aggro characters.
    5 to 6 cost

Two points:

No most aggro builds in other games use low cost but efficient creatures/die and spell/action cards. A low curve and good tempo are also important. Zoo floods the board. I definitely agree that Wasp fits somewhere in the middle of the spectrum more towards aggro. However, given the speed of the game, I don't think an aggro team wants to spend 5-6 resources on a die that mainly to sits on your field and lets your opponent decide if they want to take the damage. The very existence of a card like PXG though completely screws with comparing dice masters to other card games. PXG makes the game play entirely different. The first time I played a game where someone was using him I was completely shocked at how much the game changed.

To me taxing is generally a form of control however because those cards tax health it makes them usable by aggro builds looking to win as fast as possible.