Thread: Midwest Dicemasters Open - 1st Place team and thoughts.

Midwest Dicemasters Open - 1st Place team and thoughts.

Most have already seen my winning team. If not, here is a link that shows. http://www.thereservepool.com/thread...tember-12-2015 I heard someone mention it being a lot like Dean's build from Worlds, and while we shared 4 cards, the builds play completely different, IMHO.

The build is supposed to lock out the opponent and punish them for anything they try to do. I have been tweaking a form of it for a few months. My version before this one had Captain America Super Soldier and Magic Missile. I would use MM in tandem with Vulnerability for another targeted kill. Cap was for Gobby and Jocasta builds. The one thing that always has bothered me with the build, is there would be games I could win, but it was a little slow sometimes. I needed some type of damage I could create on my own. I was ALSO very afraid of the newer speed kill builds utilizing Infiltrate and the like. I came to the conclusion that Constantine could still stand in as my control for Gobby and that I could use some of my targeted kill to deal with Jocasta if an opponent was dedicated to going that route. Once I got over feeling like I needed Cap, I looked for the piece that made the most sense to fill one of my voids. It had to be someone that could generate some damage for me. I settled on Johnny Storm for two reasons. He is still an awesome card and it opened up an action slot for me. He could do what MM used to do for my Vulnerability. I settled on Transfer Power as my answer to the high damage attack builds. Now, transfer power is not as good as storm at dealing with some of the threats, but I did not know where I could put her in my build. In the end, I guess I made the right decision.

So, now, how does the build play out. Looking at it on the surface, while it looks annoying, it does not look like it can win. Reason one why I like this build. Reason 2 I think my brother best described. It forces you to have to play your opponent instead of the build just playing itself. In other words, it makes you pay attention to your opponent and react accordingly. The first turn buy is ideally Constantine (although, Wasp is not that bad either). Once past turn 1, it really depends on you figuring out what piece is your opponent's win condition and eliminating it. While at the same time taking away their ability to cycle or do actions. In the end, you want them to take just enough damage and then counter. In a way it might be called a "rope-a-dope" build. There is force within it, but most do not notice. Jinzo and Grundy have solid stats. Torch, Wasp and Constantine can all pitch in. It clears just enough usually to make the build able to get over the top at that opportune moment.

In the end, its not a build for the faint of heart. It is not easy to play and you have to enjoy being on the razors edge in a lot of games. One thing I promise. Your friends and family will kinda hate it!

Sorry this was so rambly and has no match reports. I am not so good at all that. I am open to any questions about the build.
    Last edited by Isawa_mo; 09-15-2015 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.

Paul, thanks for sharing your team and the thought process behind it!

I sincerely apologize if it came across that your team was "net decked" or "unoriginal" or anything along those lines when I mentioned that it is similar to Dean's team from Worlds. They are both what I consider to be control builds, use some of the same components (as any good control team right now should) and both require an extremely skilled player who is able to play the opponent with an expertise that many people don't possess. I hope that my comment did not come across as a slight in any way, but if it did, that you can forgive me.

Major props to you for an excellent build that you've clearly worked very hard to perfect!

Prior to the tournament I had not seen Vulnerability used much. I ran into at least two players (including you) who were running it. The other might have been your son who I believe also had Magic Missile. I like that you don't need MM because you have Wasp. In what match ups are you using this basic action effectively? Do you find that it's needed in addition to Millennium Puzzle?

Oh. No I did not mean I was upset or anything. I just did not want folks to think it plays out like his build at all if they wanted to try it. It's a much more passive build is all I meant. No offense taken. I certainly did get the Solomon Grundy from there.

I actually use Vulnerabilty quite a bit. It has a couple advantages in my build. I can purchase it for 3 w/out Blue Eyes or 1 with. That makes it less of a cost investment than Grundy sometimes with a similar reward. I like the extra die it gives too.

Paul I'd have to say that when you knocked me out in the top 8 at the Midwest Open this team left an impression on me and with some cards from this new set it has spawned a monster. The guys at my FLGS aren't the biggest fans of it but it is so much fun to play. I hope I get an opportunity in the future to play you again. Maybe even with this team I'm working on. I think if you played against it you might get a kick out of it. Assuming you don't have something similar already. I don't want to give too much away though because I would like to come up to KC some time soon and play some of you guys with it. Once again I'm glad you won MiDMO and good luck with your future events. Thought you might like to know that playing you has affected the meta in Sedalia.

Quote Originally Posted by SneakySpatula View Post
    Paul I'd have to say that when you knocked me out in the top 8 at the Midwest Open this team left an impression on me and with some cards from this new set it has spawned a monster. The guys at my FLGS aren't the biggest fans of it but it is so much fun to play. I hope I get an opportunity in the future to play you again. Maybe even with this team I'm working on. I think if you played against it you might get a kick out of it. Assuming you don't have something similar already. I don't want to give too much away though because I would like to come up to KC some time soon and play some of you guys with it. Once again I'm glad you won MiDMO and good luck with your future events. Thought you might like to know that playing you has affected the meta in Sedalia.
    Oddly enough, I am going to probably be building up somewhat from scratch I do like that build a lot and with the new stuff, it should just get better. I will probably continue to have certain elements of that build in my builds as I always like to have some form of removal and control in my builds. Seeing some really fun new and creative stuff being done on the TRP videos and some have given me a few ideas Glad to hear the trip up has helped to liven the meta that way. I would like to get down to Sedalia at some point too. We will see, maybe some of us will find time to make it down that way some weekend!