Thread: Article: Super Rares: The Other Four

You hit the nail on the head about combos for SR Lantern Battery. It stood out to me after I opened everything I had up, and those pairs jumped to mind. I thought I was excited to do some stuff with the Black Lanters, but man this is putting those on the back burner.

I have too many issues with the wording of the Lantern Battery:
    - Is it one life per character or character die? As it is written it seems like a character, but then do you have to pay for Sidekicks?
    - Do you pay for blocking characters or blocked characters (or, unlikely, both)?
    - How can you have an action die in the Field Zone? (I guess this due to a special conduit or continuous rule).
    - Why is "Dice" randomly capitalized?
    Last edited by nutki; 09-16-2015 at 06:23 AM.

Oops
    Last edited by Meatman; 09-16-2015 at 06:54 AM. Reason: duplicate comment

- per die
    - to block = to assign a die to block
    - Continuous, just like Cerebro, Loki's Sceptre, D&D equipment.
    - has no relevance

Just my take on the card

yeah, let's not get too nitpicky on the poor card. it never did anything to you!

The lantern battery seems like the best of the bunch. Starfire could be fun to, with the right team. Parralax isn't too bad but there are better cards in constructed to buy actions with.

Quote Originally Posted by ONEone78 View Post
    yeah, let's not get too nitpicky on the poor card. it never did anything to you!
    ...yet. ☺

You can always choose not to "pay" a cost. If the Battery said "take damage for each character that blocks", for e block combos would work, but paying life is an option, always.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    You can always choose not to "pay" a cost. If the Battery said "take damage for each character that blocks", for e block combos would work, but paying life is an option, always.
    So are you saying that even if you force block a character they don't have to pay the 1 life? That would seem broken, in the opposite direction of the usual definition...... And take a lot of the fun out of it. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by TheConductr View Post
    So are you saying that even if you force block a character they don't have to pay the 1 life? That would seem broken, in the opposite direction of the usual definition...... And take a lot of the fun out of it. Ugh.
    Think of it this way... change the wording on Lantern Battery to:

Continuous: While active, your opponent's characters cannot block, unless they pay 1 life per blocking character (no matter how many Lantern Battery dice you have in the Field Zone).

You can argue that this is not the intent of the card, but if it is, then force block effects would not force the opponent to pay life.

In the same way, that Captain Cold forces your opponent to pay 1 energy to attack, you can't force them to attack.

Remember, can't beats can, and this situation is effectively, you cant block unless you pay 1 per character.

Of course we also need clarification if it's paying per blocking character or per attacking character...

Quote Originally Posted by TheConductr View Post

You can never force your opponent to pay for a cost that they have an option, even if it means you force block them and have this out.

The ruling for that is here and it's probably one of the oldest rulings.

You can't force a player to pay a cost to be able to accomplish an action. If the player doesn't want to pay the life to attack with the character, they do not have to and the character then is unable to attack so ignores the forced attack ability.

When a card makes a character/die/player do something, if that character/die/player cannot do that thing, the can't overrides the can. Cable can't force the X-23 that can't block to be able to block for example. Mr. Fantastic or Phoenix couldn't force a character with the text, "This character can't attack," to attack.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team
    http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...hp?f=10&t=1647

Quote Originally Posted by Scenttii View Post
    You can never force your opponent to pay for a cost that they have an option, even if it means you force block them and have this out.

The ruling for that is here and it's probably one of the oldest rulings.

http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...hp?f=10&t=1647
    Interesting, my local game store fellow told me that basic card text is superceded by cards and effects you pay for. Is that not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffincredible View Post
    Interesting, my local game store fellow told me that basic card text is superseded by cards and effects you pay for. Is that not the case?
    The issue here is, unlike most situations, you always get to choose whether or not to pay something. Even if a game effect says you must do something, if another effect says you must also Pay to do that thing, you can choose NOT to pay.

The way it breaks down is this:

Rule 1) "Can't > Must."
    Premise 1) You can pay to say character "Must block"
    Premise 2) Your opponent "Must pay" if he blocks"
    Rule 2) Payment is always a choice, and you can always choose either option, even if one of those options creates no effect.
    Premise 3) Not paying means you "can't"
    Premise 4) "Can't Block" > "Must Block"
    Conlusion: If you force an effect, that can be prevented by not paying a cost, that effect can be prevented by not paying the cost.

The way they worded it also seems to include Wasp and Jinzo's effects. That is making a player pay a cost to accomplish an action right? In all legal sense of how they worded it, that is a correct response. The problem with their ruling on forcing an effect with a cost is keeping decent combo's out of the game. Everyone can agree on that cards that say X cannot block or attack should never be forced to do those things. Stuff like their first part of that ruling is making sure that the meta will barely ever change, keeping certain combo's sealed away.