Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to combat the SR Lantern Battery

Yeah, Lantern Battery doesn't target.

I feel we are all missing the obvious. SR Mr Fantastic!!!

Also Juggernaut and Blue beetle can multi block.

I've been puzzling over this question. Since Lantern Battery is not a character, it limits the ways we have to remove it. Polymorph and Imprison have no effect on it. It doesn't target and you can't force it to attack to get it off the field.

Lantern Battery: Power Source
    Continuous: While active, your opponent must pay 1 life per character to block (no matter how many Lantern Battery dice you have in the Field Zone).

Some possible counters:

Namor: Atlantean
    When Namor blocks, you may cancel one active action effect. Move that action die to its owner's used pile if necessary.

Since you declare all blockers and then resolve any effects, I think Lantern Battery will still proc.

Doomcaliber Knight: Skeletal Warrior
    When an opponent uses an action die, you must cancel the effect and knock out this monster.

Breaker the Magical Warrior: Mana Break
    When summoned, you may move an action die from the field to its used pile.

Jinzo: Cyber Energy Shock
    When summoned, move all action dice (of both players) in the field or reserve pool to the used pile.

Jinzo: Mechanical Master
    When summoned, discard one action die from either player's field or from your ready area.

Remind me again what discard means, is that going to Used Pile, or Prep Area?

Magic Helmet: Greater Gear
    This equipped character cannot be affected by your opponent's action dice or character abilities.

Not sure if Magic Helmet gets around the Lantern Battery effect or not.

I don't think Namor would really do a whole lot in the long-run because of the continuous effect.

A card with continuous stays in the field until something triggers its removal. Namor says "Move that action die to its owner's used pile if necessary."

The "if necessary" part is not necessary, because there is no part of the Battery ability that states it is to go to the used pile at any point. This is in opposition to a non-continuous action die that would normally go to used after use. I also do not read "cancel an action effect" as the same thing as "remove the source of the action effect"

As far as I can identify, the Battery will proc. Namor is declared blocker. The battery ability resolves first, because in the event of a simultaneous event, the active players resolve first. You take the the damage from Namor blocking (and any additional blockers). Then Namor's ability resolves which cancels out the effect of the Battery - but it is too late.

It doesn't have the statement "cancel all previous choices/actions/etc"

Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I've been puzzling over this question. Since Lantern Battery is not a character, it limits the ways we have to remove it. Polymorph and Imprison have no effect on it. It doesn't target and you can't force it to attack to get it off the field.

Lantern Battery: Power Source
    Continuous: While active, your opponent must pay 1 life per character to block (no matter how many Lantern Battery dice you have in the Field Zone).

Some possible counters:

Namor: Atlantean
    When Namor blocks, you may cancel one active action effect. Move that action die to its owner's used pile if necessary.

Since you declare all blockers and then resolve any effects, I think Lantern Battery will still proc.
    Both effects are, I believe, "when blocking" effects. Therefore the Active Players' resolve first, and you pay the life. Then Namor procs, and Lantern Battery goes away.

Doomcaliber Knight: Skeletal Warrior
    When an opponent uses an action die, you must cancel the effect and knock out this monster.
    Technically only works when they are first putting the Lantern Battery in the Field, since that's when it's "Used".

Breaker the Magical Warrior: Mana Break
    When summoned, you may move an action die from the field to its used pile.

Jinzo: Cyber Energy Shock
    When summoned, move all action dice (of both players) in the field or reserve pool to the used pile.

Jinzo: Mechanical Master
    When summoned, discard one action die from either player's field or from your ready area.

Remind me again what discard means, is that going to Used Pile, or Prep Area?
    This Jinzo was errata'd:

Jinzo: Mechanical Monster
    When summoned, send one action die from either player’s Field Zone to the Used Pile and cancel its effect (if any).

Magic Helmet: Greater Gear
    This equipped character cannot be affected by your opponent's action dice or character abilities.

Not sure if Magic Helmet gets around the Lantern Battery effect or not.
    Doubtful, the character isn't being affected, the player is.

Also, from within the new set:

Rare Bleez: Controlled Rage
    When fielded, cancel an action die and move it to the Used Pile.

Rare Larfleeze: MINE!
    When fielded, you may KO a {Conduit} or action and send it to the Used Pile.

With this Elf Wizard...Could I steal my opponent's Lantern Battery and Field it on my side of the board?

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post

With this Elf Wizard...Could I steal my opponent's Lantern Battery and Field it on my side of the board?
    If it were in the Used Pile, definitely.

The question then becomes, once you "Use" it, since it's Continuous it stays in the Field. This particular die remains until something discards it, so would it go back at the end of the turn (when "effects" normally end), or would you get to keep it until your opponent gets rid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post

Yes, I believe you could use your opponent's Lantern Battery action die. The part that isn't clear is the 'Return the dice afterward'. I don't know if that means after your turn or after you've resolved the 'when attacks' effects.

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/vie...hp?f=10&t=7426

Based on this ruling, it looks like the moment of "use" would be just putting it into my field, after which it has been "Used" and it would immediately go back to my opponent's Used Pile (where it was taken from).

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    I feel we are all missing the obvious. SR Mr Fantastic!!!
    I KNEW I would not regret paying premium plus for that card!

Rare Bleez would work too. I don't think I saw it mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    Rare Bleez would work too. I don't think I saw it mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Also, from within the new set:

Rare Bleez: Controlled Rage
    When fielded, cancel an action die and move it to the Used Pile.

:-) :-)

Haha!

Dice Anon Mathew must be loving that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Haha!

Dice Anon Mathew must be loving that!!!

Action dice aren't KO'd. Only character dice can get KO'd.

-The Dice Masters Rules Team

Well at least they are consistent in their rulings....

I've been thinking about this card all day, and while it's good, I think it's definitely being overhyped. It will help make a lot of alt strategies more viable, but the competitive meta is more about board wiping or getting rid of key players and swinging for lethal, or burning your opponent to death. I'm not saying it's not good, the card is great, but you can't exactly pay life to block after a green goliath wipes your board clean. Might be fun with Tsarina rush teams though. THAT SAID, back to the hype train. What an excellent tool for dealing with big walls of blockers and parity situations, looking forward to seeing what I can come up with, provided work will let me have more than 1 day off per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I've been thinking about this card all day, and while it's good, I think it's definitely being overhyped. It will help make a lot of alt strategies more viable, but the competitive meta is more about board wiping or getting rid of key players and swinging for lethal, or burning your opponent to death. I'm not saying it's not good, the card is great, but you can't exactly pay life to block after a green goliath wipes your board clean. Might be fun with Tsarina rush teams though. THAT SAID, back to the hype train. What an excellent tool for dealing with big walls of blockers and parity situations, looking forward to seeing what I can come up with, provided work will let me have more than 1 day off per week.
    I thought the card was decent. Same for the SR's for the new set. Nothing too special.

:-) :-)
    Credit where credit is due. You win this time.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    I thought the card was decent. Same for the SR's for the new set. Nothing too special.
    Lantern Battery is probably the only one most competitive players will probably want to get their hands on for now, aside from BL superman/Batman for the globals. There's nothing you need to rush out and get by any means, but the set provided a lot of great new tools in the form of SR's that can make some other strategies playable. Essentially, no Tsarinas, but no Emma Frosts either.