Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Warth + Deadman

Warth + Deadman

Warth: Hope Burns Bright

When fielded, you may use the "when fielded" effect of one of your active characters.

Deadman: Boston Brand

When fielded, capture an opposing character. This capture lasts until Deadman leaves play.

I picked up a few packs today and pulled the rare Warth. I was looking at different cards with fielding effects and came across Deadman. If I keep fielding Warths, Deadman can capture any number of characters, right?

THIS is actually a pretty strong combo. Warth causes Deadman to capture an additional character. Nothing on Deadman says it releases when fielded again or when another capture is made. I like it sir, I like it.

Does Deadman capture it or does Warth?

I read Warth's ability as him effectively temporarily gaining the 'when fielded' ability of another fielded character.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post

I read Warth's ability as him effectively temporarily gaining the 'when fielded' ability of another fielded character.
    Should be deadman

Someone else I talked to read it the way you are, but the wording makes me think it is whatever character who is taking the action, since it says "You" may use, not "Warth" may use. But I can honestly see a fair argument for either reading.

so can I field Warth and buy a Man Of Steel for 2?

who copies?
    you can't stack copies, right? so then you can't stack captures, right?

uncommon scarecrow:
    When fielded, choose a lantern color. While Scarecrow is active, when a die of that color is put into a player's Used Pile, Scarecrow deals 1 damage to that player.

How do you handle this? Warth doesn't gain scarecrow while active effect.

also, just scarecrow by himself, shouldn't he have a "canceling all previous choices" clause?
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 09-17-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Yeah, I always interpreted Warth as he being the one to activate the ability, not the ability's owner. I hadn't even thought about it the other way but I can totally see that, too.

Hm Warth is the source of his effect to trigger something called "when fielded" of an character. So i think, he just let the other characters do it instead of him, because he is a Blue Lantern Supporter Style(like an instant buff).

We actually had a long discussion about this, specifically how Warth would interact with Heroic and such. The way we came down on it was:
    Warth is fielded, his when fielded effect goes off.
    Warth causes another character to use their when fielded effect, as if they had been fielded again, but without leaving play.

This can create some powerful combinations, specifically on cards that don't say "until this ability is used again" or "until you field a joker" or cancel previous choices.

As for all of the "when fielded, choose X" abilities, Warth lets you make a new or different choice. In some cases this lets you change something, in other cases this lets you add to a set of choices.

You scarecrow example, would let you add multiple colors to your lockdown. Not really super powerful, but it DEFINATELY increases the power of Scarecrow in a limited format.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    We actually had a long discussion about this, specifically how Warth would interact with Heroic and such. The way we came down on it was:
    Warth is fielded, his when fielded effect goes off.
    Warth causes another character to use their when fielded effect, as if they had been fielded again, but without leaving play.
    Why?

Why?
    That's how I read it. "When fielded" effects are triggered two ways now: either when character is fielded, or when Warth is fielded and chooses that character. Warth has no involvement in the ability, he's seemingly a way of creating a "when fielded" trigger for a character.

Because it says You, not He or They. As most When fielded effects are either self referential or universal, using the effect either already says "Mystique" or "Joker", or doesn't care who it is that's fielded "gain 2 life".

That Superman below is one of the few exceptions, and even still, you're buying a character other than Superman, because it's his when fielded ability that is being used.

Because it says You, not He or They. As most When fielded effects are either self referential or universal, using the effect either already says "Mystique" or "Joker", or doesn't care who it is that's fielded "gain 2 life".

That Superman below is one of the few exceptions, and even still, you're buying a character other than Superman, because it's his when fielded ability that is being used.
    Ah, now, what you've said there has made me realise there is a third option:

That neither Warth or the character is the source of the ability. You, the player, are!

That neither Warth or the character is the source of the ability. You, the player, are!
    So if Warth causes the capture of a die using Deadman's text, the die goes under the player? (insert laugh track)

Ah, now, what you've said there has made me realise there is a third option:

I still think with "You" is not ment, that you are the source , you cant capture or lockdown a character, but you can chooses which Characters When Fielded will happen and how and to whom.

I would still say the Text on the Card that is triggerd is used. So if there is a name in it, this is the source of the When fielded effect.

but Mystique's copy lasts until she's fielded. so if fielding Warth would cancel that and do a new copy, then does that trigger human torch?

but if it replaces the previous copy, wouldn't deadman also replace?

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    but Mystique's copy lasts until she's fielded. so if fielding Warth would cancel that and do a new copy, then does that trigger human torch?

but if it replaces the previous copy, wouldn't deadman also replace?
    You actually dont field something to the field , so i would guess, no human torch doesnt trigger.

yes, of course not. so then the original copy is still in place. but she can't copy 2 things.

That is true.... ^^ I think the human sense would rule, that the character for his text is fielded, so Loki, Joker, Mystique and similar cancel and you can choose again.
    Or
    The "Pay the price" Rule applies and you cant cancel mystique because you cannot pay the needed price for it.

But if WK will Rule it in some way, we cannot predict it right now.

You are correct, she can't copy two things. This is a matter of physics though, and a limitations of the mechanics of copying, no a limitation on Warth and his interactions.

Similarly, if you Warthed Rogue, you could capture two dice with her effect, but only copy one, as copy is a maximum one target effect. The choice was still made when Warth was fielded, but because she can only maintain one copy effect, you would use the newest.

Ok, yeah, it has to be one character or the other.

But, my feeling is still that it is Warth that is the source of the ability being used.

That to me seems to cause the fewest odd interactions like the above Rogue weirdness.

I would argue that this sort of one sided infinite loop, while possible, would constitute a forfeit on the part of the owner, as they are intentionally delaying the game in an unsporting manner.

I would argue that this sort of one sided infinite loop, while possible, would constitute a forfeit on the part of the owner, as they are intentionally delaying the game in an unsporting manner.
    Sensei's Divining Top?
    I definitely was reading Warth like Scorpion0x17 and perhaps simply to eliminate confusion, they will rule as if he copies, captures or shuts down others himself, not by total means of the character he copies.
    My opinion, my prediction. We shall see. Go WK!