Thread: Relaxing basic action and WoL batman global

Relaxing basic action and WoL batman global

So today when I went to my FLGS to get my war of light stuff, one of the store owners wanted to play a game. So we sat down with the starter set and each picked 4 characters and both dice for the 4 and played a game with 4 basic actions and 20 life. We were just wanting to get some experience with the new set. We played a great game, but made some on the fly rulings regarding a couple of cards;

Relaxing- basic action;
    Draw a die from your bag. Name a die. Draw a Second die. If the second die was the die you named, keep it and draw a third die. Otherwise, move the second die to the used pile.
    **keep the second die drawn if named incorrectly.

Question: what do I do with these dice? We just rolled them (with no reroll) but after the game was over, both decided they should probably go to prep. Anyone have a good reason one way or the other?

Also...
    Batman- Cowardly and Superstitious Lot;
    Global: use 1 energy. The first time you play a basic action this turn, draw one die and add it to prep.

We wondered about the timing on this global? Must you pay at the start of the action activation? Or can you pay it once the action is completed.
    Think about gearing up. If I roll and reroll, need all my energy to pay fielding costs, but have a gearing up, can I use one of those energy I would roll to pay the batman global?

Sorry if this is confusing and long winded. Thanks for any input.

First of all, I'm jealous that you guys played after I had to leave and go to work.

Second, I believe Relaxing was played correctly. I mean, you are drawing a die... what else can you do with it?

As far as Batman goes: I think you play an action when you put it in the field. So, if it's the Lantern Battery, for example, you would pay for the Global, then whenever you field the action you are playing it. If it's Gearing Up, then you pay the Global, then play/use the action.

Wow... that could get pretty serious pretty quickly. Dark magician on the field and batman on the table, play relaxing, pay 1 energy and lose 1 life to prep 2 dice for next turn. Draw 2 dice, lose 1 life. Name a die. (This is where it gets tricky) draw 2 dice and pay 1 life. If you drew the die you name (I'm guessing either one of the 2 drawn will trigger the next part) lose 1 life and draw 2 more dice. Roll 6 more dice AFTER ROLL AND REROLL STEP.

So the net gain is 8 dice for 4 life? I'd do that once per game i think. Only problem is with that 6 cost, dark magician may be too late for me to want to pay that 4 life. I dunno... maybe with a pxg and poly....

There is definitely potential here.

Relaxing:
    Barring the word "reroll", I would rule any dice you keep would go to the Prep Area.

Consider: if you, as the acting player, used Relaxing during the Attack Step and you rolled one of your kept dice on a character face, that die would go to the Used Pile (it cannot be placed in the Reserve Pool, unlike if you rolled an energy face, which can be put there and subsequently used).

Batman - Cowardly and Superstitious Lot:
    Note: this global states "Basic Action", so Lantern Battery is not applicable.
    Key words in this global ability are "play a Basic Action this turn". Until you apply (play) the effects of a Basic Action you would not be able to draw a die. Rolling a Basic Action is not the trigger, it is the playing of that Basic Action.

You can pay the 1 energy anytime you can use Globals, but the sequencing is important. This energy must be paid before you play the Basic Action. So, you cannot use a Basic Action in the Main Step, then pay for the Batman global in the Attack Step to draw a die (the Basic Action has been resolved and the turn has progressed to a different game state). But you can do the reserve: pay for the global in the Main Step, use the Basic Action in the Attack Step and then draw a die.

Quote Originally Posted by archivist View Post
    Relaxing:
    Barring the word "reroll", I would rule any dice you keep would go to the Prep Area.

Consider: if you, as the acting player, used Relaxing during the Attack Step and you rolled one of your kept dice on a character face, that die would go to the Used Pile (it cannot be placed in the Reserve Pool, unlike if you rolled an energy face, which can be put there and subsequently used).
    Well, but using it in your main step, you can get your characters into reserve. So if you wait to use it in your attack step, it's basically lost. I posted a question on the official rules forum as well. Still waiting for a response (of course).

Can I tack on to this thread with an additional question about the global on all four Batman cards? This came up at our WoL rainbow draft over the weekend, and I ruled it one way. Then I went to play at a different store, and they ruled the opposite. I can see arguments for both rulings. So again the text is:

Global: Use 1 energy. The first time you play a basic action this turn, draw one die and add it to prep.

The question is, if you pay for this multiple times, will it trigger multiple times? The scenario would be that the active player "uses" 3 energy to pay for the global, and then plays a BA die. Does the effect of the global trigger 3 times, allowing the player to prep 3 dice from his/her bag? I can see an argument that "use" is different than "pay" and might mean that you can only do it once. I can see an argument that the first time you play a basic action, you resolve anything triggered by playing the BA, and all 3 "uses" would work. Prepping more than 1 die doesn't seem to be broken, because not only are both players able to do it, but you're hurting your current energy pool to put the dice into the next roll...a calculated risk. Getting only 1 seems like it could be the intent, though. And is "use" different than "pay?" Don't wanna give away how I ruled but eager for some more experienced noggins to wrap themselves around my conundrum and ring in.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kaywillow View Post
    Can I tack on to this thread with an additional question about the global on all four Batman cards? This came up at our WoL rainbow draft over the weekend, and I ruled it one way. Then I went to play at a different store, and they ruled the opposite. I can see arguments for both rulings. So again the text is:

Global: Use 1 energy. The first time you play a basic action this turn, draw one die and add it to prep.

The question is, if you pay for this multiple times, will it trigger multiple times? The scenario would be that the active player "uses" 3 energy to pay for the global, and then plays a BA die. Does the effect of the global trigger 3 times, allowing the player to prep 3 dice from his/her bag? I can see an argument that "use" is different than "pay" and might mean that you can only do it once. I can see an argument that the first time you play a basic action, you resolve anything triggered by playing the BA, and all 3 "uses" would work. Prepping more than 1 die doesn't seem to be broken, because not only are both players able to do it, but you're hurting your current energy pool to put the dice into the next roll...a calculated risk. Getting only 1 seems like it could be the intent, though. And is "use" different than "pay?" Don't wanna give away how I ruled but eager for some more experienced noggins to wrap themselves around my conundrum and ring in.

Thanks!
    I believe that you can pay for it multiple times, but still only get 1 die.

It's a case of: Pay X, when Y happens, do Z.

Doesn't matter how many times you request it, it's still only going to happen once.