Thread: OP Event Speculation: Blackest Night

OP Event Speculation: Blackest Night

Do you guys think there will be a Blackest Night event? After all, this is what the war of light ultimately leads to. Would be neat to see a Nekron OP card.

Quote Originally Posted by Joepancreas View Post
    Maybe with a White Lantern as a prize.
    Good call

Quote Originally Posted by Joepancreas View Post
    I hope so. Maybe with a White Lantern as a prize.
    And a Deadman - Again Alive ^^

Maybe a multi-month thing like Trinity War with various black and white lantern versions of characters (using current dice) with Nekron as the grand prize?

I'd love to see two kits like @Camalott said, I was noticing a lack of white lanterns in the set, and really wish they were available.

Just remember that we've already seen solicitations for the next several OP kits - next DC ones are Teen Titans GO! and then Classic Legion of Doom (in January). So we wouldn't see anything like this until at least Feb/Mar of next year, and Batman/Superman will be coming out then.

Quote Originally Posted by chalos13 View Post
    I'd love to see two kits like @Camalott said, I was noticing a lack of white lanterns in the set, and really wish they were available.
    Curious...not being a DC fan much myself...what is the theme behind white lanterns? I have gathered that black lanterns are some sort of pure evil undead type theme...so what are white lanterns?

Interestingly, their symbol does show up on the box for War of Light, and this is just speculation, but it's possible that they may have been planned for the set but then cut for whatever reason. Maybe because of how many lantern combo's and tribalism exist within this set, and the fact that the white lanterns do not show up here, it's possible that instead of an OP kit, we will see a DC Blackest night booster set release sometime in the months after the Batman/Superman set.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    it's possible that instead of an OP kit, we will see a DC Blackest night booster set release sometime in the months after the Batman/Superman set.
    I know some people probably wouldn't like another release so soon, and maybe it's too early to talk about it, but I almost feel like the WOL theme actually needs another set. It's such big event that encompasses so many characters. WOL feels like it could be a prequel to Blackest Night, with the next set ( hypothetically speaking ) adding Nekron, more Black Lanterns, White Lanterns, and more Green Lanterns etc.

Also when you think about it, having a Lantern corps set with only 4 GL members seems a bit surprising. They are the most iconic corps after all, but red lanterns and yellow lanterns both already have more members. There would be plenty of slots to fill in a follow up set.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAZAM! View Post
    I know some people probably wouldn't like another release so soon, and maybe it's too early to talk about it, but I almost feel like the WOL theme actually needs another set. It's such big event that encompasses so many characters. WOL feels like it could be a prequel to Blackest Night, with the next set ( hypothetically speaking ) adding Nekron, more Black Lanterns, White Lanterns, and more Green Lanterns etc.

Also when you think about it, having a Lantern corps set with only 4 GL members seems a bit surprising. They are the most iconic corps after all, but red lanterns and yellow lanterns both already have more members. There would be plenty of slots to fill in a follow up set.
    I couldn't care less about the lantern whatevers to be honest, but this is quickly becoming my favourite set ever released (aside from YGO). There's just so much to do with everything here, it's just begging for more lantern crops members, and they can't get here quickly enough.

Now, we have Green Lantern: Hal jordan and Hal Jordan: Green Lantern. They need to give us Green Hal: Lantern Jordan or Hal Lantern: Green Jordan so the cycle can be complete and we can play the derpiest team ever made, comprised of nothing but the same dude.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Now, we have Green Lantern: Hal jordan and Hal Jordan: Green Lantern. They need to give us Green Hal: Lantern Jordan or Hal Lantern: Green Jordan so the cycle can be complete and we can play the derpiest team ever made, comprised of nothing but the same dude.
    We need both. Half a team, same dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    We need both. Half a team, same dude.
    This is what I'm imagining such a team would look like:

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    Curious...not being a DC fan much myself...what is the theme behind white lanterns? I have gathered that black lanterns are some sort of pure evil undead type theme...so what are white lanterns?
    They were basically the opposite of the Black Lanterns, force of life and all that. Very powerful, very cool. One of the principle ones was Deadman, who came back to life once he got a white ring. this is all from memory a while back, so it could be fuzzy.

They were basically the opposite of the Black Lanterns, force of life and all that. Very powerful, very cool. One of the principle ones was Deadman, who came back to life once he got a white ring. this is all from memory a while back, so it could be fuzzy.
    Ahhh...interesting. Thanks for the insight dude! Feels like there is a lot of interesting lore behind the WOL stuff.

I've always found the Green Lantern character interesting, but a casual interest and knowledge of him is about as deep as I'd ever gone before in Lantern mythos.

And then Ryan Reynolds happened and it soured me a bit on the whole Lantern thing...

Ahhh...interesting. Thanks for the insight dude! Feels like there is a lot of interesting lore behind the WOL stuff.

I've always found the Green Lantern character interesting, but a casual interest and knowledge of him is about as deep as I'd ever gone before in Lantern mythos.

And then Ryan Reynolds happened and it soured me a bit on the whole Lantern thing...
    The multi-colored lanterns and the whole War of Light thing is one of DC's best big events in my opinion. The comics are just solid, and reading them now they don't feel old like some stories do. Plus the idea "lets do a big conflict, and take all these heroes and villains and give them new powers on top of their old ones." That's just excellent.

Could add in Spectre: Hal Jordan - as Hal spent some time under the hood.

Big distinction being that White Lanterns in Blackest Night/Brightest Day weren't true White Lanterns. They were temp hosts. Kyle was the first and only actual White Lantern. Other distinction being that White Lanterns can use ANY other lantern power (aside Black). All at the same time if they want to, which makes them different from the Indigo Tribe who can only use one power at a time. Though, I do believe that the Indigo Tribe can actually channel Black. If White can channel Indigo, and Indigo can channel Black....

My head hurts now.

Quote Originally Posted by Camalott View Post
    Could add in Spectre: Hal Jordan - as Hal spent some time under the hood.

Big distinction being that White Lanterns in Blackest Night/Brightest Day weren't true White Lanterns. They were temp hosts. Kyle was the first and only actual White Lantern. Other distinction being that White Lanterns can use ANY other lantern power (aside Black). All at the same time if they want to, which makes them different from the Indigo Tribe who can only use one power at a time. Though, I do believe that the Indigo Tribe can actually channel Black. If White can channel Indigo, and Indigo can channel Black....

My head hurts now.
    I didn't know any of that, thanks. I haven't read anything with White Lanterns outside War of Light. And either it's been too long so I don't remember or didn't know that about Indigo Tribe either.

The multi-colored lanterns and the whole War of Light thing is one of DC's best big events in my opinion. The comics are just solid, and reading them now they don't feel old like some stories do. Plus the idea "lets do a big conflict, and take all these heroes and villains and give them new powers on top of their old ones." That's just excellent.
    I agree. I'm not really a big event guy, but I make an exception for Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night. I normally prefer stand alone titles and avoid crossovers but these events were actually really well done. I feel like some events tend to make a mountain out of a mole hill and just feel like gimmicks, but the Lantern Wars are actually epic and span a lot of territory and characters, making the tie-ins feel more justifiable and legit. It feels like there is actually enough substance and content for it.

Yeah, my top three in comics are (in order) Civil War, War of Light, Disassembled/House of M.