Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's your Spidey Sense telling you - Speculation about Amazing Spider-Man Set

What's your Spidey Sense telling you - Speculation about Amazing Spider-Man Set

We've had a thread about character speculation, so we don't need to go there unless there is something new to add to that topic...

But what about the other things in the set?
    What kind of new game mechanics might we see?
    What ultra-thematic abilities are we expecting?
    What affiliations will be included?
    What kind of BAC would be thematic for the set?
    What could the potential OP themes be?
    What synergies with current sets will we have?

Personally, I'd love to see a Spiderman card that was designed as a direct counter to our current and lasting Meta Gobby. Maybe a Zombie Spiderman that had a regular decent ability like the current Zombie's...but also includes "while active, Green Goblin cannot be fielded".

I've seen a few spoiler pictures from game trade magazine.

Do we know what underdog does yet.

I'm assuming its an ability that triggers only when you have less life or less characters fielded than your opponent. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by KennedyHawk View Post

I'm assuming its an ability that triggers only when you have less life or less characters fielded than your opponent. Any ideas?
    I like the idea of it triggering when you have less life than your opponent. My first thought though was it triggering when engaged with a higher level character.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I like the idea of it triggering when you have less life than your opponent. My first thought though was it triggering when engaged with a higher level character.
    That'd be cool too and lead to some nice WoL combos with the level basic action and Wondergirl.

What have you seen other than the pictures of the Starter/GF/Collector's Box? I haven't seen any information posted other than the very basic Retailer Solicitation...

It will have the new keyword "Allies" - most likely including Aunt May as one that will provide some benefit to your other characters without being a super great character herself (similar to Pepper Potts from AoU). DC Batman/Superman will also have this keyword.

I'd like to see a separate Villain affiliation like the Sinister Six, with cards that only interact with it specifically rather than just "Villain" (like they could have done with Legion of Doom/Crime Syndicate of America in Justice League, but didn't). I don't have a problem with them being double-affiliation Villains, but I'd like the second affiliation to actually mean something mechanically and not just thematically.

These were posted on the Madison, WI facebook group from GameTrade Magazine.

Name:  drax.jpg
Views: 5954
Size:  13.8 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	jane_hulk.jpg 
Views:	6934 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	3119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spidey.jpg 
Views:	6027 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	3120

For some reason I assumed they were out there already in the open.

Surprise now they are

Spider-girl SR is a 3 cost that says - Underdog - when fielded deal 1 damage to your opponent.

It looks like a keyword, so until we get the rules it's just a guessing game.

Wow. Don't think anyone guessed Spider-Girl for that die. And she's a SR. First I'm seeing if this stuff. Don't think anyone guessed Hulk for that die either.

There's also the Keyword Ally on Mary Jane and Aftershock on Hulk.

3 New keywords it looks like.

Drax reads "You may pay 1 life to field Drax for free.

Gwen Stacy reads "Field Gwen Stacy for free if you have an active Spider-friends character"

For some reason I can get that image to zoom on the forums.
    Last edited by KennedyHawk; 09-17-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Gwen Stacey reads "Field Gwen Stecy for free if you have an active Spider-friends character"
    Please tell me that's your typo, not theirs!

My typo... fixed it

Based on the half text next to spider-man's card it sounds like Venom, Wolverine and Hulk are slated as returning characters. Gladiator in non Z form as well? Hard to interpret that part.

Interesting...that's not up on GTM's website yet, must be the latest (November) issue? I have all of them up to that point...I'll check back at my FLGS next Monday and see if they have it up/out yet. See if we can get some full-page scans :-)

This article mentions or shows the following (AV = avengers, HH = heroes for hire, SS = sinister six, AF = amazing friends):

Spider-Woman (AV, starter)
    White Tiger (starter)
    Drax (starter)
    Carnage (starter)
    Kingpin (starter)
    Spider-Man (starter)
    Ghost Rider (starter)
    Silver Sable (HH, starter)
    Cloak
    Daredevil
    Black Cat
    Firestar (AF)
    Iceman (AF)
    Luke Cage (HH)
    Black Widow (AV)
    Aunt Mary
    Mary Jane
    Green Goblin
    Lizard
    Rhino
    Doctor Octopus (SS)
    Kraven the Hunter (SS)
    Mysterio (SS)
    Vulture (SS)
    Agent Venom
    Gladiator
    Wolverine
    Hulk
    Spider-Girl
    Gwen Stacy
    Sandman (SS, off screen, but must be there as a part of the original sinister six)

Likely cards from previous spoilers:
    Iron Fist
    Web Shooters
    Goblin Glider
    Iron Spider
    Scarlet Spider
    Dagger
    Jack O'Lantern
    Blink

This is 39 in total, 1 die short.
    Also the card count is 142, indicating likely 4 more zombies.

Edit: 2 more dice added.
    Edit: Blink added
    Last edited by nutki; 09-17-2015 at 05:22 PM.

That Spiderman card there is actually a full art promo. Likely the bonus one included in the Collector's Box.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    That Spiderman card there is actually a full art promo. Likely the bonus one included in the Collector's Box.
    Yeah. It's fairly certain it's the collector's box card - pictures of the collector's box show that it will be a Spider-Man card, so it's probably that one.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    what does aftershock say?
    Aftershock - each player must sacrifice another character (if able).

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Aftershock - each player must sacrifice another character (if able).
    Would that be an "If KO'd" ability?

Seems quite plausible.

If/when we can get the full text of the article, and/or the Rulebook, we'll know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    Would that be an "If KO'd" ability?
    Maybe that. Maybe when it deals combat damage.

"sacrifice" in a comic book set?

Yeah...I thought the use of the word sacrifice was strange too when I first saw it there. I hope we get a clear definition of what sacrifice means, becuase I don't think we've seen that word used yet.

I'm guessing it just means "KO"...and they just used the word sacrifice to make it thematic to the ability. If sacrifice does mean KO...then I'm guessing that Aftershock would be a "when KO'd" ability...just becuase the reminder text says "another character"...implying that the original character suffered the same fate.

I'm not against it if it unifies the language used across sets.

Edit: Sacrifice might mean move to used. Sacrifice appears 0 times according to dice masters database.