Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: Lantern Ring: Limited Only By Imagination

  1. #1

    Lantern Ring: Limited Only By Imagination

    Lantern Ring: Limited Only By Imagination
    Continuous: While active, when your characters attack, they deal 1 damage to target player for each energy symbol in your Reserve Pool that matches their type.

    If I have Lantern Ring in the field, 2 energy in Reserve Pool and attack with Lyssa Drak I deal 2 damage to target player.

    What if I attack with both Lyssa Drak and Mera, is it 2 damage or 4? I believe it would be 2 damage.

  2. #2
    Wow. This can be read a whole multitude of ways!

    So, I'm going with my gut and say I think it's one damage per attacking character per matching energy symbol in reserve.

  3. #3
    Given that the card reads "they" and not "this" I have to believe that you deal 4 damage, 2 per character.

  4. #4
    Yeah, the "they" is pretty telling.

  5. #5
    I believe there are at least two ways to interpret the card text:

    Continuous: While active, when your characters attack, they (collectively) deal 1 damage to target player for each energy symbol in your Reserve Pool that matches their type.

    Continuous: While active, when your characters attack, they (each) deal 1 damage to target player for each energy symbol in your Reserve Pool that matches their type.

    I believe the second option is more powerful. Just think about this combined with Ice Man: Too Cool for Words. Use Ice Man's global to get 5 bolts into reserve pool, attack with 4 bolt characters and game over. Also this interpretation begs the question if it's unique characters or every attacking character die.

    I've submitted my question to WizKids Rules Forum, so hopefully we will get an official answer in the not too distant future.

  6. #6
    It'd need an errata if it's collectively since a bunch of something can't be a single source.

    I agree though that it seems pretty insanely powerful if you're running a bolt team.

  7. #7
    There are at least four ways to read it.

    "...each energy symbol..." can also be read two ways:

    "...each (instance of an) energy symbol..."

    Or:

    "...each energy symbol (there is one or more instances of)..."

    And each of those could go with either of @pishposh 's readings.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I believe there are at least two ways to interpret the card text:

    Continuous: While active, when your characters attack, they (collectively) deal 1 damage to target player for each energy symbol in your Reserve Pool that matches their type.

    Continuous: While active, when your characters attack, they (each) deal 1 damage to target player for each energy symbol in your Reserve Pool that matches their type.

    I believe the second option is more powerful. Just think about this combined with Ice Man: Too Cool for Words. Use Ice Man's global to get 5 bolts into reserve pool, attack with 4 bolt characters and game over. Also this interpretation begs the question if it's unique characters or every attacking character die.

    I've submitted my question to WizKids Rules Forum, so hopefully we will get an official answer in the not too distant future.
    I originally thought it was per character per energy in reserve, but after a short description of the possibilities I think it's way too ridiculous. It's probably ruled as collectively. If so, the best use will be the inevitable Gladiator mask bolt team some of will be seeing every now and then. I firmly believe that he is the best Zombie out of the 4 and this action, with either ruling, will make it much faster. If no one else does it, I will!

  9. #9
    I ended up drafting this card tonight at my Rainbow Draft Event. We decided to rule it where basically my opponent took 1 damage for each energy symbol in my reserve pool that matched an attacking player. I ended up going 3-0

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by pishposh View Post
    I ended up drafting this card tonight at my Rainbow Draft Event. We decided to rule it where basically my opponent took 1 damage for each energy symbol in my reserve pool that matched an attacking player. I ended up going 3-0
    So for an example, for a Fist character every fist counted?

  11. #11
    Yes. I had 2 fists and 3 bolts in my reserve pool. I attacked with Beast Boy and Starfire resulting in 5 damage to my opponent.

  12. #12

  13. #13
    You can counter this in several ways,
    first the damage is dealed by the characters as a group.
    Also it is an Ability, regardless if action die or character die, because they deal it, before Combat Damage resolves(Attacking Characters -> Resolve Effects->Blocker->Resolve Effects -> Global/Action Die->Combat Damage).

    Prevent:
    Doomcaliberknight

    Disable:
    Magical Breaker
    Namor
    ....

    Damage Prevent:
    not sure if Cap Am or Human Paladin can prevent this damage.

  14. #14
    Having thought about the four possible interpretations of the ability I think it is meant to be read as:

    "Continuous: While active, when your characters attack, they (collectively) deal 1 damage to target player for each energy symbol (there is one or more instances of) in your Reserve Pool that matches their type."

    So the maximum you can do, via this effect, from any single attack is 4 damage.

  15. #15
    2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion
    360

    Location
    Akron, OH
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Having thought about the four possible interpretations of the ability I think it is meant to be read as:

    "Continuous: While active, when your characters attack, they (collectively) deal 1 damage to target player for each energy symbol (there is one or more instances of) in your Reserve Pool that matches their type."

    So the maximum you can do, via this effect, from any single attack is 4 damage.
    I completely understand how you got there. It is not, in the least, unreasonable. Yet my only response to it is, "Blech!" I hope that is not how this ring functions.

  16. #16
    The main stumbling block for me right now is that we have no precedence for a collective of characters dealing damage as one whole. If that's how it works then it should be the Lantern Ring dealing the damage, with characters and energy as its conditions.

  17. #17
    So what you're saying is that the different ways to read the card are "limited only by imagination"?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    The main stumbling block for me right now is that we have no precedence for a collective of characters dealing damage as one whole. If that's how it works then it should be the Lantern Ring dealing the damage, with characters and energy as its conditions.
    How about Colossus Rare? He collectively causes characters to do damage.

  19. #19
    Colossus has each individual character deal 2 damage, not the whole group doing X damage as one.

  20. #20
    And yet, human paladin, who chooses an ability to reduce, reduces the damage from colossus as a whole.

  21. #21
    Is there a ruling to that effect that I haven't seen?

    Either way, I think the logic still holds up. Even if it's the individual characters that are dealing damage, what's causing them to deal that damage is Colossus' ability. Human Paladin's text doesn't care how many places the damage is coming from, it just cares what the cause of the damage is.

  22. #22

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeld View Post
    And yet, human paladin, who chooses an ability to reduce, reduces the damage from colossus as a whole.
    Your basis for that assertion is?

    (not saying you're wrong, necessarily, but like alleyviper, I have not seen a ruling to that effect)

  24. #24
    No ruling, just a close reading of the cards involved.

    Paladin affects an ability not an individual characters damage.

  25. #25
    Which is fine, there is certainly some reasoning to come to that conclusion. I can easily see Colossus working such that HPG can prevent the whole of the damage produced from his ability, but also something that procs from individual instances of damage (say, Hulk, which is an interesting interaction I hadn't previously thought of until now) going off for each character that Colossus sets off. If that's the case though, then Scott's Lantern Battery interpretation

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    "Continuous: While active, when your characters attack, they (collectively) deal 1 damage to target player for each energy symbol (there is one or more instances of) in your Reserve Pool that matches their type."
    gets weird. If I have five Bolt characters in play, and three Bolts in reserve, I deal just one damage with Lantern Battery. Would that (theoretically) set Hulk off 1 time or 5 times? It's five characters dealing the damage, after all. Are they each dealing 0.2 damage? Viewing damage from characters as a collective gets very tricky.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •