Thread: Stealth Ops BAC

Stealth Ops BAC

This WoL Basic Action reads:

Target character die is considered to be level 1 and is unblockable this turn.
    Global: Pay double mask. Spin target character die down 1 level.

My question is, when the target die attacks would it do damage at equal to its level 1 attack power or would the damage be equal to the attack power of whatever level it is actually on at the time? This came up at a draft tonight and both ways seem valid.

I would say, the target just looks like lvl 1 but it keeps his stats on his face whatever it is.

Why? Because of the word "considered", which means everything looks to him and thinks, "this die is lvl 1" , that means he can be KO by Hulk Jade Giant without Burst, or other things that can do something to lvl 1 characters.

EDIT:
    Last edited by Ressless; 09-18-2015 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    I would say, the target just looks like lvl 1 but i keeps his stats on his face whatever it is.

Why? Because of the word "considered", which means everything looks to him and thinks, "this die is lvl 1" , that means he can be KO by Hulk Jade Giant without Burst, or other things that can do something to lvl 1 characters.
    This is how we ruled it at our draft too.

Stealth Ops may as well read "Target character is unblockable this turn. Spin it to level 1. It cannot be spun for the remainder of this turn. If target character is still in play at the end of turn, return it to its original level."

I mean, you still *could* spin it for other effects like Polymorph's global but as far as how it works isolated within Stealth Ops' effect that's a rough way to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    Stealth Ops may as well read "Target character is unblockable this turn. Spin it to level 1. It cannot be spun for the remainder of this turn. If target character is still in play at the end of turn, return it to its original level."

I mean, you still *could* spin it for other effects like Polymorph's global but as far as how it works isolated within Stealth Ops' effect that's a rough way to look at it.
    This is how I interpreted it as well. It seems a little broken to let a 3rd level character be unblockable and gain a few small caveats like the jade giant ko. Seems a small price to pay for as good of an ability as "unblockable" is. Most unblockable cards have a max attack value somewhere around 3. I think this BAC is a way to get something a little beefier to be unblockable: a level 1 GG hulk die for instance. 5 unblockable is strong but not broken. 8 unblockable is just too much for a 3 drop BAC

We also had a discussion about this last night as well at our WoL Rainbow draft. Barring the words "spin this die to level 1" in the card ability, I ruled that the target die retained its current stats (if on level 2/3). Since the global does include these words, it leads me to assume this is not the card ability's intent as well.

Stealth Ops impacts those situations where having a die at level 1 is relevant such as:

Batarang - Tool of the Bat
    KO a level 1 character.
    * Instead, KO a level 1 or level 2 character.
    ** Instead, KO a level 1 or level 2 character and place this die in your Prep Area after using it.

Lantern Power Ring - Energy Constructs
    KO a level 1 or 2 Villain.
    ** Also put the KOd Villain in the Used Pile instead of the Prep Area

Mirror Force BAC
    Knock out a level 1 monster.
    ** Knock out a level 1 or 2 monster

Shockwave BAC
    KO all level 1 characters.
    */** Also deal 3 damage to an opposing player.
    Global: Pay 1. Target level 1 character is unaffected by action dice this turn.

and several others....

All of these cards could either benefit you by making your characters "considered to be Level 1" (without actually being spun down to level 1 - keeping their stats) or hurt your opponent by making their characters "considered to be Level 1":

The more I think about it the trickier things get and the more I want a ruling.

I have a level 3 character and use Stealth Ops on it. It's now considered to be level 1 this turn. Can I even use Polymorph's global to spin it down and spin something up? It's considered level 1 and we can't spin down a level 1 character.

How about spinning it up? Can I use Stealth Ops on Giant Man, considering him level 1, then Polymorph him up twice and swing with an unblockable 7/7?

I feel like the answers to those two questions would likely be in conflict with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    All of these cards could either benefit you by making your characters "considered to be Level 1" (without actually being spun down to level 1 - keeping their stats) or hurt your opponent by making their characters "considered to be Level 1":

But a lot of these wouldn't every impact a character with Stealth Ops since the effect would no longer be in play when you used them. I used Stealth Ops on my turn, and the character goes to used. All those action you want to play don't do much now.

I can see where you MIGHT make an opponents character level 1 to use these, but that seems like a waste when you can make one of your own unblockable instead.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    The more I think about it the trickier things get and the more I want a ruling.

I have a level 3 character and use Stealth Ops on it. It's now considered to be level 1 this turn. Can I even use Polymorph's global to spin it down and spin something up? It's considered level 1 and we can't spin down a level 1 character.

How about spinning it up? Can I use Stealth Ops on Giant Man, considering him level 1, then Polymorph him up twice and swing with an unblockable 7/7?

I feel like the answers to those two questions would likely be in conflict with each other.
    It *is* not level 1, it is just "considered" to be Level 1 for anything pertaining to levels (including spinning).

Once you've used Stealth Ops, you would no longer be able to target it with Polymorph for the spin-down effect (since as you said, you can't spin down a "Level 1" die).

You would want to make sure Giant Man was on his Level 3 face first, and *then* use Stealth Ops to make him unblockable (but he could then be KO'd by Jade Giant).

Agree, there is ambiguity. On Polymorph, if I rolled both actions (Poly & Stealth), I would apply the Poly before the Stealth to avoid any conflict (assuming the target die is "spun" to level 1 due to Stealth Ops). Reverse the action die applications for Giant Man (Stealth first then Poly).

The order of action die application optimizes the tactical execution.

More reason to bring Distraction...

Answered. Seems it makes it level one without actually spinning the dice down.

http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb...hp?f=10&t=8335

Quote Originally Posted by dmrulesteam
    Considered means the affected character die has all attributes, such as A, D, fielding cost, and bursts (if any) of its level 1 face until the end of the turn.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    Well, that's...an answer.
    Right behind you!

Even after the ruling the way it works is not clear to me. What happens if you spin the die after using Stealth Ops (on the same turn of course). For example consider the following situations:
    1) Level 1 character -> Stealth Ops -> spin up (Focus Power) -> becomes level ? -> at the end of turn back to ...?
    2) Level 2 character -> Stealth Ops -> spin up (Focus Power) -> becomes level ? -> at the end of turn back to ...?
    3) Level 3 character -> Stealth Ops -> spin up (Focus Power) -> becomes level ? -> at the end of turn back to ...?
    I can see several possibilities
    a. 123 -> 111 -> 222 -> 123 (Return to the level before Stealth Ops)
    b. 123 -> 111 -> 222 -> 233 (Reapply Focus Power effect at the end of turn)
    c. 123 -> 111 -> 111 -> 233 (Stealth Ops overrides Focus Power, but its effect becomes visible at the end of the turn)
    d. 123 -> 111 -> 233 -> 233 (Stealth Ops stop working on level manipulation)

I think that option c. is the most likely one.