Thread: Article: The Transition Zone: Reading the Opponent

Good Article, i really like to look some minutes at the board of my opponent. I try to be fair and sportsman and try to explain mechanics on my cards so we dont get interrupted in the match with a "Huh? What did you do?"

Globals is a very important point. Often you have your enery and Character dice on the reserve pool and your not sure what will your opponent do next if you do this and that. Globals can give you a hint, or maybe paranoia, but at least your on the safer side to think about them like "What can he do with it? Can i do the same to him, does he want that?" and and.
    Thanks IsaacBV!

PS: Sometimes i try out an all out global control team, just to see what crazy or really annoying things can happen for my tested teams.

Great article! My biggest problem tends to be forgetting to buy my opponent's BAC dice or use their globals. We plan and hone our 10 cards and the globals we bring with them and combos that they help us set up and our preferred T1/T2 buy order that it is easy to forget to modify your plan. He's right (and he's very good at doing this in competitive play despite his missteps that night with JT on Vassal). Check to see if their globals and BACs help you play your game better, try to figure out their win condition. If Formerly Weapon Ten or Canucklehead is there with an attack pump global on the board, start buying your control/removal dice early (or save energy for Mera's global) if you didn't bring distraction.
    Also, in competitive tournament play, don't give out more information than you have to. Your cards and dice are their for them to analyze. Put on your poker face. Be friendly. Be non-committal about your strategy. Change the subject. Like @Randy said, listen to what they talk about and what they ask you about.

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    @IsaacBV , thanks for not throwing me under the bus and talking about how I totally failed to do this the game you won that night. Getting punched in the face by my hulk is no fun. So this is definitely a two way street. And there may or may not be some gamesmanship to what cards and dice you bring as well as the way you set them up. Bringing 3 SR Red Dragon dice and 17 dice total can give your opponent something extra to think about.

Shhh! Stop telling people all the secrets! In all seriousness though. Great article. The better players will always make their plays with their opponent's next turns/victory condition in mind. What do they have in the bag right now? Why did they buy that action and what can they do with it? Most of the time, there is some answer for you in a build, you just have to find it. "Darn, I missed my roll, but wait, they are running Parallax." It may be as simple as "Do I want to Blue-Eyes that SK this turn, or hold it for defense?" Your opponent's board and bag state will tell you where to go. "Are they running Red Dragon, Baron Zemo and Magic Missile? Maybe I should buy a couple of those before they get going". Will it slow your victory condition down a little? Sure. It is worth it, however, if it thwarts half of what your opponent is trying to do.