Thread: TV/Movie Trope Pet Peeves

TV/Movie Trope Pet Peeves

You see it less now since video tape is far more rare, but I hate it when someone is watching a recording of something, rewinds for an eternity, and then when they hit play again they've gone back like three seconds.

Not necessarily limited to tv/movies, but I'm getting really sick of anime/movies/shows/video games (usually rpg's) that involves some plot to "kill god" or "destroy god" or "become god". I'm not bringing this up because of religious connotations, I couldn't care less. It's just so overdone at this point.

I hate it when a dude walks into a bar and just orders a "Beer". I mean...have you ever walked into a bar and just said "I'll have a beer"...it doesn't work. I try it all the time just to see if it will work one day...and nope...hasn't worked once yet...

The magical image enhancements they do to grainy cctv or drone footage on things like CSI or Homeland really grinds my gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    The magical image enhancements they do to grainy cctv or drone footage on things like CSI or Homeland really grinds my gears.
    Oh jeez, that's another big one.

I guess there's also the association of the history channel with an actual history channel, since it nosedived into the pawn stars and ancient aliens channel. Jimmies are rustled by that constantly.

Almost everything about the use of computers in TV. Its like nobody that writes TV shows knows how computers work.

This is not a TV/Movie thing, but a Podcast thing, and I considered posting it in the Feedback forum, but I'm putting it here because it was this thread that made me think of it (or thinking of it made me think of this thread)...

Something that really really irritates me is when podcasters assert that something, for which there is doubt over, is absolutely and unquestionably true.

Card text interpretations, for instance.

It is ok to say "this is how I think this works, but we need confirmation because there are other possible readings...", you know.

I really don't think it's necessary to state that it's just your interpretation or opinion. Who else's would it be?

Yeah, I know.

But then some people take it as gospel.

And if it then gets ruled to work a different way it adds to fragmentation of a community.

Because you get different people playing effectively different versions of a game depending which way they play various cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Yeah, I know.

But then some people take it as gospel.

And if it then gets ruled to work a different way it adds to fragmentation of a community.

Because you get different people playing effectively different versions of a game depending which way they play various cards.
    Once again, I cannot possibly agree with Scorpion more here. It's important to keep in mind, that whether they should or not, some people are in positions where what they say will be taken as a fact by a fair number of people who consume the materials they produce.

This adds to the us vs them mentality of "netdeckers' and homebrewers, other different groups of different gaming communities and so on.

They're obviously opinions. The counter to it is to never talk about it at all. The solution is that WzKids could start giving rulings much sooner or stop releasing cards with so much ambiguity. The fragmentation isn't because we try to parse the rules, it's because we're left with so much doubt about how most things actually work. The game can't take meaningful steps forward until there is a dramatically smaller percentage of rules conversation than currently, and that's 100% in the hands of the publisher.

Sorry for derailing your thread, @Dave !

I should have posted in the feedback forum, I guess.

Didn't think it would spark so much discussion.

Anyway, I do absolutely agree that the primary cause of community fragmentation is card text ambiguity and the lack of quick rulings from WizKids.

I just know that some people do take what is said on podcasts as absolute truth. I've seen numerous cases of people questioning rulings because "that's not what they said on the TRP podcast", or words to that effect.

And I think it would help if readings of card text meaning were not stated with so much confidence in those cases where there is some question over the correct interpretation.

Woops, just realised that this thread got derailed by all that.

One final comment though, we have to take everything with a grain of salt, especially because Wizkids is almost intent on weirding us out with strange rulings.

THAT SAID, who wants to complain about the movie Avatar by james cameron?

I was listening to an older episode of a podcast I like today, and the topic of this movie and it's problems came up and I remembered how infuriating the whole film was.

Why are the Navi loading the humans back onto their spaceships!? They need the resource to save the planet or something, there;s no way the people are gonna let that slide. Then it just ends and pretends all is well and the guy joins the tribe of blue cat people, and no one stops for a minute to think, well, we won a ground war against the humans but we should probably embrace some aspect of progress otherwise when they return, they'll wipe us out because we're under prepared. The messages in this movie are just so dumb.

My problem is that I often wouldn't realize there was another interpretation. So I'd say/write "hey, use this card to combo with this." And there'd be a big rules debate. So I stopped wanting to write or say anything. The lack of clarity seriously sucked the fun out of writing about this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Woops, just realised that this thread got derailed by all that.

One final comment though, we have to take everything with a grain of salt, especially because Wizkids is almost intent on weirding us out with strange rulings.

THAT SAID, who wants to complain about the movie Avatar by james cameron?

I was listening to an older episode of a podcast I like today, and the topic of this movie and it's problems came up and I remembered how infuriating the whole film was.

Why are the Navi loading the humans back onto their spaceships!? They need the resource to save the planet or something, there;s no way the people are gonna let that slide. Then it just ends and pretends all is well and the guy joins the tribe of blue cat people, and no one stops for a minute to think, well, we won a ground war against the humans but we should probably embrace some aspect of progress otherwise when they return, they'll wipe us out because we're under prepared. The messages in this movie are just so dumb.
    1) I think my confidence comes from(and this is something I usually say) I'm often in a position to need to rule on the spot about something, so in absence of a ruling, here's how I'd rule it.

2) My problem is that it's Space Pocahantas. But it's a beautiful world that they created. I'm looking forward to Disney's interpretation of Pandora in Animal Kingdom soon.

Movie Trope Pet Peeves:

The Hero that shoots a gun more than 6 or 9 times (whatever the ammo capacity of the pistol) without reloading. BTW - the movie John Wick got this portrayal right.

That the same Hero hits all the bad guys with one shot, but the Villains (many shooting at the same time) can't seem to hit the broad-side of a barn.

That when a gang of thugs attacks the Hero, they do so one at a time vice jumping in all at once. It's like they're standing in a queue (a line for us Yanks).

When a damsel (and sometime a dude) is fleeing from the bad guy, they always trip over something.

That any species advanced enough to master space travel can be beaten by the human race (though I give props to how the space aliens were defeated in the War of the Worlds).

That every woman who is killed in the first few minutes of a horror movie is a drop-dead hottie (Wait - I like that trope, never mind).

Man asks a woman he has just met out on a date, she accepts and he replies with something along the lines of, "Great, I'll pick you up at eight." There was no exchange of phone numbers or address in the convo. How the heck does he know where to pick her up at?

Someone that warns the hero to "don't trust anyone" will almost certainly be the person that betrays the hero at a crucial point in the story. LOL I said not to trust anyone.