Thread: The Atom and Atom team legality

The Atom and Atom team legality

So...does the "The" in The Atom make it a different name than Atom?

As far as I can tell, yes. Wizkids may rule differently, but until they do I would say you can have Atom, The Atom, and Atomica all on the same team. Along with Green Lantern: Hal Jordan and Hal Jordan: Green Lantern.

Well, Atomica is a different character and Green Lantern and Hal Jordan are different names, so those make sense. It's a question of if the "The" makes it a different name or not.

I agree with @pk2317 , the rules talk about different names, so from a technical standpoint it's different. Same way Black Lantern Batman is different from Batman. WK might rule it differently, but if someone at my store asks, I'll say it's fine till then.

This is my leaning as well. Just wanted a feel from others on it. Went ahead and asked on the WK rules forum...we'll see if they address it.

But what about Hald Jordan? His Dice are the same and almost the same colour? WOuldnt it be too confusing?

Green Lantern's is solid green...Hal Jordan's is clear green. Not any different than AvX's Hulk die and Red Hulk's die...one is green, the other is red. Or Superman's die and Superboy Prime's die...one is blue the other is yellow. So, while it's kinda funny you can field Green Lantern: Hal Jordan and Hal Jordan: Green Lantern in the same team, they clearly have different names and titles of the character don't really mean anything in game at this point. My inquisition comes from the use of the word "The" in JL's The Atom and the omission of said word in WoL's Atom. When something is reference alpha-numerically and "The", "A", and "An" are used as the first word, it is (supposed to be) ignored...I know WK didn't do this consistently with Flash, Joker, and Atom in the JL set, but that is the rule. So...is "The" enough to make it a different title? I agree with the "yes" leaning simply because both JL's and WoL's Flashes (Flashi? Flashee?) are named The Flash, but I can see it ruled either way and was curious what people's opinions on the matter were here.

how are they listed on the checklists? is it 'Flash, The' on both? Or 'The Flash'?

Found images online, so i was able to answer my own question. So on the JL checklist the "the's" are omitted. which leads me to think that Wizkids doesn't include the word as neccissary when building a team, thus they are the same character. you can have only one.

but then i noticed that on the WoL list they did include "the" on The Flash. so now i'm all confused even more...darnit wizkids...

Quote Originally Posted by ONEone78 View Post
    how are they listed on the checklists? is it 'Flash, The' on both? Or 'The Flash'?
    On the checklist, "The Atom" is listed as "Atom".

"The Joker" is listed as "Joker"

"The Flash" is listed as "The Flash"

Why the difference? No idea.

However, since "The Atom" is listed as "Atom", and given that the word "The" is simply placed in front of a noun, and the noun is what matters - I would say that WK would rule that "The Atom" from JUL and "Atom" from WoL are not unique from one another.

I think some of this comes down to how much each person really cares about theme in this game.

If someone I was playing against really wanted to use "The Atom" and "Atom" on the same team, I would probably react with "Come on man...really.?"...but ultimately wouldn't care, that is thier decision. If it is technically legal, I won't complain about it.

However, I wouldn't play a team like this myself becuase I do care about theme. Are those two actual distinct characters in thr DC Universe? I dont think so...

I started playing the game becuase I'm a Marvel fan. I continue playing becuase I enjoy the game play and the theme, but theme is still the thing that keeps me coming back. I am very much looking forward to the Spiderman set, but would I be as excited if they were just random art pictures with "Character A" as the title? Nope...

It is a slippery slope to say "Titles dont matter" becuase pretty soon that part of the game will be in a mess and people who play it for theme, may start checking out...

Quote Originally Posted by mimethemimic View Post
    So...is "The" enough to make it a different title?
    My bad, meant to say "different name" not "different title"

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    However, I wouldn't play a team like this myself becuase I do care about theme. Are those two actual distinct characters in thr DC Universe? I dont think so...
    Well, yeah actually. You could say The Atom is Ryan Choi and Atom is Ray Palmer. Just like Ant Man could be Scott Lang so you could still have Giant Man on your team thematically.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    It is a slippery slope to say "Titles dont matter" becuase pretty soon that part of the game will be in a mess and people who play it for theme, may start checking out...
    Yet, so far, titles don't matter...only the names. You can't have Thor:The Mighty on the same team as Thor:Goddess of Thunder eventhough their dice are totally different and they're different characters.