Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Article: War of Light: A Different Kind of Review

Do you see the common Wonder Girl replacing Grundy as a partner for BEWD (when using the global, could you target a Titan and, using her ability, instead KO an opponent's character)?

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiX View Post
    Do you see the common Wonder Girl replacing Grundy as a partner for BEWD (when using the global, could you target a Titan and, using her ability, instead KO an opponent's character)?
    that would work great...and much less expensive...and potentially board wiping since she doesnt knock out...i cant wait to use her with iceman and some ridiculous cost creature that wouldnt normally be played since ill be using bewd multiple times.

I really like this style of set review. well done.

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiX View Post
    I don't believe BEWD targets.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    I don't believe BEWD targets.
    Correct. That was established when they said you could still use BEWD when your opponent has Ring of Magnetism in play.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Correct. That was established when they said you could still use BEWD when your opponent has Ring of Magnetism in play.
    Thanks for the clarification. As a casual player, it's getting to be a bit of a bear tracking the nuances of language in the game, especially across sets...

I do want to contest the choice for Raven. Not because I don't think it's a good card, it's great, but because the review does not bother to mention Teen Titans as an archetype. Raven suffers from what "aquaman" syndrome, where every single one of her cards is very very good. While the uncommon is the most generically useful, I would say that the other two are much more powerful when she is part of her own team. Again, not disagreeing here, but if I'm judging Raven right now, I'd go right for that common version. Wonder girl already gives you a fair degree of targeting protection, so being able to keep your board state in good health for Starfire Koriand'r is huge. Not to mention, in an era where people are much more wary of using pxg, the difference between a 3 and a 4 cost character is huge.

In short, do not agree with ignoring tribalism/archetypal support in the review, because we simply can't properly compare them.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I do want to contest the choice for Raven. Not because I don't think it's a good card, it's great, but because the review does not bother to mention Teen Titans as an archetype. Raven suffers from what "aquaman" syndrome, where every single one of her cards is very very good. While the uncommon is the most generically useful, I would say that the other two are much more powerful when she is part of her own team. Again, not disagreeing here, but if I'm judging Raven right now, I'd go right for that common version. Wonder girl already gives you a fair degree of targeting protection, so being able to keep your board state in good health for Starfire Koriand'r is huge. Not to mention, in an era where people are much more wary of using pxg, the difference between a 3 and a 4 cost character is huge.

In short, do not agree with ignoring tribalism/archetypal support in the review, because we simply can't properly compare them.

But are the Titans viable in unlimited? I'd argue no. This review is from an unlimited perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    But are the Titans viable in unlimited? I'd argue no. This review is from an unlimited perspective.
    Actually, I think the titans are very much viable in unlimited. Thanks to big entrance and the extremely cheap purchase costs across the board for the best in-archetype forms (2, 3, 3 and 4 respectively), you can start racking up lots of damage very quickly with a couple Starfires. They're not the best, but I'd put them in the same slot as the justice league retaliation teams. Extremely powerful for local play.

"I have no doubt that in the constructed environment, the pure aggro ability and value of Blinding Rage cannot go without acknowledgement. It’s the best of the four, hands down."

Now that's the hype I was looking for! Guy Gardner is an absolute beast and with the ability to go +1 for each other attacking die, he's going to be a 5+ attacking 2- character that is practically free to field. His damage potential even beats out Tsarina for Big Entrance shenanigans! I really cannot wait to see four 7/4's rushing my opponent's face with Doomcaliber Knight's protection. Even a Mera global can't save you now!

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    Even a Mera global can't save you now!
    really? explain please.

"I have no doubt that in the constructed environment, the pure aggro ability and value of Blinding Rage cannot go without acknowledgement. Itís the best of the four, hands down."

Now that's the hype I was looking for! Guy Gardner is an absolute beast and with the ability to go +1 for each other attacking die, he's going to be a 5+ attacking 2- character that is practically free to field. His damage potential even beats out Tsarina for Big Entrance shenanigans! I really cannot wait to see four 7/4's rushing my opponent's face with Doomcaliber Knight's protection. Even a Mera global can't save you now!
    Provided he goes unblocked of course. Funnily enough, I JUST posted a Tsarina team using big entrance and new support about 20 seconds ago before checking these new comments lol.

really? explain please.
    I was meaning a single Mera global as 3 unblocked 7 attack characters is still lethal (also, the Big Entrance strategy requires a Red Dragon global, so even if there are two Mera globals, it's still lethal if I just use a single extra Red Dragon Global (or have an attacking sidekick there as well).

Provided he goes unblocked of course. Funnily enough, I JUST posted a Tsarina team using big entrance and new support about 20 seconds ago before checking these new comments lol.
    To make sure of it, you bring along Relentless. Any aggro 2-cost will demolish your opponent with Big Entrance, I'm just wondering what good aggro mask characters we can pick up for the strategy since it can get bogged down if you don't roll enough fists. My best idea would be to try for an Avengers strategy with Tsarina, Nick Fury - WWII Veteran, and Hawkeye - Formerly Ronin (guaranteed 4 damage, that 2-cost makes him worthwhile since the plan is for lethal all on turn 3). There's no possible counter globals if you use Doomcaliber Knight since you do a max of 4 combat damage per character. Any Hawkeye's that don't roll faces are more relentless. Each Tsarina on the field is a minimum of 5 damage. You have to deal the full 20 damage since Hawkeye messes with the math, but It's definitely doable and less luck reliant than the 4 Guy Gardner fists.

The only things Guy Garnder has going for him over the Avengers is the outright potential to end the game with the lucky rolls and his ability to combo with Miri Riam (incredibly underrated in this post, but I got my Guy Gardner love so I'll allow it) to essentialy polymorph extra dice on the field turn 8 for something like 6 attacking dice and +5A to all Guy Gardners.

To make sure of it, you bring along Relentless. Any aggro 2-cost will demolish your opponent with Big Entrance, I'm just wondering what good aggro mask characters we can pick up for the strategy since it can get bogged down if you don't roll enough fists. My best idea would be to try for an Avengers strategy with Tsarina, Nick Fury - WWII Veteran, and Hawkeye - Formerly Ronin (guaranteed 4 damage, that 2-cost makes him worthwhile since the plan is for lethal all on turn 3). There's no possible counter globals if you use Doomcaliber Knight since you do a max of 4 combat damage per character. Any Hawkeye's that don't roll faces are more relentless. Each Tsarina on the field is a minimum of 5 damage. You have to deal the full 20 damage since Hawkeye messes with the math, but It's definitely doable and less luck reliant than the 4 Guy Gardner fists.

The only things Guy Garnder has going for him over the Avengers is the outright potential to end the game with the lucky rolls and his ability to combo with Miri Riam (incredibly underrated in this post, but I got my Guy Gardner love so I'll allow it) to essentialy polymorph extra dice on the field turn 8 for something like 6 attacking dice and +5A to all Guy Gardners.
    It's something I want to use, and I have a team where he would fit right in, but I want something like the promo owlbear to come out so I can squeeze in relentless.

It's something I want to use, and I have a team where he would fit right in, but I want something like the promo owlbear to come out so I can squeeze in relentless.
    Do you really need the pump global? The idea is to wreck early through force of numbers... You don't really have all that much extra for globals that aren't 100% necessary. In the case that you have extra energy lying around, it'd be better to take advantage of something like the Wasp global so you can close the game in the following turn.

Do you really need the pump global? The idea is to wreck early through force of numbers... You don't really have all that much extra for globals that aren't 100% necessary. In the case that you have extra energy lying around, it'd be better to take advantage of something like the Wasp global so you can close the game in the following turn.
    Check my current thread in the strategy forums if you have time, I'm currently working on something and trying to get as much feedback as possible. I like the pump global because of it's interaction with the rare lantern ring in this case.

Like most newcomers to DM I gain a lot of information from the internet; this excellent review for example. I see a lot of growing "control" and actions seem to play a large part. I see you highlighted Bleez: Controlled Rage as a potential help with this. But, and here finally is my point, Prismatic Spray: Lesser Spell seems to be immune from Controlled Rage as it's "when fielded" effect would not trigger. Firstly, am I correct, and secondly is there a better card in this set (or previous ones) to remove the Prismatic Spray: Lesser Spell effect?
    Thanks,
    Graham....

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post
    Like most newcomers to DM I gain a lot of information from the internet; this excellent review for example. I see a lot of growing "control" and actions seem to play a large part. I see you highlighted Bleez: Controlled Rage as a potential help with this. But, and here finally is my point, Prismatic Spray: Lesser Spell seems to be immune from Controlled Rage as it's "when fielded" effect would not trigger. Firstly, am I correct, and secondly is there a better card in this set (or previous ones) to remove the Prismatic Spray: Lesser Spell effect?
    Thanks,
    Graham....
    First, prismatic spray is played during your opponents turn, wiping all card text from your characters. I don't see how you're going to cancel it with any characters.
    Secondly, for arguably better stats and a much easier to acquire card, the common Breaker the Magical Warrior works very well for removing actions.

First, prismatic spray is played during your opponents turn, wiping all card text from your characters. I don't see how you're going to cancel it with any characters.
    Secondly, for arguably better stats and a much easier to acquire card, the common Breaker the Magical Warrior works very well for removing actions.

Thanks Osprey. So, as you point out, if my opponent has a Spray in play, when I field Breaker the Magical Warrior won't that card's text be blank also? I assume summoned = fielded. I've seen a few cards recommended for removing actions (like Cerebro or Imprisoned), but I've not yet seen on affective on Spray.

Thanks Osprey. So, as you point out, if my opponent has a Spray in play, when I field Breaker the Magical Warrior won't that card's text be blank also? I assume summoned = fielded. I've seen a few cards recommended for removing actions (like Cerebro or Imprisoned), but I've not yet seen on affective on Spray.
    It won't be blank when you field breaker/bleez, my point was that they can't be fielded at all to cancel the action die effect since it's played during your opponents turn.
    Summoned does = fielded, the main thing about breaker is that he has better stats and a lower fielding cost for removing continuous actions.

prismatic spray is not a continuous die. it does not stay "in play".
    when it's used, it does its thing, and then goes to transition/out of play.

prismatic spray is not a continuous die. it does not stay "in play".
    when it's used, it does its thing, and then goes to transition/out of play.
    Exactly right.

This is clunky to digest, not having all the cards in the article itself.

#entitled #crankyMorning