Thread: Common Starfire

Common Starfire

Could someone give me a little insight on how common Stafire's ability works? I think I get it but I'd love to have something to cite if this ability is misused.

The common Starfire reads "When fielded, deal 1 damage to target opponent for each of your active Teen Titans."

1. Does this mean dice or active characters?

2. Does this include Starfire?

3. Does Starfire trigger this effect if she is fielded and becomes the only Teen Titan in the field?

I got pinged for some damage in case number three at a recent draft and it didn't make sense to me.

"active" means "count unique characters only".

And yes, the ability triggers after she enters the field, so she counts herself.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydishes View Post
    3. Does Starfire trigger this effect if she is fielded and becomes the only Teen Titan in the field?
    The key here, as I see it, this is, as per custom, a "When fielded" effect, not a (hypothetical) "When fielding". That phrasing indicates the effect doesn't happen until after the die is fielded. As characters are considered active immediately upon their first die being fielded, Starfire is active by the time the effect resolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of 'L's View Post
    The key here, as I see it, this is, as per custom, a "When fielded" effect, not a (hypothetical) "When fielding". That phrasing indicates the effect doesn't happen until after the die is fielded. As characters are considered active immediately upon their first die being fielded, Starfire is active by the time the effect resolves.
    Actually, the hypothetical "When fielding" effect would have to occur after she is fielded anyway.

There is no stack in this game.

All effects, other than redirection and reduction effects, can only trigger or be triggered after the current effect has completely resolved.

This is really important in understanding and answering some of the more subtle timing questions in the game.

To make sure I have this straight in my mind...

1. I have nothing in my field. I field Starfire. I deal 1 damage to my opponent.

2. I have 1 Starfire in the field. I field another Starfire. I deal 1 damage to my opponent.

3. I have 4 Ravens in the field. I field 1 Starfire. I deal 2 damage to my opponent.

4. I have 4 Ravens in the field. I field 1 Starfire. I deal 2 damage to opponent. I field a second Starfire, with 4 Ravens and 1 Starfire already in the field. I deal 2 more damage to my opponent.

Thanks for helping me clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    To make sure I have this straight in my mind...

1. I have nothing in my field. I field Starfire. I deal 1 damage to my opponent.

2. I have 1 Starfire in the field. I field another Starfire. I deal 1 damage to my opponent.

3. I have 4 Ravens in the field. I field 1 Starfire. I deal 2 damage to my opponent.

4. I have 4 Ravens in the field. I field 1 Starfire. I deal 2 damage to opponent. I field a second Starfire, with 4 Ravens and 1 Starfire already in the field. I deal 2 more damage to my opponent.

Thanks for helping me clarify.
    All 4 correct.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    All 4 correct.
    Thanks PK!