Thread: Vassal for IOS?

Vassal for IOS?

Anyone know if it is possible for me to play vassal on my IPad?

I've tried to do some net searching on the topic and all I can find are forum posts that are 2-3 years old and nothing definitive.

I actually don't own a desktop and I just use my work laptop for all my computing needs. I don't have admin access on the laptop, so I can't install anything on that machine. This leaves me with my iPad as my only online play option, so I'm hoping I can figure something out.

I'm jonesin' for some Dice Masters action...anyone got any tips for me?

2015 Canadian and 2016 US National Champion

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    Bummer. Not available in the US App Store.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthomash2 View Post
    Bummer. Not available in the US App Store.
    Ah... "But, OnLive is a US-based service..." was my first thought...

So...

http://onlive.com/

Sony has acquired important parts of OnLive. Due to the sale, all OnLive services were discontinued as of April 30, 2015.
    Well, that might explain it!

Bummer indeed.

Alright, I have had some interest in making something like this happen. And a quick look a few months ago let me a little bit swamped. Needless to say there are a LOT of issues in making this work correctly. So I started looking for alternatives, and have implemented a couple of things in the Vassal Module that improves this but nothing is 100%.

SO, if you want to Play Vassal on an IOS device, you need a Remote Desktop like VNC, LogMeIn, or just a straight up RDP session from a PC. This will give you desktop access to the Vassal app, with the touch interface of the local iOS app. I am using PocketCloud on the iOS app to provide the Client app to connect to my desktop. However, Reflections also works great for Linux based systems. IT is a bit of a hack but it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    Alright, I have had some interest in making something like this happen. And a quick look a few months ago let me a little bit swamped. Needless to say there are a LOT of issues in making this work correctly. So I started looking for alternatives, and have implemented a couple of things in the Vassal Module that improves this but nothing is 100%.

SO, if you want to Play Vassal on an IOS device, you need a Remote Desktop like VNC, LogMeIn, or just a straight up RDP session from a PC. This will give you desktop access to the Vassal app, with the touch interface of the local iOS app. I am using PocketCloud on the iOS app to provide the Client app to connect to my desktop. However, Reflections also works great for Linux based systems. IT is a bit of a hack but it does work.
    Yeah...thanks for the advice here...much appreciated. Unfortunately, your solution requires me to also have Vassal on my desktop, which isn't doable in my situation at present. So it looks like I'm stuck for now. Maybe I just need to go out and get myself a proper personal computer...

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    Yeah...thanks for the advice here...much appreciated. Unfortunately, your solution requires me to also have Vassal on my desktop, which isn't doable in my situation at present. So it looks like I'm stuck for now. Maybe I just need to go out and get myself a proper personal computer...
    Well I am not sure what you would consider a 'proper personal computer', Vassal has a Linux tarball and will run on openjdk. This means, that a small computer like a Raspberry Pi 2 can run this app and a minimal desktop with VNC no problem. $35 dollars for the Raspberry Pi, hook it up to your TV at home, add WIFI, Weaved and your golden. Also, the RPi2 can run a version of Windows, which has a JRE installation and can run Vassal as well.