Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WOL Homebrew time, a concept

WOL Homebrew time, a concept

This popped into my head today while I was thinking about how to best use the new rare Lantern Ring card, and this monstrosity started to take form. I will present the prototype V1 of this team, name TBA.

Name:  101699.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  25.7 KBName:  DCDM2_05SuperRare-135-LanternBattery_Power-Source-215x300.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  105.2 KBName:  DCDM2_04Rare-118-LanternRing_Limited-Only-By-Imagination-215x300.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  108.7 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCDM2_01Starter-025-BAC_Big-Entrance.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	3152

This team is nowhere near final, but I really like the idea I have here. Use red dragon for a damage and to grab a big entrance early on to make mass purchases of Tsarinas very cheap, then pick up a rare lantern ring with red dragon again, doing more damage, and start chucking Tsarinas on board.

The idea here, is to attack with your tsarinas triggering as many as possible for damage. Lantern ring will ensure that your tsarinas that rolled energy will hit for guaranteed damage when you declare your attackers and your opponent declares any blockers. Then, after lantern ring has triggered, you can pay your fists for the anger issues global and pump any unblocked characters for even MORE damage.

Hulk is easy to get to, being a fist and can provide some character removal when we need it to ensure the tsarina tsunami drowns your opponent in the saltiest of seas, and provides some control. I chose to go with jade giant instead of goliath because this team is weak to the green goliath variant, and jade giant is a more suitable counter. This may change if I don't like it though. This also may be replaced by the common loki.

Wasp dual purposes here, because of the direct damage nature of this team, putting a wasp on the board can ensure that your opponent will really be pressed for time and life. The global can give you game ending damage if you need it, or it can be used to trigger your hulk.

Red dragon is fairly obvious, get your big entrance, get your non-basic actions for cheaper and get some free damage in there.

PXG is necessary to keep the pace at a breakneck speed. Wasp founding avenger will help mitigate the downsides of our opponent using it, because they will already be pressed for life.

BEWD, another fixer, this time for characters. Helps us get to anything 3 cost+ easily, especially early game if an unwanted sidekick shows up.

Lantern battery will probably not stay, but I like the idea of comboing it with the lantern ring to make a lot of damage go through.

Anger issues gives us something good to do with our fists after we trigger our lantern ring. It will be replaced as soon as the promo owlbear arrives in favour of a more defensive BAC.

While I really like playing with the Teen Titans, this idea is far more captivating, and I want to refine it as much as possible, so I decided to post my idea here for discussion. Let me know what you think of it.

EDIT: Feedback taken in, starter Guy Gardener Blinding Rage will probably replace Tsarina, but I:

1. Want to do more testing.
    2. Would like the promo owlbear to come out so I can throw a relentless in here in place of anger issues.

Still taking ideas of course! Lantern battery will probably come out too.
    Last edited by Osprey; 09-19-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Hey cool team, i am tinker with the same idea Right NOW in VASSAL! ^^ So if you want come and get me.

You should think about Guy Gardner - Blinding Rage(boost himselfs, suicider with great potential)

or

Dex-Starr - I Good Kitty (Field him, get +1A on him, Attack with him +1A again + Ring + Anger Issues...)

How are you going to ping hulk?
    I dont think you need lantern battery. With Hulk out, they are less likely to attack. Maybe Slifer Rare? The Lanter ring makes more sense considering you aggro with Black Widows.

Quote Originally Posted by VastSpartan View Post
    I dont think you need lantern battery. With Hulk out, they are less likely to attack. Maybe Slifer Rare? The Lanter ring makes more sense considering you aggro with Black Widows.
    Rare wasp global can ping hulk. I don't want to use slifer because it becomes too easy to murder my widows.

I dont think I need lantern battery either, but I feel like trying it out. As I mentioned, it will probably come out.

Hey cool team, i am tinker with the same idea Right NOW in VASSAL! ^^ So if you want come and get me.

You should think about Guy Gardner - Blinding Rage(boost himselfs, suicider with great potential)

or

Dex-Starr - I Good Kitty (Field him, get +1A on him, Attack with him +1A again + Ring + Anger Issues...)
    I thought about them, but they can easily be chump blocked and I don't want to have to buy anger issues per se. Tsarina doesn't absokutely have to attack, has a great low TFC and can put a lot of damage on board by herself.

Well also this ideas depends on how the Ring will be ruled, damage for every die with matched symbol or only 1 damage per Symbol of the 4 that matches the attacker.

I would love to see the first option, so that people think about taking Captain America within their teams(and he is also fist)

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    Well also this ideas depends on how the Ring will be ruled, damage for every die with matched symbol or only 1 damage per Symbol of the 4 that matches the attacker.

I would love to see the first option, so that people think about taking Captain America within their teams(and he is also fist)
    If it doesn't count unique characters, it could be a little gamebreaking.

I forgot about the low defense of the Black Widows.

Also, Wasp Global can only be used once per turn. Just a reminder. Better off with Jade Giant. Green Goliath needs one or two pings. Unless they bring a magic missile.

I forgot about the low defense of the Black Widows.

Also, Wasp Global can only be used once per turn. Just a reminder
    I am aware of that, which is another reason for my choice of jade giant.

Ever think about Millennium Puzzle instead of Blue Eyes? That Red Dragon comes in handy

Ever think about Millennium Puzzle instead of Blue Eyes? That Red Dragon comes in handy
    I did, but blue-eyes and red dragon do two separate things. BEWD fixes sidekicks, which can sink you after your reroll step in the early game. As for millenium puzzle, I think hulk is a little more potent in this case because it provides a big body on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    I did, but blue-eyes and red dragon do two separate things. BEWD fixes sidekicks, which can sink you after your reroll step in the early game. As for millenium puzzle, I think hulk is a little more potent in this case because it provides a big body on the board.
    So what would you switch out Lantern Battery for? Johnny Storm? Get those pings off to wipe the board with JG? Same four cost

So what would you switch out Lantern Battery for? Johnny Storm? Get those pings off to wipe the board with JG? Same four cost
    Cards I've considered have been johnny storm, constantine and jocasta for that slot.

Cards I've considered have been johnny storm, constantine and jocasta for that slot.
    I would go for Johnny Storm. Tsarina already does a possible 2 damage just attacking. Her low fielding cost with Johnny out plus Jade Giant being pinged wiping some of the board (exclude SK's since they cant spin down) is devastating. Constantine doesn't really fit because this deck's so aggressive.

Okay, I see what's going on here. You're forgoing the 3-TKO setup for more consistency and a variety of burn cards to provide backup to a failed rush. I think this has major potential, but I don't quite see what you're going to do against a team that's built for a more streamlined rush down with Big Entrance. Without any early support, you flat out lose the early game to a more aggro build. Also, I think the combination Lantern Ring and Lantern Battery is overkill. Ditching one of them frees up a slot for you to play around with while keeping the same aggro nature (and honestly, when are you going to find the time to dedicate 6 energy for action dice?).

I would go for Johnny Storm. Tsarina already does a possible 2 damage just attacking. With Jade Giant out being pinged from Johnny wiping some of the board (exclude SK's since they cant spin down) attacking with Black Widows is devastating already.
    Yes, I do like that plan there. It's either him or Jocasta.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    Okay, I see what's going on here. You're forgoing the 3-TKO setup for more consistency and a variety of burn cards to provide backup to a failed rush. I think this has major potential, but I don't quite see what you're going to do against a team that's built for a more streamlined rush down with Big Entrance. Without any early support, you flat out lose the early game to a more aggro build. Also, I think the combination Lantern Ring and Lantern Battery is overkill. Ditching one of them frees up a slot for you to play around with while keeping the same aggro nature (and honestly, when are you going to find the time to dedicate 6 energy for action dice?).
    As I have said, it will end up coming out. I suppose I just put it there because I felt like it should exist in some team I have, but it'll probably end up like Thanos for a bit and sit in the binder for a while. To counter the early rush down, I've been considering Jocasta, just to put something on the board that says "you don't want to attack me". What do you think?

Yes, I do like that plan there. It's either him or Jocasta.

As I have said, it will end up coming out. I suppose I just put it there because I felt like it should exist in some team I have, but it'll probably end up like Thanos for a bit and sit in the binder for a while. To counter the early rush down, I've been considering Jocasta, just to put something on the board that says "you don't want to attack me". What do you think?
    I dont think anyone wants to attack when there's a hulk sitting on the field. Did you think about Joscasta being pinged from your own Wasp Global?

Do you mind taking a look at my thread post? Control Through Brute Force

I think Jocasta is a great answer to big bodies, but she's a lot more difficult to leverage now that Human Paladin can counter her. The biggest issue she has is that if you don't protect her, a single Relentless hobbles her and if you do protect her with Human Paladin, her effect is near worthless.

I think the best idea would be to put Mera on the team. This gives you an auto-win against the Wolverine aggro and doesn't hurt you in the slightest since you're not doing massive combat damage, but rather higher burn. It's effectively a Distraction + Millenium Puzzle in global form that can't be used against you or protected from, it's just perfect (Mera also helps against a variety of other beatsticks as well *cough* Guy Gardner *cough*). This makes it so you still lose the early aggro matchup against a supported Avengers rush, but may have a decent shot against Guy Gardner's blitz and you can squeeze in a turn 4-5 win against just about anything else because of your crazy burn and heavy aggro combo.I'm not entirely sure how well you'd do against a speedy burn team, but I suspect that you'd be able to setup and blitz out faster than your opponent given the speed of this team.

I dont think anyone wants to attack when there's a hulk sitting on the field. Did you think about Joscasta being pinged from your own Wasp Global?

Do you mind taking a look at my thread post? Control Through Brute Force
    That is a good point. Johnny storm it is. Of course I'll look it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromanticer View Post
    I think Jocasta is a great answer to big bodies, but she's a lot more difficult to leverage now that Human Paladin can counter her. The biggest issue she has is that if you don't protect her, a single Relentless hobbles her and if you do protect her with Human Paladin, her effect is near worthless.

I think the best idea would be to put Mera on the team. This gives you an auto-win against the Wolverine aggro and doesn't hurt you in the slightest since you're not doing massive combat damage, but rather higher burn. It's effectively a Distraction + Millenium Puzzle in global form that can't be used against you or protected from, it's just perfect (Mera also helps against a variety of other beatsticks as well *cough* Guy Gardner *cough*). This makes it so you still lose the early aggro matchup against a supported Avengers rush, but may have a decent shot against Guy Gardner's blitz and you can squeeze in a turn 4-5 win against just about anything else because of your crazy burn and heavy aggro combo.I'm not entirely sure how well you'd do against a speedy burn team, but I suspect that you'd be able to setup and blitz out faster than your opponent given the speed of this team.
    This is exactly why I asked for your input.

That is a good point. Johnny storm it is. Of course I'll look it over.
    I laughed pretty hard when "Johnny Storm it is"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCDM2_02Common-057-Mera_Queen-of-Atlantis.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	248.4 KB 
ID:	3162Name:  DCDM2_04Rare-118-LanternRing_Limited-Only-By-Imagination-215x300.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  108.7 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DCDM2_01Starter-025-BAC_Big-Entrance.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	3161

Current prototype V2 of the list, so thread doesn't get derailed by repeat questions/suggestions later on.

Also @Necromanticer , the solution to speedy burn is to turbo in a couple of hulk dice and plop them onto the board. Yes, it can get wiped by prismatic spray/loki, but we can't have counters to everything with only 10 cards to work with of course. Besides, this is essentially a speedy burn team :P

OK now this team looks like , it doesnt need the ring and the Anger Issue Global also is not so much the winfactor here.
    Sorry for the salt ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Ressless View Post
    OK now this team looks like , it doesnt need the ring and the Anger Issue Global also is not so much the winfactor here.
    Sorry for the salt ^^
    I'd disagree, to make Tsarina workable currently, I think we do need that extra push we can get each turn. Especially because the ring can just sit there and make attack with one Tsarina a turn for anywhere from 1 or 2, to even up to lets say 11 damage, if you had 8 dice, which will tend to happen. It just depends on how many fists you get. Not to mention if we go for a turn 1 big entrance and pxg (using red dragon), turn 2 use entrance for tsarina and red dragon for lantern ring to buy it for 2 energy total. We would have 6 dice at this point if we got 1 pxg use. 1 would be entrance, so 5 energy. 1 energy for tsarina, 2 for ring leaving us with 3 for pxg/bewd for ramp. if we got 2 pxg's off, turn 3 we would end up with 8 dice. Put Tsarina on board, put ring on board, 6 dice left. The more fists we have, the more damage is going through from a single 2 cost character. At this point, she could hit for 2-3 damage if unblocked, +2 damage if her effect triggers, +1 damage PER fist energy in reserve from ring, +1 damage per fist energy used to pump. if we got lucky and had, say 3-4 fists, maybe more if we bought 2 tsarinas and rolled double energy, thats an extra 6 to 8 damage on top of things for a total of something crazy like 10+ damage.

I know it sounds wishy-washy, but theroyalfalcon and I will be doing some serious testing tomorrow.

EDIT: Somebody let me know if I'm insane, after typing this out I feel somewhat crazy lol. It doesn't feel like a super optimal scenario, especially because Tsarina has the habit of self purchasing herself with double fist energy.