Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How are your Rainbow Draft Weekends going?

How are your Rainbow Draft Weekends going?

Went to one today (well, two techinically, for each prize kit), and am judging/hosting/playing again at one (two, again, one for each prize kit) tomorrow.

First event was for the DC kit. Both drafts used all WoL I am going to re-iterate how much I hate when people judge that, if time is called, and turns are gone to, one person has 15 life and one person has 11, and the person with 15 life is called the winner. I don't care if Wizkids rules technically say otherwise... we all know how much they say and how much they actually get right, etc... Same judge was ready to let going to turns mean that instead of when time is called, active player is turn 0, be turn 1 instead, until five minutes of talking and him shuffling through the rulebook, by the time it was "real" turn 3 or so. Great judge and players, otherwise, I just really, really hate that rule, and make a point to let people know that unless someone has reached 0 life, nobody has won, and the game is going to be a tie; it creates this scenario where certain archetypes are just much better, even if they wouldn't win a full game, and encourages playing "to the clock" so to speak... basically, going in for one quick tiny hit and just holing up until five turns have gone by. What happened was, and again, not upset with the judge or the player if they're reading this - the judge was just going by what he had to go by, which is the stupid rules, and the player was playing to win, but my opponent won the first game in best of three, in the first of three rounds of 50 minutes each, in an about 35 minute game. Next game I won in like, 14 and a half minutes. As my opponent is starting his first turn of game three, time is called, and he becomes player 0. To be honest, if I was judging, I would've pulled it right there and called a tie, as this obviously isn't a real game being played - but again, there are all sorts of "correct" decisions here, and I begrudge nobody but "the system, man." It was just a bummer because for the next two games I went 2-0 each round without losing a game, and then he actually did tie with somebody else after each going 1-1, and then going to turns in game 3. It was a little annoying, because I think even with a tie I would've still ended up as second place, but I could've gotten a Robin, also, which is a card I freaks with. Fortunately, Aquaman is my most used card of EVERYTHING they have full arts of.

Anyway, second (Marvel) event only had 4 instead of 6 or maybe even 8 people. After the end of the second round, where I was the only person 2-0, the judge asked if everyone was cool (it had been a long day); of course I was - I was automatically first, but actually, before speaking, everyone else spoke up saying they were tired enough and done. I definitely got on board with that, as I'd driven over 40 minutes out to this event, and wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Also, the judge was super cool and gave everyone that stayed for the second draft second copies of the Iron First blank/full art and Batman blank/full art cards, plus another die each, with is awesome, since I'm going to another event tomorrow (I'm judging), so I'll have at least three of each - more if we don't have 20 people at each event, which I unfortunately don't see happening We'll probably have enough to give everyone two, as well, but again, I'll need to wait and see. As it is, we have 10 people signed up for the earlier (12:30) draft, less for the 4 pm one.

Anyway, I also pulled a Parallax in my packs I opened for my first two stacks for the first draft, which I definitely pulled, and then after the judge finished passing out the packs for the second draft and we'd opened, he mentioned there were only 13 left (second GF of a case), and since only 3 SRs had been pulled in total, I immediately said I'll buy it, and nobody else expressed any interest, so after the first or second round before everyone finished playing I went and bought and opened them, finding a couple more rares (only got 2 from both drafts, since I never draft for rarity unless there's an sr) and a (non full-art) BL Superman, which is awesome, because I only needed him, BL Batman, and the SR Lantern Battery to finish the set.

I love the WoL set, honestly. It's so freaking fun, and fun LOOKING.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RDW_All.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	3156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RDW_Full_Art.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	3157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RDW_Part.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	3158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RDW_WoL_Pulls.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	3159

Went to 2 today (and planning for one tomorrow) and had a blast. First draft was JCU with 16 people and then next store we did a YuGiOh draft with 18 people.
    Pretty sure we'll be hearing about it on the next Dice Anon podcast as a couple of those guys were there and were discussing that the next podcast (sorry the spoilers ).

We had an 8 person AOU Marvel draft today in Madison, 3 rounds of swiss tightly contested.

One player ended 3-0 and a few of us as 2-1. I ended in 3rd from SoS losing to the 2nd place finisher getting him to 1 health.

Afterwards 7 of the players stuck around and did a War of Light draft (to get a second set of Iron Fists). Here I went 3-0 it was a blast.

I think we saw SR Gladiator and Captain Universe for AOU and then SR Parallax for WOL.

Tomorrow is the WoL DC draft at the store for batmobile dice

SoCal had a GREAT first day.

Started with a 'twilight' draft late Friday/early Saturday at The Guild House. There were 8 players and we drafted the UXM set. The OP kit was DC. We had three of the World Championship top 16 players participating (who also played in the subsequent draft events later in the day). Since there was a small number, each player got 2 Batmobile prizes.

The second event was Saturday at 11AM (PST) at Comic Cult. We had 16 players and we drafted the Justice League set. The OP kit was Marvel.

The third event started at 4PM at Comic Hero University. We had 18 players (I TO'd/judged this event so I did not play) and we drafted the Yu-Gi-Oh set. The OP kit was DC (we had to use 2 kits due to the number of players, so the first & second place finishers each received a Joker). Almost everyone received an alt art card (I put the cards for the TO/judge into the prize pool for the other players) and the two players that went 0-3 each got to pick a card from the several past OP kits we've played. BTW - there were only 7 players that participated in both the 2nd and 3rd events.

We held a late night OP event with only a few players (who had the stamina to participate) and used the Marvel OP kit for prizes. We drafted from the War of Light set.

Now to bed for a few hours sleep before the Sunday event at Brookhurst Hobbies - there are 10 registered for this event.

For those nay-sayers that rail about the game dying off, from SoCal USA, it's booming!!!

Went to the Draft Weekend in Burbank CA, and they had 7 players for the DC draft and I believe 4 for the Marvel draft.

I ended up in first place with a very TT focused team in the War of Light draft to take home the Joker prize AND I managed to pull a Black Lantern Aquaman in my packs (which I drafted first of course :P )

I'm fairly new to the game and had a TON of fun playing. I would have stuck around for the Marvel Draft had I not been super tired after that and didn't need to get home soon.

Other than not playing in the second draft, the event was very cool, everyone was chill, had a few new drafters, and lots of cool combos coming out of the struggles with drafting characters.

Looking forward to whenever the next event is.

Had a great experience and discovered an INSANE combo that others probably already found. I drafted a Parallax, several low-cost bolts (including uncommon Fatality!!! and common Jade) with Resurrection and Magic Missile as BAC. I had prepped a die, MMed my own Jade at end of my opponent's turn to prep her and a die from my bag and a couple of other dice I had chumped with. I hit three dice on double bolt. Spun down one die to pay for Magic Missile, did it again and then spun the third die down to reroll the dice in my Reserve Pool (at the time I didn't realize I could reroll dice in my field zone, too). Rinse, lather, repeat. I wiped my opponent's board and swung in for the win. Had I realized I could do it with my field zone, too, I would have been able to send Fatality's ability at my opponent's head repeatedly.

Saturday draft night at Realms in Elkhart, IN. 15 players showed up. We stopped after 3 rounds due to 1 player being 3-0 and being almost midnight. I was not the 3-0, I was 0-3! Drafted a 3 Teen Titan combo, Starfire, Princess of Tamaran for direct damage, Raven, Trigon's heir, to bring back ko'd die and Wonder Girl, Cassie Sandsmark to help prevent targeting my Titans. Drafted Jade, Jennifer-Lynn Hayden and Parallax, Source of Terror for ramp, and as a finisher, Supergirl, Angry Alien. It would work a little here and there, the Titans never seemed to be out together to synergize. Couldn't get Jade to churn enough and when I did get Parallax out, he would not roll a face. Supergirl was no problem getting out and using, most times my oppents had enough blockers to either cancel her effect or knock the damage down to 1 or 2.

I will say I had a fun, especially helping some of the ones that aren't great players realize what their die could do and how they worked together. Really hate Saint, since I had Jade, he had what he needed to smack me.

2 more drafts today, I'll see what I learned. Gary

Quote Originally Posted by cbone3 View Post
    Had a great experience and discovered an INSANE combo that others probably already found. I drafted a Parallax, several low-cost bolts (including uncommon Fatality!!! and common Jade) with Resurrection and Magic Missile as BAC. I had prepped a die, MMed my own Jade at end of my opponent's turn to prep her and a die from my bag and a couple of other dice I had chumped with. I hit three dice on double bolt. Spun down one die to pay for Magic Missile, did it again and then spun the third die down to reroll the dice in my Reserve Pool (at the time I didn't realize I could reroll dice in my field zone, too). Rinse, lather, repeat. I wiped my opponent's board and swung in for the win. Had I realized I could do it with my field zone, too, I would have been able to send Fatality's ability at my opponent's head repeatedly.
    Just FYI, dice that are spun down to pay for something are then ineligible to be re-rolled. :-)

Had my first one yesterday, we drafted JL for the DC prize kit. I pulled a SR Flash, but passed on a ton of Rares to try and actually build a winning team. We had 12 people show up, so 2 draft pods.

Couldn't get a common Cheetah to save my life, but did manage to pull Uncommon Red Tornado for great churn, Common Firestorm, 1 UC Cheetah for a cheap bolt to field, and UC Black Manta for Retaliation.

Lost my first game to @pishposh , who did manage to get common cheetah along with common firestorm and fielded 3 cheetah dice in one turn for 12 damage to finish me off. The rest of my games went much better and I went 3-1. @pishposh won his first 3 games and played the other guy who was 3-0 at that point, but lost. So he took 2nd and I took 3rd based on SOS.

Had a ton of fun and can't wait for my next one Monday night!

Event has not reached the arctic wasteland of Canada yet. We think the mailman tried to bring it the other day, but he may have gotten buried in a snowstorm. Our team of polar bears has been staging a rescue operation ever since to find those cards, but so far, no amount of Tim Hortons or maple syrup has been able to break through the hard layer of permafrost we believe he ended up in.

Will post updates as they come.

Had an awesome time yesterday. We did two drafts (both half WoL and half whatever you want). There were 8 people so 2 picked JLA, 2 picked Uncanny and the rest were AoU. It was crazy fun...and I ended up going 2-0 in each draft so I won 1st overall. The first draft I played 8 cards with one die on each...but they had such crazy synergy (3 Teen Titans and the Starfire that does 1 Damage for each Teen Titan and then I had the unblockable Namor). It worked ridiculously well as I just built a wall and did direct damage for the wins. Second draft I got the sidekick pumping Phil Coulson and someone passed me the Falcon that makes your sidekicks unblockable. That was pretty much the end of that. Overall it was a super fun event. I hope WizKids does more like it.

Give me the why on that. As we were talking about it, we all thought it was too good to be true, but could come-up with why it wouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogonjdevil View Post
    Had an awesome time yesterday. We did two drafts (both half WoL and half whatever you want). There were 8 people so 2 picked JLA, 2 picked Uncanny and the rest were AoU. It was crazy fun...and I ended up going 2-0 in each draft so I won 1st overall. The first draft I played 8 cards with one die on each...but they had such crazy synergy (3 Teen Titans and the Starfire that does 1 Damage for each Teen Titan and then I had the unblockable Namor). It worked ridiculously well as I just built a wall and did direct damage for the wins. Second draft I got the sidekick pumping Phil Coulson and someone passed me the Falcon that makes your sidekicks unblockable. That was pretty much the end of that. Overall it was a super fun event. I hope WizKids does more like it.
    This is why I can't stand when judges allow Dice Masters drafts. Not drafting the most recent set, or at least all drafting the same set, is just rude. Like, why do you want to dilute the dice pool? You're just going to make it so that nobody can have more than 10 dice per team at best, and sure, it's fair and even all around, but it just makes the game less fun.

One of the rules that Wizkids should add is that unless it's a sealed, all packs have to be the same set. If you're in a sealed and have 15 packs and want to buy 3 each from 5 different sets, that's your problem, but buying multiple sets that go into one draft pod? It literally just creates a less fun game state for EVERYBODY.

I LITERALLY had to bribe this kid yesterday into buying all WoL for the draft, instead of half Justice League and half WoL, by telling him he could have all of my dupe dice and cards from JL that he wanted. Fortunately, I was already planning on letting him go through all of my dupes, as I offer to everyone, so that I reclaim my space (the deck-cases and plastic container I have my dupe dice in cost more than the actual C/U cards, and dice over 4/5 that I have. Everywhere I go I bring my extras and beg people to take as much as they want to from me, and normally I wouldn't leverage a nice thing like that into something I personally/selfishly wanted; but... there's so much I just deleted that I typed up because I didn't want to be accused of being negative or mean, even though they were literally just facts and direct relations of things he said/did, but trying to explain the concept of a diluted draft pool, whether he agreed with me or not on it making the game less fun, wouldn't have gotten through, for whatever reason.

Anyway, yeah, I really can't stand multiple sets in a draft pool. It needs to be stopped being allowed, everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SlapsterMcFlash View Post
    This is why I can't stand when judges allow Dice Masters drafts. Not drafting the most recent set, or at least all drafting the same set, is just rude. Like, why do you want to dilute the dice pool? You're just going to make it so that nobody can have more than 10 dice per team at best, and sure, it's fair and even all around, but it just makes the game less fun.

One of the rules that Wizkids should add is that unless it's a sealed, all packs have to be the same set. If you're in a sealed and have 15 packs and want to buy 3 each from 5 different sets, that's your problem, but buying multiple sets that go into one draft pod? It literally just creates a less fun game state for EVERYBODY.

I LITERALLY had to bribe this kid yesterday into buying all WoL for the draft, instead of half Justice League and half WoL, by telling him he could have all of my dupe dice and cards from JL that he wanted. Fortunately, I was already planning on letting him go through all of my dupes, as I offer to everyone, so that I reclaim my space (the deck-cases and plastic container I have my dupe dice in cost more than the actual C/U cards, and dice over 4/5 that I have. Everywhere I go I bring my extras and beg people to take as much as they want to from me, and normally I wouldn't leverage a nice thing like that into something I personally/selfishly wanted; but... there's so much I just deleted that I typed up because I didn't want to be accused of being negative or mean, even though they were literally just facts and direct relations of things he said/did, but trying to explain the concept of a diluted draft pool, whether he agreed with me or not on it making the game less fun, wouldn't have gotten through, for whatever reason.

Anyway, yeah, I really can't stand multiple sets in a draft pool. It needs to be stopped being allowed, everywhere.
    It doesn't need to stop being allowed per se, it makes for an interesting, different type of event. It does need to be made clear to people beforehand what type of drafting is acceptable though. For example, whether an event will be a mixed draft or a single draft. This is not necessarily a wizkids problem, but an organizer problem.

Believe me...I hear ya. I HATE mixed drafts. But that being said, the store didn't have enough WoL feeds for 2 drafts with everyone doing WoL. I like that they did six and six though. I went to one draft where it was a free for all. One kid bought 3 JL, 3 Yugioh, 3 Uncanny and 3 AoU. Then someone else did the same except bought DND instead of Yugioh. It was a nightmare. No synergy whatsoever and whoever lucked out into having a breath weapon won.

I actually had characters with multiple dice on them...but ended up going with the one die on each card because the team had the most synergy...and it worked.

I couldn't disagree more. Mixing sets allows for diversity in draft strategy and infuses life into older sets. When draft is as prevalent as it is, drafting the newest set can get old quick (still burnt out from all the JL and AoU drafts). Yesterday I got to draft YGO/D&D (introduces really strong fist team and even stronger dragon team) and JL/AoU (bolts can get insane with the addition of the two costers from AoU). By presenting more cards it also allows for each player to hone in on his or her own draft strategy with a lower risk of someone else honing in on the same.

In the end, stores should do what the players want and players should vote with their feet. As a TO, I wouldn't force this on people, but the reception has been almost uniformly positive.

One thing I will add though is that my drafts yesterday were all 18 packs, which does help the dice dilution issue. But most people still ended up with 20 dice even with those dice being split over two sets.

----------

Back on track:
    I went to three yesterday. 14, 12 and 9 people. Two more drafts today. The event is being very well received and I hope WK does it again BUT ONLY IF THEY DO DIFFERENT PROMO CARDS AND DICE! Maybe once every six months?
    Last edited by Indy Mon; 09-20-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cbone3 View Post
    Give me the why on that. As we were talking about it, we all thought it was too good to be true, but could come-up with why it wouldn't work.
    It's explicitly stated in the UXM and BFF rulebooks. On my phone so I can't easily cut & paste text.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Mon View Post
    Back on track:
    I went to three yesterday. 14, 12 and 9 people. Two more drafts today. The event is being very well received and I hope WK does it again BUT ONLY IF THEY DO DIFFERENT PROMO CARDS AND DICE! Maybe once every six months?
    I agree, maybe every 6 months with new cards/dice, maybe only one IP instead of 2?
    Last edited by pk2317; 09-21-2015 at 12:28 AM.

We had our DC WoL Rainbow Draft today attended by 6.

The table pulled a SR Wonder Woman and Starfire and both saw the field.

Things we learned:

Teen Titan with Uncommon Warth is a legit draft strat. Using Big Entrance you can end up with a Beast Boy and Raven on turn 3. Warth UC just sacs himself if you only have titans out and helps you cycle the bag. His highest fielding cost is one so assuming you rolled energy with his bonus dice he pays for him self. Combo this with Big entrance and you have some turns where you purchase 2-3 titans and place them in the bag!

He seems like a legit card to fit into any non WOL or non lantern constructed. An interesting form of ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by ONEone78 View Post
    terribly, none of our OP stuff showed up.
    But that's good, now all us Madison people can attend them locally and still come out to Game Universe in October

Quote Originally Posted by ONEone78 View Post
    terribly, none of our OP stuff showed up.
    Somehow, our OP showed up, but we didn't get the order for the gravity feeds we had to order to GET the kit. I feel bad for the store, lol.

Also, a little off topic - but how do people feel about the judge/tournament organizer for the store playing in the Rainbow Draft weekend, whether or not they make it an uneven number.

I won't get more into it, but normally, I judge, and will only jump into the tourney of whatever sort if there's an odd number, to make it even. However, this was a different, more special event, and I told the group ahead of time (except for one person I suppose) that I was planning on playing/judging this ONE TIME only, even if there was an odd number and someone had to have a bye each rounds. I wouldn't do that unless it was something of this magnitude, and I was under the impression that was what was expected for this event, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

On subject, we drafted JL for DC kit... I got 2nd this time, so I got a Robin in addition to another Aquaman, which is cool - I obviously would've liked the Joker full art, but it's kind of creepy looking, and would've just been sold/traded.

We used WoL for our prize packs (each person buys 15 boosters, 3 go into prize pool, with winner getting more than 3, going down to loser getting 1 or maybe 2), and first and second place both ended up also opening an SR in their prize packs... I got the Lantern Battery, which was my biggest want, and the only card I still need from the set except for BL Batman and all the full art Black Lanterns.

Super cool weekend.

Also, a little off topic - but how do people feel about the judge/tournament organizer for the store playing in the Rainbow Draft weekend, whether or not they make it an uneven number.

I won't get more into it, but normally, I judge, and will only jump into the tourney of whatever sort if there's an odd number, to make it even. However, this was a different, more special event, and I told the group ahead of time (except for one person I suppose) that I was planning on playing/judging this ONE TIME only, even if there was an odd number and someone had to have a bye each rounds. I wouldn't do that unless it was something of this magnitude, and I was under the impression that was what was expected for this event, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I don't have an issue with the TO playing, in any event. The only time I would question it is if they are making questionable rulings that directly benefit them, but at the events I play at that has definitely not been the case. The TO usually checks with other players who are knowledgeable about current WKRF postings and rules accordingly.

If the judge doesn't participate, I feel they should get the 5th full art card/"Fellowship" prize (Storm or Aquaman) if they want it.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2317 View Post
    I don't have an issue with the TO playing, in any event. The only time I would question it is if they are making questionable rulings that directly benefit them, but at the events I play at that has definitely not been the case. The TO usually checks with other players who are knowledgeable about current WKRF postings and rules accordingly.

If the judge doesn't participate, I feel they should get the 5th full art card/"Fellowship" prize (Storm or Aquaman) if they want it.
    If the judge doesn't participate... is it even a question if they get the card? The thing is, the judge does more than just make judgements during that one event - they write up events, think up new ones (which can be hard), spend time putting it all up on the WES, hyping it in local Facebook groups and on this website, come in early to set up, etc... It's not a "prize" so much as a "payment" to be honest, and a pretty small one if you ask me, for organizing everything, helping the store with their orders, etc, etc, etc...

From the RDW solicit sent to stores that qualified (it was e-mailed to me, in a longer list of other things, after we qualified and signed up): An extra Semi-Finalist card is included to be given to a judge or event staffer. It goes to the person that put in the most work to make it happen.

The judge gets that regardless, because they are the ones who set everything up, hype the event, come in and set up chairs, etc... It's literally for the judge/tournament organizer, so it's not so much a prize as it is literal payment for the time spent setting everything up and being the one to organize everything during the tourney. Not that judging is back breaking work, but if the solicit explicitly states that an extra card is included specifically for the organizer... the card is for the organizer.

Also, this is assuming that everyone at the store is cool with the judge, and they don't make questionable rulings that benefit themselves.

But for real, the one card that was given from each Marvel/DC set for the judge/TO is definitely fair. I know I've spent a month posting here and on Facebook, e-mailing the games manager and figuring out which product, coming in early to set up the event and figure out the last minute problems that come up (we got out prize cards in but not the GFs we HAD to order to participate, lol), and I'll freely admit that I have no problem taking one, last place prize card for that trouble. Another judge at the store judged the other event and got the other judge card from the other set, and he deserved it just as much.

Those cards have nothing to do with playing, so much as actually putting in work, etc...

For a normal weekend, with a normal prize kit, though, I have ONLY EVER played if the number was uneven without me, even dropping out if someone shows up last second. When I do play, I don't take any prizes, considering I already got my judge one, and just skip myself when I announce places. I will say that I still took prize packs, at first, because I didn't think about them as prizes so much (when you buy in, you buy 15 not 12 and put 3 in the prize pool... some stores will literally charge $15 for 12 boosters which is totally a jerk move - they could still sell extra product and make money without pocketing for nothing - people are already paying to play and buying snacks, etc...) - which was totally my fault. I just thought of the prize packs as more superfluous. I have sense learned to just buy 12 packs (if I am going to participate), and just make the prize pack pool 3 smaller, and have one less stack than total players (to leave me out).