Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BLAquaman

When fielded, KO all Aquaman Dice. At the beginning of each turn, the active player must move a non-(Black Lantern Corps) character die from the Used Pile back to its card.

Never says "your" characters.

The ability says "the active player". anytime an ability effects your opponent's used pile it has referred to it as such. I'm gonna go with, "the used pile" means your used pile and the ability would have no effect. If that is the case, Wonder Woman might be more powerful for competitive play. I do firmly believe that Nasty Plot was the precursor to a much needed uprising of the villains in this game. Black Lantern Aquaman could play a big part in the hard control teams to come.

As with most instances like this, you comply with as much of the card's ability text as you possibly can.

If you have no qualifying dice in your Used Pile at the start of the turn, then you simply move on. Just like the first statement. If you field him and there are no other Aquaman dice to KO, there is no consequence other than you don't get to benefit from that ability.

There is no consequence to not having a qualifying die.

The target Used Pile, while not explicitly stated as your own, is implied as your own through the context of the statement. As Heavy said, "Active Player" sets up the context.

Yeah I directly linked to DiceAnon's images.

Quote Originally Posted by Camalott View Post
    As with most instances like this, you comply with as much of the card's ability text as you possibly can.

If you have no qualifying dice in your Used Pile at the start of the turn, then you simply move on. Just like the first statement. If you field him and there are no other Aquaman dice to KO, there is no consequence other than you don't get to benefit from that ability.

There is no consequence to not having a qualifying die.

The target Used Pile, while not explicitly stated as your own, is implied as your own through the context of the statement. As Heavy said, "Active Player" sets up the context.
    I believe there is at least one card (I don't recall which) in WoL that uses "the Used Pile", in a context that clearly means it is referring to your opponents' Used Pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion0x17 View Post
    I believe there is at least one card (I don't recall which) in WoL that uses "the Used Pile", in a context that clearly means it is referring to your opponents' Used Pile.
    Maybe Lyssa Drak - Fear of the Unknown?

When Lyssa Drak attacks, you may draw a die from your opponent's bag and swap it with a die from the Used Pile or return it to the bag.

I don't like how that card is worded. Ran into it last weekend and it caused a bit of an argument.

We settled on it being my die bag the dice is drawn from, and my Used Pile that it could be swapped with. We based that off of the fact that the statement announced the opponent (rather - me) as the contextual starting point for the rest of the statement.

If it were swapping one of your dice with a sidekick from their used pile, that would be one of the nastiest cards in the game. Just field spam her and start loading your opponent up with your sidekicks.

I think games like MTG have spoiled a lot of us who are/were players of said game. As you said, MTG has had 20+ years to grow and figure it out. Once they got the hang of templating their cards, confusion went down and enjoyment went up.

When developing a competitive game, your wording must be as simple as possible while leaving the least amount of room for misinterpretation.

Hopefully it will not take WK that long.

Regardless, it really is only a small handful of cards per set that usually cause questions and confusion. The greater bulk of them are straight-forward and easy enough to understand/play.

I think games like MTG have spoiled a lot of us who are/were players of said game. As you said, MTG has had 20+ years to grow and figure it out. Once they got the hang of templating their cards, confusion went down and enjoyment went up.

When developing a competitive game, your wording must be as simple as possible while leaving the least amount of room for misinterpretation.

Hopefully it will not take WK that long.

Regardless, it really is only a small handful of cards per set that usually cause questions and confusion. The greater bulk of them are straight-forward and easy enough to understand/play.

True story. MtG has been going strong for A LONG TIME!!! WK can improve their templating by taking a look at how R&D at WotC goes down.

Can you imagine still rolling dice in 10yrs or more? I think the game has the potential for longevity like that adding Ninja Turtles, Transformers even stretching to Power Rangers or WOW. Could be going strong for a long time!

I don't like how that card is worded. Ran into it last weekend and it caused a bit of an argument.

We settled on it being my die bag the dice is drawn from, and my Used Pile that it could be swapped with. We based that off of the fact that the statement announced the opponent (rather - me) as the contextual starting point for the rest of the statement.

If it were swapping one of your dice with a sidekick from their used pile, that would be one of the nastiest cards in the game. Just field spam her and start loading your opponent up with your sidekicks.
    I think this was the most fair ruling. It's a simple word change of "the used pile" to "your used pile. Both Lyssa and B-Aquaman have noteable implications as to who should be effected by the ability. Still need WK to confirm, but I think we can safely play it the not broken way until then

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred414 View Post
    I read somewhere, I think when this card was first teased, that if you target sidekicks they get removed from the game, effectively culling them. This is true, I hope?
    If this were so, it would directly contradict the Rulebook as well as at least 3-4 different WKRF postings. I think it's fairly safe to say that Game Trade Magazine was either given incorrect information or made an incorrect speculation.

The source of the sidekick removal idea actually comes from an article on WizKids' own website!!!

However, they have, since then, ruled that Sidekicks are only characters when in the Field, or on an SK face when in Reserve, IIRC.

So, it needs a WKRF ruling to confirm which interpretation is correct.

For both the Aquaman and Wonder Woman BL cards...if you actually can choose an opponents dice for these effects, it makes them distinctly worse IMO.

They both say "At the start of the turn"...so...if I field one of those characters during my turn, I'm giving that bonus to my opponent first at the start of his next turn. If the opposing player can then find a way to knock out my BL on his turn, then all that has been accomplished is a negative to me...I don't get a chance to affect one of his dice on my turn.

Maybe I'm missing something becuase I haven't played with these cards yet...but why would I want to do any of that?

Despite the poor wording, I believe the intent of these cards was to choose your own characters. Much more thematic that way too I believe.
    Last edited by Meatman; 09-23-2015 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred414 View Post
    I read somewhere, I think when this card was first teased, that if you target sidekicks they get removed from the game, effectively culling them. This is true, I hope?
    It would be nice, but since Sidekicks don't have cards, then it's only talking about purchased characters. Besides... you can't cull the sidekicks! They are people too!

Quote Originally Posted by Meatman View Post
    For both the Aquaman and Wonder Woman BL cards...if you actually can choose an opponents dice for these effects, it makes them distinctly worse IMO.

They both say "At the start of the turn"...so...if I field one of those characters during my turn, I'm giving that bonus to my opponent first at the start of his next turn. If the opposing player can then find a way to knock out my BL on his turn, then all that has been accomplished is a negative to me...I don't get a chance to affect one of his dice on my turn.

Maybe I'm missing something becuase I haven't played with these cards yet...but why would I want to do any of that?

Despite the poor wording, I believe the intent of these cards was to choose your own characters. Much more thematic that way too I believe.
    Aquaman specifically says the "active player" puts a die from used back on a card. So they do it on their next turn and you do it on your turn

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Aquaman specifically says the "active player" puts a die from used back on a card. So they do it on their next turn and you do it on your turn
    Yes...and the suggestion here is that the active player can choose to target one of thier opponent's characters with this ability. So...if I field a BL...my opponent gets to use this ability first, potentially taking out one of my characters. Then...if they have some sort of targeted removal that they can activate on thier own turn...say...Kwonnon or JG...they could take out my BL before I get any benifit from the ability at all.