Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big Entrance aggro - we've been calling this build "Vader Time"

Big Entrance aggro - we've been calling this build "Vader Time"

Again, because War Of Light has missing colon codes I'll just text drop it. Though if you read the build everything should be apparent.

Globals
    Silver Surfer Global - 1
    PXG - 1
    Doomcaliber Knight Global - 1

Utility
    Prismatic Spray - 1

Dudes That You Actually Purchase
    Guy Gardner - Blinding Rage (f/?) - 4
    Miri Riam - Beacon In The Dark (b) - 4
    Kitty Pryde - Aerial (m) - 4
    Zombie - Greater Undead (s) - 4

BACs
    Relentless
    Big Entrance

So this is a one trick pony that is probably far from tier 1. Turn 1 you buy Big Entrance + Silver Surfer Global (hopefully), Turn 2 you roll 100% of the time roll a Big Entrance + SKs, the aim is to get the action face + any four energy but with a preference for bolts and fists. Spent ?s as fists to buy Guys. The section marked "Dudes You Actually Purchase" has 1 character that costs 2 for each type of energy. The important thing is that they're the most efficient character of each energy type with at least 2 0 cost faces. Place Dudes in bag - turn 3 you draw 4 dudes from bag and hopefully have lethal. Also note because all of your guys cost 2 Miri Riam + Guy allows you to roll a double energy facing, purchase a guy, and put that guy into play on turn 3 in case you whiff on one of your rolls. Also, Miri Riam + Guy + any purchase on a future turn puts that die directly into play.

Tips for playing: Hit the face. Deliver the Vader Bomb.

To make this worst bring the Red Dragon Global.

Turn 1:
    Pay a bolt and 1 energy to purchase a Big Entrance (right into your bag). Also 1 free damage.
    Next pay for Silver Surfers Global to draw one dice for prep.
    Next pay for PXG global on your opponents turn.

One your next turn you'll have 6 side kicks and a big entrance to roll possibly purchasing 6 units!

Pretty crazy!

Just curious, why wouldn't you use Resurrection global instead of Silver Surfers and save yourself the two life?

I think the team is so aggro heavy silver surfer makes more sense as your opponent may be tempted to burn themselves a bit for prep as well. Any free damage you'll take.

Angel - Soaring for the shield over Zombie. May not be as cost efficient but synergizes with all the actions.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post
    Angel - Soaring for the shield over Zombie. May not be as cost efficient but synergizes with all the actions.
    I second this. Its the only addition I can see. Angel has solid stats, fits your aggressive strategy and he will let you need less masks to find lethal. I really like how you used Miri Riam. I keep over complicating her ability >.<

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMeth0d View Post
    I second this. Its the only addition I can see. Angel has solid stats, fits your aggressive strategy and he will let you need less masks to find lethal. I really like how you used Miri Riam. I keep over complicating her ability >.<
    I could see this going either way. Unblockable is nice but a 0-0-1 fielding cost is nice as well. I guess a 0-1-1- isn't much more.

Quote Originally Posted by KennedyHawk View Post
    To make this worst bring the Red Dragon Global.

Turn 1:
    Pay a bolt and 1 energy to purchase a Big Entrance (right into your bag). Also 1 free damage.
    Next pay for Silver Surfers Global to draw one dice for prep.
    Next pay for PXG global on your opponents turn.

One your next turn you'll have 6 side kicks and a big entrance to roll possibly purchasing 6 units!

Pretty crazy!
    Yup, and it actually gets better than that. Easy to slot in too. If you cut Silver Surfer for it, then put in Resurrection you get way more consistency on damage. The thing is you don't want to buy 6 units necessarily - you want to get 4 lethal units going into turn 3 - having 2 extra dice to roll = 4 more rolls on turn 2 but the weird thing is you'd rather spend those rolls ramping dice or fielding sidekicks. Having extra dice on turn 3 = more likely to proc Miri = more dice for Guy. Also it means you can straight up field SKs for more damage or spend more energy buying actions to burn them. It also makes Angel fit in over Zombie since it gives you actual energy.

I have a team with the same key players ready to go for the next constructed event. Looking forward to trying it out, it should be fun.
    My mind set is a constant rush to win with everything supporting that. I havent even decided on a second character beyond GG that I would really want to field. If you dont do it in a few turns, youre probably not going to do it at all, and I think buying things beyond the rush is going to hurt more than help. If you could do the big entrance combo with a couple cards, and have several cards to finish, that would probably be good, but even then if you fail the rush you have big entrance/GGs/other weenies that are not going to help you do much and will keep your bag flooded with dice you dont want.
    I think the idea could actually be pretty competitive tho. Maybe one of the most consistent turn 3 kills.

Also, I used Silver Surfer mine too. BACs are a very precious slot, especially in builds like this!

Quote Originally Posted by alleyviper View Post

If you're willing to go up in field cost at all you may consider swapping Kitty Pryde for Lyssa Drak common.

You can effectively hurt them if they choose to block if you don't have the energy for Relentless. They block with your named character throw two side kicks back in their bag. She has the same attack stats as kitty pryde but one higher TFC.

I've been playing with a deck like this using the 2 cost Lex Luthor (shields) 2 cost Lyssa (masks), 2 cost ultron drone (fists) and the SR thanos, you can often get him down to a 2-4 cost by turn 4. With big entrance it can get pretty nasty!

The current build I'm testing is

PXG
    Red Dragon
    DCK
    Prismatic Spray
    Guy
    Angel
    Kitty
    Miri

Resurrect
    Big Entrance

It seems pretty close to optimum. If I wanted more utility I could switch Kitty for Kwannon as a form of removal and she also the 0-0-1 fielding cost thing. The thing is Kitty deals 1 more damage on every facing which is relevant. I'm also switching the die numbers around, running less Kitty and more Prismatic Spray dice because sometimes you straight up need to buy 2 Prismatic Sprays for consistency. It's not difficult for the opponent to have a Hulk out by turn 3 or 4. For what it's worth, in testing if it were possible to run a 9th card I'd want it to be Silver Surfer so I could switch Res back to Relentless. While Angel can push some damage through, buying an Angel and sitting there waiting for a spray or big entrance to cycle back through is often not proactive enough and buying Big Entrance just so you can draw it next turn can sometimes dilute the bag a bit much. I've also considered running Tsarina over Guy because it's a more consistent damage output and doesn't get stuffed by an opponent fielding a sidekick on turn 1 or 2. All in all, I'd say the power is there to be one of the fastest builds but it just kinda loses to random things. Because sidekicks on turn 1 and 2 are real things though, I actually think Miri is the strongest card in the current build. Being able to just put more crap on the board is often all you need to do to push in that last bit of damage. She gives it the resilience the build needs to win after turn 3.

I have been experimenting with this time of Aggro and I have been enjoying the name "Premium Rush". This is the type of turn 3/4 win that can even get around Mera Global if you know what to do.

Is Hawkeye - Formerly Ronin an potential replacement for Kitty? I haven't played with this team yet but it seems like you'll be fielding him before you're opponent has taken damage, making his drawback obsolete. He's got the 001 fielding cost but offers 1 more attack at level 1. That assumes your running a version without Silver Surfer.

Mera is a double-edged sword. And the ruling that was just passed down form SLC absolutely cripples her. First, you have to pay a for each occurrence of damage that is over 5. So the Patch team hitting for 4 each time, she cannot be used. And if it hits for say 7 each time with pump, you need 2 to deal down all of the damage. Worse, is that if you are holding energy to dial back my damage, by the time you get to dial down you can't change your mind if I do not get to a damage level you can use it. And what I mean by this is Damage is dealt after the ability to use Global abilities. So you can pay for Mera to react to the damage; however, if I fail to pump above the required damage to activate Mera and you didn't use that energy for something else like PxG. It would be lost as there is no other opportunity to use a global ability.

Lastly, ANY energy spent on Mera'a protection is energy that they did not use to ramp, purchase dice, or pay costs. Newer players have a tendency to continually purchase dice, which greatly punishes them. Once you start sacrificing your ability to pay fielding costs, ramps, or obtaining your own win con, then your out of Parity quadrant and into the Losing / Behind quadrant.

In highly aggressive teams, one of the unspoken strategies is the continual pounding of your opponents defenders. Every die in the KO pile has an unfortunate ability to hit either energy or an unfieldible character. I think the odds for hitting a character is like 75% between two rolls; however, it happens all the time. And the higher the TFC of your opponents win con, the more obvious the energy burn becomes.

So if you are play an aggressive team and your opponent is playing Mera. I say force the issue every turn. They are using energy to protect life. Eventually, the repeated waves crashing will break their energy bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Is Hawkeye - Formerly Ronin an potential replacement for Kitty? I haven't played with this team yet but it seems like you'll be fielding him before you're opponent has taken damage, making his drawback obsolete. He's got the 001 fielding cost but offers 1 more attack at level 1. That assumes your running a version without Silver Surfer.
    The turn 3 kill isn't super consistent and the drawback is too much after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wargfn View Post
    So you can pay for Mera to react to the damage; however, if I fail to pump above the required damage to activate Mera and you didn't use that energy for something else like PxG. It would be lost as there is no other opportunity to use a global ability.

So I was thinking about how this would play out:
    (Mera global, Anger Issues global, and PXG)

1. Declare attackers: You attack with three 4/4 characters.
    2. Declare blockers: two of your characters are chump blocked with SK'S.
    3. Actions/Globals: You "could" use Anger Issues global to give +1A (multiple times) to your unblocked character. but instead, you simply pass to me. I use my only mask to PXG, passing back to you. You pump your character.
    4. Damage is dealt. I don't have any masks left.

OR, I know you'll do that, so I don't PXG... I pass back (wasting my mask, and killing my ramp) and since we both passed without action, attack step moves immediately to damage, and I take 4.
    (You also lose your fist energy)

*I like your post. not disagreeing at all. I just wanted to lay it out in game play (for the new players here). This is what you are referring to, correct?
    Last edited by SarkhanMad; 09-29-2015 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SarkhanMad View Post
    This is what you are referring to, correct?
    Exactly, I appreciate you taking the idea and making it clear for newer players. In the end, I would probably force the pump up to 4 across as many characters as possible or pushing two characters to 5 or as evenly as possible, if you only had 1 energy. AND I wouldn't say any energy in my reserve pool is wasted, as I will be on the defensive with that same energy in my reserve pool. So I might be able to use it to send one of your attacking characters to the Prep Area clearing it out of my way on my next turn. The defensive player is the one whom just got borked, because it is there turn after the attack and unused energy goes to the Used Pile at the beginning of the Clear and Draw Step.

Had a breakthrough with this build last night. You can actually improve consistency by straight up not running a 2 drop mask character. Kitty Pryde is 100% unnecessary. Replace her with Silver Surfer and run Relentless. If you can't get the turn 3 kill which wasn't super consistent anyway, it's better to ramp more on turn 2 to further set up the bag for turn 4 on turn 3. It's actually possible to "go off" twice before turn 5. It makes you less reliant on Angel, and makes Miri slightly better because your energy is better used. Straight up 24 out of 25 games had a kill by turn 4 with this.

http://dm.retrobox.eu/?view&cards=1x...x25wol;3x31uxm

So you have a lot of small characters hitting for 3 - 4 with Doomcaliber Knight protecting them from Zombie Magneto and coming in under Mera's ability to reduce damage. I see the logic behind Silver Surfer (Added Shield Ramp) / Prismatic Spray / Red Dragon (Global to grab all the BE dice); however, you really are straying from your streamline absolute victory condition, BEAT FAST and HARD EARLY. So, I would suggest you look at Spider-Man Webslinger, since your biggest obstacle is your opponent walling up in the early game to block your hordes of low characters. He swings in, you pay a and your opponent is left wide hope for the other characters hits. IF it was me, I would replace Prismatic Spray with Spidey. You would use Prismatic Spray on say Hulk Green Goliath, or a Zombie Magneto, which both are protected by a Single DCK use. If you don't spend the on DCK, you still can punch through for big with Spidey, since all damage during the Assign Damage step happens simultaneously, Green Goliath would not hit back for Spidey's damage until after your opponent takes the damage and your characters are in the Used Pile for getting through. And any other argument about timing, sends your entire attacking force, which will get wiped with GG to the KO pile after Damaging your opponent, because Spidey has to deal the damage first (which is the same time your opponent takes damage).

Z-Mag doesn't target so DCK doesn't really help there. It does help against Mera though. Also, the current build actually gets the turn 3 just as frequently as the previous build did. It just performs better when it doesn't. The thing is it was never possible to get it to kill on turn 3 with any consistency. It wasn't a turn 3 combo-kill for the same reason high hopes isn't.

The hard part in this deck is you don't have a flex spot. I'm now seeing the advantage of prismatic spray for Zmag protection.

@jevansfp was running this team and he clobbered me! it was less then 5 minutes.

It was a modified version, but had this build at its core. Iswapped out DCK for Spiderman, but every team had Distraction. The team that finally beat me was from @IsaacBV and included everything I didn't want to see: Distraction, Hellblazer, Lysa Drak, Mera, and Zombie Magneto. I took Pris Spray off also. Big mistake.